Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Sculpture News and Events
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Level 3 user

New Houdon L'Ecorche Sculptures

Hello All,

It has been awhile since my last post. I have been playing around with 3-d printing. This my first project. Creating two accurate reductions of a life-size Houdon L'Ecorche.

NEW HOUDON L'ECORCHE COPIES- For decades small 27" tall plaster copies of the L'Ecorche have been circulating world wide and after numerous generations of molds and castings, this sculpture has completely lost its charm. So Mr. Keropian has partnered with Sculptor/Animator Michael Defeo to bring us two new versions scanned directly from this life-size Houdon L'Ecorche. The new technology of 3-d printing has allowed them to create not only a very accurate copy of the life-size sculpture but the ability to add more detail in areas like the hands and feet and create a new left arm with information found from plaster copies in France.

Pictures on: http://www.keropiansculpture.com/houdon_ecorche.html

Resin copies are available of the Houdon L'Ecorche at life size, 12" h and 28" h ( figure height ). These copies are as accurate as possible to the original Jean- Antoine Houdon's L'Ecorche Sculpture. Please inquire about pricing.

The new "accurate" copy of the 12" H Houdon L'Ecorche is now available (see images below). This is a great size to bring to a classroom setting and using it as a reference with the life model. The 28" Version will be available soon.

Best regards,

Mike K.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Level 10 user

Re: New Houdon L'Ecorche Sculptures

An interesting project, Keropian. Would you be interested in selling the scans themselves? I've started a site (actually a cluster of sites) to sell 3D scans over the net - the economics of this can work better for consumers and producers than buying and selling physical castings, with all the associated problems of production, packing, shipping, customs, etc.

Andrew Werby
3dscanhub.com
Old 06-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Level 1 user

The Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts in Philly has a life sized one with Houdon's studio stamp on the base. When I studyied in Russia we had a bunch of them in great condition. If this is as good as it looks, you can't go wrong. I've got an older plaster reduction, the same as the ones floating around on the web, etc. Have had it for years and it's washed out as hell.

Great to see this effort being made. Mike's anatomy App looks great, too.

It's essentially the scan that is being requested above.

A little wary of how it's being advertised as having been "improved" by Mr. Eaton. Medical anatomy advancements have definitely been made but artistic anatomy is a very specific lexicon based primarily on form conceptions developed in 5th century Greece. They are not "naturalism" per say and I think it does the sculpture by a master unsurpased by anyone living today a disservice (and surely unintended...and this is just my opinion...which could be nothing but hot air to claim to be "improving" his work. The grammar of classical figurative sculpture is not decipherable via an MRI or CT scan. It is learned by participating in the tradition which barely reached these shores directly. Understanding classical sculpture needs to be done contextually in the art historical, cultural, and architectural environment in which it developed. You can't get it vicariously as did teachers like Beverly Hale and others instrumental in the initial revival of figurative teachings in the US...but again, this is just my personal bias. Art in a democracy means we all get to put our two bits in I know Mike and support his effort all of the way. He is a passionate and amazingly talented artist. Maybe I'm just stuck in the mud and foolish to argue with success!!!! Good luck to all involved and I look forward to seeing whatever follow up efforts you guys come up with!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Level 1 user

The ecorche itself here looks fantastic..as do all of the other ones on your site. Fantastic that you are providing this to the community!!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
Level 3 user

Hi Joe and Michael,
Michael Defeo here. I scanned the Houdon for Micheal and created my anatomy app with the data.
you can find it here
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lecor...515026024?mt=8

But I wanted to respond to Joe.
Joe, I understand your concern about the wording "correction" and that is why in the app I have the original and the Scott Eaton version. The Houdon is artistically beautiful and the reason I chose it for my app. But it is widely known (even by Philipe Comar, the anatomy professor at Ecole Des Beaux Arts in Paris,who I met with in Paris, where the original casting of the plaster and the only bronze by Houdon live) that the Houdon Ecorche is incorrect in many places. Scott is an extremely knowledgeable anatomy expert and I feel he has done a fantastic job to update the Houdon for more accurate modern anatomy.
All that being said , I agree that the original is a master piece and that's why it is the foundation for my app.

Joe, I love your passion!!

And Michael's version is the most accurate model of the Houdon you can buy other than his 6 foot tall casting right off an original cast. I plan to buy one of Micheal's 30" copies.

have fun sculpting all!
MD

Last edited by mtd : 08-29-2012 at 05:26 PM.