Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2004, 12:41 AM

Iceland

I've been playing catch up ever since I got back, so haven't had time for this until now. I really went to see my son and his family, but I got in some art stuff too. Eric is a student at the University of Iceland and the day after I got there he had to be in school all day, so I went in to Reykjavik wiht him bright and early, went to the library to look up the book Afangar about Richard Serra's installation on Videy Island (a short hop off the coast), then walked downtown and spent the day at art museums. I never did go to Videy because the ferry isn't running at this time of year, but I'll get there some time. At the Hafnarhus, the museum by the harbor there was a show of Olafur Eliasson's installations. The ICA in Bosts had a much bigger show of his work maybe two years ago, but the space was smaller, but he's always good. In one very large, bright room he had a stone floor installed that used different colors in a geometric pattern suggesting 3D boxes. There was nothing else in the room at all - a very big space - but the ceiling high above was entirely mirrored. If you look across at a person (and much of the time there really is only maybe one other person there), you see him, the floor pattern, then an opposite view of same above. Eerie effect. Then when you're by yourself, you look up and high above you, you are looking down at yourself.
There were two phot installations too, and another room, this time a dark room except for a thin band of colored light. IT was about five feet off the floor and went the entire circumference of the room unbroken, like a horizon line. Like the horizon where the light at dawn glows without a visible source, this line of light was recessed into the wall so that ony the glow was visible. And the light changed gradually, morphing through the spectrum, either on a timer, or possibly in response to the viewer's motion.
I also went to the Kjarval museum where there were many paintings by the man the museum is named after, but also a gallery and open area with a group show of intallations. One person had made casts with a translucent resin that played in different ways with sections of the body as a negative space. For instance, one was a block on the floor about 30 inches square with two holes in it. The light shining on it revealed that inside was the negative cast of two feet. Another by the same person was upright and about six feet high and wide, 1 foot deep. A woman's body was pressed into it in a way that broke through the middle, making an intriguing negative space.
As I walked around that day and every now and then where we were I took pictures of some of the outdoor sculptures that seem to me to be everywhere there. And I learned about an Italian artist who decided he wanted to do a big sculpture that suggested his view that Iceland it the light of the world. So, he constructed a steel lighthouse.
If you don't mind wading through some family photos, you can see pictures of some of the sculptures and also of some interesting geologic phenomena on this site my husband set up: ....and I forget exactly what it is, so I have to go look. Sorry.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:43 AM

Re: Iceland

Okay. It's www.mysite.verizon.net/egils.zarins/index.htm
Old 04-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Sculptor

JAZ - I just checked a couple of times and got "not found" messages. Anyone else?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:12 PM

I was surprised at the error message you got. I tried and got the same. Then tried again two minutes later and got in. My husband is wondering if there is a limit on how many people can view at once.
I could post some images here instead, but as we all know there is the matter of clogging the system.
If others have this same problem, I will post a select two or three, or one or two.
I'm sorry about that. It seems like a good idea at the time.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:26 PM

Since the website maybe doesn't work, here are three Iceland images I took. First: "Jotnar" by Grimur Marino, 2000, stainless steel. It's about ten or twelve feet tall and up on a little rise. Next: the Iceland Lighthouse by Claudio Parmiggiano, 2000, a sculptor from Italy. This one is interesting more becasue of its location and the emotions of the sculptor than as a creative idea. He felt Iceland is the light of the world or something to that effect. Third: a closeup of some lavarock not too far from a place where the tectonic plates meet - the North American and the Erupean/Eurasian. I photographed some figurative sculptures too that are quite nice, but maybe more is too many to post.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:29 PM

I guess I should actually post the images, shouldn't I.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jotnar.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	543  Click image for larger version

Name:	Parmagiano.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	544  Click image for larger version

Name:	lavarock.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	545  
Old 04-04-2004, 04:50 AM
scupture.net

Jaz, thank you for going ahead and posting the images as the link didn't work when I tried it either. I was surprised the first image was stainless, just because it looks so white. Although they are well hidden you can just barely make out two seams in the front face of the sculpture.

