Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Level 10 user

Putting one of my babies in a group show in Brooklyn tomorrow, (Artspace MCV/NYC), opening is on the 15th. Toys for tots benefit. So I made a toy...a eight 1/2 foot 550 lb BigWheel. I had to tear apart my engine hoist, my hydraulic platform lift and an old snow blower to get the material. But it was worth it. Pics comin.

Go to myspace.com/mcvnyc for more info. Under "Risus" event.

So lets just hope she fits through all the doorways. Find me there if you can make it, New Yorkers.

oh, I forgot to mention...open bar! (now someone will show up)

Last edited by obseq : 12-10-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Brooklyn anyone?

Your myspace link page is so big. It takes me sometime just to find Risus. Anyway, for the convenience of others, the Risus link is here. "RISUS"

But, there are no pictures there. I can't afford to fly all the way to Brooklyn. Show us pictures.

Last edited by Merlion : 12-11-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Merlion, I'm on cable so things always come up pretty fast.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Level 10 user

I was never into the Big wheel, but then again no one had offered it at 8 1/2 feet tall. Here is the Evaldart Christmas toy on my Santa list:

Giant electric football set with Matt's famous scrap-heap-composed players

---or----

Same deal, but one of those hockey games where the players slide and swivel on rods.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Level 10 user

No Evaldart, I am not talking about slow loading of the site. I am also on cable. I mean the myspace page has 101 links and 100 graphics. So looking for Risus is like a needle in a haystack.

Anyway, where is the picture of your big wheel?
Old 12-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Level 10 user

Sorry Glenn, I should have noted that 8 1/2 feet is the length (its five feet tall)...I know, you expected more from old Evaldart - but it was important to me for it to be scaled to my own proportions. You should have seen me on the test drive, laboring through the snow at about three feet per minute. Helps keep me in shape.

When its in tonight I'll get a shot installed. Put it on some time tomorrow after I get back.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Level 10 user

Yeah let's see the installed pic. Sorry i can't make it out to BK today but will be at the MOMA on the 20th (Dec.)
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Level 10 user

Crushed another digital camera (front pocket during the handling of ungainly and squirming heavy art). But I got her over there. "Real BigWheel" is the title. Old-school loft style space in renovated giant factory building. Very nice creaky frieght elevator is the only way up. Youthful proprietors, motivated emergers, rockabilly chic - always comfortable with this crew. I get to be the unwise old man for a night...spin a few art tales, enjoy the beer and the fire in their eyes. And you never know where it will go...my favorite part of all this.

back for the opening sat night, 8-12 (great hours) new camera blazing, pics thereafter if it survives.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Level 10 user

Back from Brooklyn. Got some Bigwheel pics but I was promised real ones by the pro who was there documenting the show. 5 glasses of art wine and good conversation. My old pea-coat was delighted to have been checked at the door (his first time). Bigwheel performed nicely, behaved, stayed off lookers toes. But lookers did not stay off him. I warned of tetanus - they didn't mind - properly engaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bwsm2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	7537  Click image for larger version

Name:	bigsm.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	7538  Click image for larger version

Name:	bw3.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7539  
Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Level 8 user

Cool piece Eval. How much did you say it weighs? It looks like the party scene at the gallery.
I also like the pics because I could not find my way around the Myspace for risus. Do you have tips for posting pics? No matter what I do, ISC says my photos are too big.??? Even if I shrank the digital photo to tiny.
How did you get that trike to BK from Mass?
Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Level 10 user

Well that brings back memories.

I think I went through 3 of those as a kid, I wore them out one after the next until I was too big to ride them anymore and had to graduate to a real kids bike. Awesome job Mr. Dart.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks for showing us Bigwheel. The central picture with the boy shows us it is big. Did you say it is 5' tall and 8-1/2' long? And does the wheel really rotate? It reminds me of Easy Rider.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Malloy View Post
Cool piece Eval. How much did you say it weighs? It looks like the party scene at the gallery.
I also like the pics because I could not find my way around the Myspace for risus. Do you have tips for posting pics? No matter what I do, ISC says my photos are too big.??? Even if I shrank the digital photo to tiny.
How did you get that trike to BK from Mass?

Malloy, Bigwheel tips the scales at well over 500. She moves rather easily in the f-350 by virtue of the rear axle being removable. If I;m alone I hoist her into the back with a chainfall, if theres an unsuspecting helper it can be done by hand. As far as uploading pics, I have to get them below 80 kb in photoshop. Some people know how to upload ginat clear pics here, but not me - I do the best I can.

