Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2004, 07:16 PM
Level 10 user

SC Triennial show

I just found out that I got accepted to the South Carolina Triennial show at the state museum in Columbia Couth Carolina. I have never been accepted into a biennial or triennial type of show. A representative is going to come to my studio to see what I have and discuss what piece they want or if they want me to make a completely new one for the show. Have any of you been involved in a show like this? Is there a protocol for the visit? If you have been in a show like this did you find it rewarding? I'm excited to be selected, there were only 24 artists selected out of 248 artists who submitted work. Please let me know of your own experiences of this type.
thanks
matt
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Sculptor

Re: SC Triennial show; New Orleans parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowasculptor
I just found out that I got accepted to the South Carolina Triennial show at the state museum in Columbia Couth Carolina. I have never been accepted into a biennial or triennial type of show. A representative is going to come to my studio to see what I have and discuss what piece they want or if they want me to make a completely new one for the show. Have any of you been involved in a show like this? Is there a protocol for the visit? If you have been in a show like this did you find it rewarding? ......
matt
I havenít Matt, but congratulations, and let me say a bit about this sort of thing in New Orleans. The New Orleans Museum of Art has had juried biennials or triennials for many years, but I can recall only one instance in which I believe jurors visited selected artists. I believe this group of jurors wanted to make the process more active/reactive, in what seems a modern trend.

The N. O. Contemporary Arts Center, which is about 20 - 25 years old, has had several shows like this, I believe, where one or more jurors visits each selected artist. Usually, thatís to choose an existing work, I believe, and I suspect a purpose is to evaluate the artistís available oeuvre, so that the institution or juror(s) can provide background promotion if they think it is warranted. (Clearly, that sort of thing would imply more pressure on the artist, but also more opportunity.)

Obviously, a great difference in labor and timing exists between painting, which also often is in these shows, and sculpture. I really wouldnít think a sculptor would be expected to execute a specific work unless the lead time is about a year or so, and typically, it isnít. But, who knows?

Last edited by fritchie : 08-03-2004 at 10:49 PM.