Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM
Level 4 user

Sculpture Review - technology edition

The new edition of Sculpture Review magazine hitting the streets now is devoted entirely to the use of technology for the creation of art & sculpture.

The cover article in fact was written by our own Harry Abramson, our Director of Art Services. I am hopeful this edition and in particular this piece by Harry, will spark discussion on this forum.

See http://www.sculpturereview.com for a preview.

As an example, the cover image was entirely digitally created as a photo quality rendering from a high resolution 3D polygon model of an original piece we laser scanned at a museum in Philadelphia.

We hope you all find this article and edition interesting and Harry and I would be happy to discuss further.

Michael Raphael
410-998-0880
info@dirdim.com
Laser Scanning by Direct Dimensions, Inc.
Visit Direct 3Dview and Waldies Comfy Clogs at waldies.net
Old 02-27-2008, 10:05 AM

Re: Sculpture Review - technology edition

Thanks for the link. I went to the ISC's conference in New Orleans the year beofore Katrina hit and there was a good panel about this. I don't remember the term "formtography" being in use then, though that could be a fault of this fading memory of mine.
JAZ
Old 05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Level 1 user

Re: Sculpture Review - technology edition

Glad to see a topic started on this edition. I was pleased when we were contacted for two of the stories in the magazine. Its nice to see how other companies are using some of the same technologies we are and how they have implemented them in their line of work. Like posted before any questions or discussion would be great, especially in the Exploring Digital Technologies section. We are one of the many companys working on The American monument and I havent seen much discussion about this piece on the net. I would love the oppotunity to anwer any and all questions about the project and the technology being used to keep the overall costs low on this monumental project.

John Pontari
Synappsys Digital Services
Norman, OK
www.synappsys.com