Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > New Technologies
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2005, 05:08 PM
ISC Member

Exclamation Hannibal Lector is sculpting now?

Has anyone seen this show? This guy gives me the creeps. I can see using plastination for med school but to display as art? He says the bodies are "usally" donated well what about the rest of the time? Do you think this is crazy or not. and whats up with the hat Doc?
Ameenah

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/edinb...010245,00.html
Old 08-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Hannibal Lector is sculpting now?

I dunno, is this the same guy that was displaying the tattoo skin of cadaviers a few years ago? My Dr. friend across the street has limited prints of CAT scans of head with brain tumors meticulously transfered to canvas with red crosses painted on the tumor. I have to say it was thought provocking stuff as in sh..t hope I don't have one of those! The other is obviously a freak show piece. Dr.s need to practice medicine or do art is my opinion.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:11 PM
ISC Member

this is what he is doing.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,8542,669680,00.html

lostNYC what do you think?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Level 10 user

He and Stephen King need to do lunch sometime.

Gary
Old 08-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Level 10 user

I'm so glad God created skin. As a matter of fact clothes aren't bad either. I wonder if the donors knew they would be on display playing chess or if they were to be seen strictly by med school people. I would find it disturbing for a loved one to be put on public display this way and I think its disgusting anyway.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
ISC Member

Once was a time when art and science were one in the same.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Level 10 user

True. Da Vinci observed and sketched cadavers, himself.

Gary
Old 08-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Level 4 user

da vinci observed cadavers, he didn't display them. this seems to cross the line of good taste simply for shock value. of course i haven't seen the actual exhibit, only select photos. plus, as somone who would actually consider donating my body to science, the thought that it would then be used for art is a bit disurbing.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:03 PM
Level 10 user

True, he didn't and I didn't say he did. I'm also not excusing the use of them here, as I thought I'd made clear before.

Gary
Old 08-10-2005, 11:26 PM
ISC Member

I attended the first BODY WORLDS exhibit when it was in L.A. It was one of the most successful and well attended exhibits in recent history of the California Science Center. So much so that evening hours were established and in the final days, 24 hour access, to accomodate demand. Despite the creepy factor I would incourage any figurative artist, medical professional or anyone else that owns and operates a human body to experience this unique display. To call this an 'art' display is a bit of a misnomer and probably a by product of the media coverage. There is a certain amount of showmanship involved but ultimately it is blend of art/science/philosophy and LIFE. Now isn't that what art is all about?
BODY WORLDS is a unique and inventive way to unravel the complexities of the human body and its humanity.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 PM
ISC Member

P.S.

Artists like DaVinci, Michelangelo, Carravagio and the like who may or may not have done anatomical studies on human cadavers would have done so in direct violation of law set by the Catholic Church. Violation of such law could have led to excommunication, death or both. The quest for knowledge made these artists exceptional for their time because they were willing to risk the consequences of going beyond the accepted norm.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Level 2 user

There was a series of tv shows hosted by the guy on UK tv a few months back where he carried
[pre prepared from preserved cadavers] dissections , covering themes of musculature, circulation etc.
It was a showy but interesting series.
The mechanics of animal biology do not seem to be covered to any great degree on tv shows.
Though a dissection of a fresh body would have revealed more of the volume
and fluid nature of our working parts than the hard shriveled specimens that
his process produces.
Judging by the lack of masks etc I would assume the specimens are pretty inert.

The posed cadavers do look rather stiff and contrived,but I would guess most viewers
do not get much beyond the shock value of the stripped away covering.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:43 AM
ISC Member

I just realized that he is mimicking Salvador Dali.
He has a display that mimics this painting. The corpse has drawers also
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Girafe...u_i911875_.htm
and there are others but I can't the pics to show you.
-Ameenah
Old 08-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB
P.S.

Artists like DaVinci, Michelangelo, Carravagio and the like who may or may not have done anatomical studies on human cadavers would have done so in direct violation of law set by the Catholic Church. Violation of such law could have led to excommunication, death or both. The quest for knowledge made these artists exceptional for their time because they were willing to risk the consequences of going beyond the accepted norm.

Well, there is ample evidence for Da Vinci's drawing of cadavers, such as his anatomical drawings. Medical knowledge wasn't something he would have guessed at and Leonardo more often drew from life than from imagination. Then there was the Italian made biographical movie, released about 1973, which showed Da Vinci going through the morgue and drawing a partially disected corpse and sketching a man who had just been hung. Of course, the Italian producer may have taken some liberties, but it was, at the time hailed as a very acurate depiction of Da Vinci's life, in spite of the implication that Da Vinci may have been gay, which caused a great deal of controversy at the time. Leonardo was the sort who would have rubbed the Catholic church the wrong way and the film depicted him that way.

See the third paragraph of this article on Da Vinci's anatomical drawings: http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/1070/leonardo.html

Gary
Old 08-12-2005, 07:10 PM
ISC Member

Red face Re: Hannibal Lector is sculpting now?

There is little doubt that DaVinci actually did perform studies if 'live' cadavers, (is that an oxymoron?), however many of those drawings, notes and studies were kept secret. L.D. was well known for being secretive about much of his work for fear not only of theft of his ideas but also retribution by the church. Many of his notes and drawings are to never have been found. I wonder if there is a written confession of having performed human dissection?

Isn't it nice to know we now live in a time where we don't have worry about censorship by the authorities and other people that might capitalize on your creative efforts for their own gain?

...uuh, never mind.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Level 10 user

Taxidermy pieces arranged with staging props ain't exactly sculpture, nor in my opinion, art.-----and , perhaps, folks that think it is art are really in need of serious psychological counciling. Whatever happened to "good taste"?

that being said-------why bury someone you love when you can have them enfused with resin and set 'em up in the living room.

remembering an old song......"so we tanned his hyde when he died Clyde, and that's it hanging on the shed." from a sixties song that started "tie me kangaroo down sport..."

It's all just a tad macabe for my taste.

Last edited by sculptor : 08-12-2005 at 09:58 PM.