Merlion, its fully functional, quite a joy to ride if you've got the gams for it. fitted to my inseam though. I keep a U-lock (my version) through the front wheel to keep someone from taking her through the wall.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Level 10 user

great fun, and a fitting use for favored old tools. We want to see you on the big wheel though-- to get the whole visual. Or for blackmail, one or the other. I swear officer, he's the one that was swinging from the rafters yodeling; he has no dignity-- I have proof.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Level 10 user

Poor Santa, so heavy and howzit going to fit down the chimney?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:35 AM

E-D,

Congratulations on the show.

I was looking forward to the pics-- thanks for posting them.
I love the color!

(Just tell RISUS to ditch Myspace in favor of a real website--
I can't stand all of these social networking sites!)
Old 12-17-2007, 11:22 AM
Level 10 user

EVAL- That kid (yours?) looks pissed about the wheel lock. In a few years he'll cut it off with your torch. Pull that 350 out of the rusty tin can pick up and drop it onto the new turbo trike. Make sure he post pics when he's test driving down your street at 110MPH.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Level 10 user

All that kid needs is a ride in this time machine.

http://www.kmsculpture.com/timemachine.html
Old 12-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Level 10 user

I guess its kinda cool Sub, but its for kids...I prefer something I can climb into myself. My 235 would flatten that thing real quick.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 AM
ISC Member

Hi Evaldart, "Bigwheel" is the perfect piece!
In the spring when the weather's nice and there are a few gallery openings in Chelsea, put a for sale sign on that thing and ride it around down there. You can be "art mobile" ( a take off on the 1st air cav, "air mobile") and I'll bet it would sell.
I've recently put work on wheels but more as "pull toys". I like that idea too. It makes it easier to move them.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
Hi Evaldart, "Bigwheel" is the perfect piece!
In the spring when the weather's nice and there are a few gallery openings in Chelsea, put a for sale sign on that thing and ride it around down there. You can be "art mobile" ( a take off on the 1st air cav, "air mobile") and I'll bet it would sell.
I've recently put work on wheels but more as "pull toys". I like that idea too. It makes it easier to move them.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Great idea Jeff, I'll ride it on over to Gagosian, lock her to the NO PARKING sign, and go drink a few glasses of their wine. Bound to be some lookers. I'll be sure to run-over Kieffers toe as he heads out... and BAM! I'll be the art-idiot of the moment...again.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
ISC Member

Hi Evaldart, That's kind of a take off on another idea of mine. That would be to rent a big flat bed semi, bolt my sculptures onto it and park right in front of one of those big galleries. Put a sign up, title and price all the work and have a c/c machine that'll work off of a cellular phone.
Run over Koons instead!!!!!!!! Keiffer actually does some good work.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Level 10 user

Matt, awesome piece of heavy metal! I envied the Big Wheels when I was a kid but they came out at the same time I had outgrown their weight limit.... I think I would fit in the seat of yours , however. You should put a weight limit tag on it just for fun. I too have been thinking of building a pedal trike for some time now. I want to build it out of the frames of two side-delivery hay rakes that have 34"x4" tires , and my arse would be about 4 feet from the ground instead of your 4" , Ha! The worst memory of a Big Wheel is the summer I wanted to sleep past 7 am every morning but a 4 year old 2 doors down would start his day early by racing down the sidewalk and do a sliding U turn in front of my window and then back and forth for hours it seemed. I hated Big Wheels for quite a while after that..... you ever see that one that the comedian Gallegher had built to his size? Must check that out if you haven't ...TI ... and hey, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

www.tiredironsculptures.com
Old 01-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Level 10 user

Cool. Years ago, I started plans to make an adult-sized Sit-n-Spin out of steel or aluminum. I bet it would make a good companion piece to this.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Level 10 user

The HUGE problem with the origional Bigwheel was that the plastic wheels were far too thin...It took no time to wear through them. The dumb-assed toy makers never did get it through their thick skulls that the turning of the wheels was less important that the sliding of them accross the sidewalk. As Wayne mentioned, the BEST part of the bigwheel experience was the fish-tailing, wheel-locked, sidewinding skidding that made that wonderful noise and left that great trail of toasted plastic behind. Did they ever once actually WATCH a kid ride the thing?!

Anatomist, Sit n spin indeed! Suffice it to say that one of the best things about being an artist is that we get to CONTINUE pursuing childhood fascinations and obsession all our lives. Good art looks as though it was created by either superheroic children or a superintelligent aliens. Everything else in between is obviousness. Only Kids and aliens make art for the right reasons, you got to try to be one or the other...or both.

Childhood-driven art is irresistible and even many artist I know who consider themselves "serious" let one slip out now and again. I could easily put together a great exhibit around this theme...but art entities might be hesitant to put their venue in the curatorial charge of a 235lb child.