Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Level 10 user

o8 projects

Hey know,how bout sharing are 08 projects,exhibits,or commisions.I am working on a 14' horse for a collector out of state.I usually start with the body,lift it to hight to add legs,build inner frame,add head and tail,then hind quarters last and presto I will have a stainless horse.Did I mention,polish,buff,grind,polish buff,grind,gotta make her shine......IA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	7648  
Old 01-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Level 10 user

Re: o8 projects

Yer takin' it to new heights, IA (literally). So this means a twenty-footer will be coming soon. Very nice.

I'm glad you asked this, as we all must remember that this forum should encompass and include all the ups, downs and general goings-on that occur in the life of a sculptor. I enjoy all the grandstanding as much as the complaining (being guilty of both).

Irony, one of my favorite words because it contains "iron",...irony would have YOU ask this because I am presently embarking upon my first commissioned horse sculpture. It will be a larger-than-life rendition, forged scrap-metal executed in the same fashion as my large figure works (namely Greed).

Aside from that I have two other life-and-a-half figurations to complete by spring. (And of course a few of the usual umentionable projects involving furniture and architecture). A group show in Brooklyn in Feb, and the constant constructing of unsellable abstractions that I will hopefully be carting around the country proving to unsuspecting passersby that sculptors are truly from another planet.

So thats the Evaldart calender in a nutshell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hors2.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	7656  Click image for larger version

Name:	greedsm3.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	7657  
Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Level 10 user

Show of small works, including some metal and wood sculpture, along with a lot of embroidered pieces and painted inkjet prints, at Punch Gallery in Seattle thru January-
http://www.punchgallery.org/exhibitions/2008-01.html

A pair of entryway sculptures for Skagit Valley College, stainless steel, each about 10 feet tall, gotta be done by May.

Bike Racks for 48 plus bikes, St. Cloud Library, St. Cloud Mn. Forged Stainless, still figgering out the exact details, but they need to be done in April or so.

Fabricate 6 Chandeliers for my wife- each one 16' x 24' x 8' tall. These probably wont need to be done til sometime in the summer, as the Light Rail Station they go in is running behind schedule in construction.
http://www.sheilaklein.com/pages/skyphotos.htm

Thats all I got right now, and its really not enough to keep me and the boys busy all year- so I am hustling, trying to get some work lined up for Fall/Winter.

Gotta feed the beast, you know.
And I prefer to keep my two employees, well, employed. Its not easy to find good guys, to train em, and get em up to speed.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Level 10 user

Ries, I wish I was on your side of the world to see the show. Damn funny. loved the "raves'' from the critics. And thanks for the heads-up that the ultimate critic there is your wife. Makes it all the better. It reminds me it's okay to have some fun.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Level 10 user

Here is a teaser-

"If your only tool is a hammer"
Which consists of an 18" long steel nail, with a cell phone engraved in it, sitting on an embroidered black velvet cloth, the text of which reads- "If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nailphone.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	7678  
Old 01-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Level 10 user

and it is a teaser. Now I want to see that bit of wisdom in context with its neighbors.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Level 10 user

Hey Ries:

If you are there for the installation, St. Cloud is only an hour away from me.
So you could give me a call and come over for a visit.
We can talk art, religion, politics, arm wrestle, get into a fight out in the woods, and part friends.

April is a nice pre-mosquito time out here.

GlennT
Old 01-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Level 10 user

Usually when I install, I am on a tight schedule- but its always possible.
Maybe we could skip the arm wrestling, and go to the Walker together- and critique the work.
Whats the title of that old Magazine song- "Shot by both Sides"?

When I used to do the ACC Baltimore show, a few of us would get up early, and, before the official 9am opening time, wander the aisles and critique the booths and the crafts within em. We certainly did not agree all the time, but we all learned and enjoyed the process immensely.

We could film Glenn and I disagreeing about artwork, and explaining why, and become the next big You Tube stars- well, at least until the next dancing cats in wigs video comes out...
Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ries View Post
Maybe we could skip the arm wrestling, and go to the Walker together- and critique the work.

We could film Glenn and I disagreeing about artwork, and explaining why, and become the next big You Tube stars...
A possible sample:

Ries: Glenn, check out this Framplegarp installation. This guy really knows how to manipulate space and skew the viewer's perceptions...

Glenn: Ries, all I see is an empty room.

Ries: You're letting your preconceptions limit the experience.

Glenn: What about this sign? It says; " Walker room # 35. Framplegarp exhibit here, May thru August, 2008 " It's only April.

Ries: See, what a master, that Framplegarp! He's already doing it with the sign!

pause

Glenn: Ries, I just checked with the security guard. He says that the room has been emptied so they can install the Framplegarp exhibit next week.

