Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Level 10 user

Women no more chatty than men, study finds

No need for me to comment further.

Women no more chatty than men, study finds

July 5, 2007, We've all been led to believe that women love nothing more than to gab all day, while men are more likely to keep silent. But new research challenges the notion.

Matthias R. Mehl, an assistant professor of psychology at The University of Arizona, set out to debunk the growing "urban legend" that a woman uses about three times as many words in a day as a man.

He particularly wanted to challenge the findings in the bestselling book "The Female Brain" by neuropsychiatrist Louann Brizendine that contends that women use 20,000 words a day, while a man uses only about 7,000.

Mehl and the others recorded the conversations of nearly 400 U.S. and Mexican male and female university students who were between the ages of 19 and 25 years old in a series of studies conducted over six years.

To catch all of this chit-chat, they developed an electronically-activated recorder that digitally logged the daily conversations of those who wore the device. ....

The results:

Women in the study spoke a daily average of 16,215 words
Men spoke an average of 15,669 words.

So true, the women win, but not by a statistically significant margin. Mehl also noted that there are "very large individual differences around this mean."

Among the three most talkative males in the study, one used 47,000 words. The least talkative male spoke just a little more than 500," Mehl said.

The research is reported in the July 6 issue of the journal Science. ....

But the last word, at least from this study, is that "the widespread and highly publicized stereotype about female talkativeness and male reticence is unfounded."
Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Women no more chatty than men, study finds

the question is what they were talking about?
Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Level 10 user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVIx89E5XqU
Old 07-15-2007, 01:48 PM
ISC Member

Sometimes, I go so many days without speaking that it takes a while for my brain and mouth to become reaccustomed to speech!
Old 07-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julianna
Sometimes, I go so many days without speaking that it takes a while for my brain and mouth to become reaccustomed to speech!

My kind of girl,... Will you marry me?

Men and women aren't nearly as far apart biologically as many would like to think. Sociologically is another matter and our environment, primary and secondary peer groups plays a key role in what we are and what we become.

We're actually more flexible in this respect than ever before. The level of freedom in determining what we wish to be has never been heard of since the notion of pink for girls and blue for boys.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
We're actually more flexible in this respect than ever before. The level of freedom in determining what we wish to be has never been heard of since the notion of pink for girls and blue for boys.
In the last couple of years it seems, I have seen very young boys and girls dressed in yellow (over diapers). Don't know how common this is, but yellow also is used in various hospital locations, I think, to get a warmer response from people. A sort of neutral gray-green, as I remember, has been used in court jury waiting rooms, to induce a sort of calming while several hundred people wait for possible duty.

Color is put to use frequently by psychologists these days, i seems.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Level 10 user

Well, the study quoted is not about this forum. Over here, the women like Juliana are not chatty.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:30 AM
ISC Member

So it seems all I need to do to get a proposal is keep my mouth shut!

hehe
Old 07-23-2007, 05:00 AM
Level 10 user

Well, it's not a prerequisite, but definitely a plus and I mean that sincerely.. Sometimes I feel misunderstood as being distant and have been labeled aloof. I can spend all day focusing on rock or whatever else without ever realizing what is going on around me. When people talk to me and I'm working I nod my head absently and I can't seem to help it, so I think the less said to me the better. It doesn't mean that I'm not listening or don't care, I just get absorbed very easily and love to concentrate and study.
It doesn't hurt that you cut rock and are thoughtful and beautiful too and so no, that's not all that's required, it's just very nice in addition.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 AM
ISC Member

Quote:
Sometimes I feel misunderstood as being distant and have been labeled aloof. I can spend all day focusing on rock or whatever else without ever realizing what is going on around me. When people talk to me and I'm working I nod my head absently and I can't seem to help it, so I think the less said to me the better. It doesn't mean that I'm not listening or don't care, I just get absorbed very easily and love to concentrate and study.
Haha. Well, I usually am misunderstood to be the quiet Asian girl whose English isn't very good. Until, of course, they start talking about copyright or something and can't get a word in edgewise and I'm suddenly perfectly articulate!

Quote:
It doesn't hurt that you cut rock and are thoughtful and beautiful too and so no, that's not all that's required, it's just very nice in addition.
Awwwww
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Level 10 user

Well, wouldn't you know it... I'm impervious to everything in the known universe except for articulate and attractive Asian women who cut rock.

I've often wondered about meeting someone who shared the same passion and getting married and working together and having something in common for once. What a life it could be working and learning from each other and living happily ever after like you're supposed to! I think one of the reasons I've been single all my life is because I just get lost in the work and not because I don't want to. I just couldn't get married to a normal woman,... She'd just never understand exactly where it is that I go and the beauty that I find when I go there.

Take all the time you like to make a decision, I'm in no big hurry and never really have been, but if the answer turns out to be yes then watch out because: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drXXw...elated&search=

Oops, had it right the first time..

Last edited by StevenW : 07-30-2007 at 03:23 AM.