Ries: Hah! the security guard is part of the installation. What genius!

Glenn: Okay, I think I'm getting the picture. Ries, look over there. Now that's an installation I can understand.

Ries: That's not an installation, thats the Walker's food concession.

Glenn: How can that be? That's not food, it's a bunch of croissants with enough brie and lettuce to feed half a mouse! For $10 a pop!

( Fade to Glenn going towards the Institute of Arts to get some real food and real art, leaving Ries in an estatic trance of sensory overload, having encountered too many of the Walker's heros and masterworks all in one building )
Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
A possible sample:

Ries: Glenn, check out this Framplegarp installation. This guy really knows how to manipulate space and skew the viewer's perceptions...

Glenn: Ries, all I see is an empty room.

Ries: You're letting your preconceptions limit the experience.

Glenn: What about this sign? It says; " Walker room # 35. Framplegarp exhibit here, May thru August, 2008 " It's only April.

Ries: See, what a master, that Framplegarp! He's already doing it with the sign!

pause

Glenn: Ries, I just checked with the security guard. He says that the room has been emptied so they can install the Framplegarp exhibit next week.

Ries: Hah! the security guard is part of the installation. What genius!

Glenn: Okay, I think I'm getting the picture. Ries, look over there. Now that's an installation I can understand.

Ries: That's not an installation, thats the Walker's food concession.

Glenn: How can that be? That's not food, it's a bunch of croissants with enough brie and lettuce to feed half a mouse! For $10 a pop!

( Fade to Glenn going towards the Institute of Arts to get some real food and real art, leaving Ries in an estatic trance of sensory overload, having encountered too many of the Walker's heros and masterworks all in one building )
This thread, where I imagine going to the Walker Art Museum with Ries, came up briefly the other day due to a spammer using it. I wrote this a year ago, and still find it funny although no one else was moved to comment. Ries, being either a dirty rotten scoundrel or busy on a tight schedule, did not take me up on the offer to visit my studio during his spring installation a mere 1 1/2 hours away. Was it something I said?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Level 10 user

Well Glenn, I promise that if I ever get within a couple hours of your place I'm comin' over. Stranger things have happened, I'll warn you though, so you can put some beer in the house.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Level 10 user

And MEAT- you will need several hundred pounds of meat. And dont forget the microwave burritos- I believe you can buy them by the gross at Costco.

I am sorry I didnt visit Glenn when I was in Minnesota. For all my disagreements with his politics, I am sure we would have had an enjoyable afternoon.

But it was a quick trip, and I worked so hard I was happy to just go home.
I was travelling way too much this last fall- I was on an airplane more than once a month. Some work, some family, some pleasure.
Although I enjoy getting there, airplanes themselves are never pleasure.

Anyway, its 2009 now- what about THIS years projects?

I am finishing an install on monday, of a bunch of "amelioration" for a private developer, to help him grease the skids with the city for tearing down two city blocks of one story buildings, and replacing them with 6 story apartments. Not required 1% for art, just a little icing on the cake.

Then, I am opening another solo show in two weeks- and I still have a lot of art to make- should be doing that, instead of typing.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Level 10 user

Oh Ries typing NEVER interferes with any work, by now I'm sure you've conquered Time (haven't you?). I, myself am waiting for paint to dry presently for an architectural diddy which will be installled in Rhinebeck NY tomorrow. The F 350 is chomping at the bit.
Other than that, I have a commission with a local private school (cor ten), some piddlings of furniture, and BIG plans for the unsellables.

Then sculpture season starts (March).
Old 01-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Level 6 user

Sculpture season?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:21 AM
Level 10 user

yeah, its kinda like baseball season. You get yerself and yer truck in good shape, load up with all manner of heavy shit, and haul it all around your region. This goes on for me all the way into October. Sculpture parks, private collection, front yards, (back yards), institutions, public gardens, dark alleys, festivals, galleries, museums, art centers, campuses, the sides of buildings...NO ONE escapes the intrusions of Evaldart during these months. Money gets made, the boneyard churns, lookers get enlightened, the F-350 takes-on a few rugged scars and, in the end, I've made the world better by simply busting-ass to get better myself.
No World Series though. By October the Whoppers on the interstate are not drawing me out as easily. Winter must be dealt-with...as I'm doin now. I'll complain about that on the other thread.
But the coming of sculpture season gets me through.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Level 6 user

So you become a travelling door-to-door heavy-ass sculpture salesman. It must be hard work, evaldart.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imms View Post
So you become a travelling door-to-door heavy-ass sculpture salesman. It must be hard work, evaldart.
You got it...a one man army. And its war all the time.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Level 6 user

I imagine little old ladies scurrying behind their sofas when they see your bad-ass truck loaded with weird shit driving down their road.