And the third image is lava rock? It looks so red I was wondering about that also. A high iron content perhaps? Weird looking for sure.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:02 PM

Thanks JAZ.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBert
Jaz, thank you for going ahead and posting the images as the link didn't work when I tried it either. I was surprised the first image was stainless, just because it looks so white. Although they are well hidden you can just barely make out two seams in the front face of the sculpture.

And the third image is lava rock? It looks so red I was wondering about that also. A high iron content perhaps? Weird looking for sure.
Yes, the seam was subtle, but there. I think the brightness is partly my not-so-special photography with a borrowed digital camera, and partly the intense light. Though it was overcast some days (which is lucky in a way because it's often rainy at that time of hear), there were a couple of days when I wishe dI had brought my sunglasses. The sun can be really intense, maybe because the air is so very clean? And with no trees, there's no shade. Anyway, it was stainless with a bright finish.

While lava rock is most often blackish, it also comes in a full array of colors. And some is very light, other chunks heavy. I sent the link (sorryit didn't work for people) partly becasue of the sculptures, but also there was an image of lava ropes, a lava tube filled with sand, these sand "bubbles" one of which was a crosssection so the inner construction was visible, and so on. Anyway, here are two more geologic ones because the color is so surprising.
Also, two views of The Wave of the Ages by Alda Aldannna 1894-1905. I photographed this one from all four directions beacuse I love th sweep of the negative space and the scale change between the big allegorical figure and the little humans swirling in her water.
Rubert, these could be deleted after a couple of days to make room for other people's images, if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lavarock2.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	550  Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric's-landscape.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	551  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wave1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	552  Click image for larger version

Name:	Wave-2-.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	553  
Old 04-04-2004, 08:44 PM

You're quite welcome. (I'm actually going to proofread this posting so it won't have all of the typos that are in the other one. Too quick on the "send" button sometimes.)
I thought of you when I posted the lava ones because of the color. I've never been good with color, unlike you! And other sculptors don't often take advantage of the option. It's one of the things that sets your work apart. Also, I have this impression that - though it's always dangerous to generalize - that American sculpture often tends to be cruder, especially in terms of the finish, and European and other sculpture tends to be more clean and finely finished looking. Man, I'm sticking my neck out there, aren't I?
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 PM
Sculptor

Re: Iceland; images

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuBert

Two points - Thanks for adding the images, JAZ; it' sort of like a personal tour. And Russ, many years ago I climbed a smallish volcanic cinder cone in Arizona, named Sunset Crater. As I recall, it is the usual dark gray-black most of the way, but a brick red near the top. Iím not sure if this is extra iron; it may have more to do with detailed composition. Some forms of sulfur also are red.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:25 PM

Re: Iceland; images

Okay. My husband just pointed out that I used www. in the address, which is incorrect. http://mysite.verizon.net/egils.zarins/index.htm
I'm not sure whether it's really of value or not, but I'll let you decide.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:03 PM
ISC Member

The site works great now. What a nice thing to make available to us all. The volcanic elements are quite similar to what we have around here, on Mt. St. Helens and some other areas in eastern Oregon, where there are fields of geodes, acres of obsidian, "lava tubes", and other amazing and colorful features. Looking at these and at the recent images from Mars reminds me of what somebody said about the Animal Kingdom: (something like).. It's not the Gryphon and the Centaur - which don't exist- that are outlandish; it's the Platypus and the Octapus - which do. The sculptures are wonderful. And what is that circle of rocks in one photo, in which your son and his children are taking refuge from the wind? Is that as ancient as it looks?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb
The site works great now. What a nice thing to make available to us all. The volcanic elements are quite similar to what we have around here, on Mt. St. Helens and some other areas in eastern Oregon, where there are fields of geodes, acres of obsidian, "lava tubes", and other amazing and colorful features. Looking at these and at the recent images from Mars reminds me of what somebody said about the Animal Kingdom: (something like).. It's not the Gryphon and the Centaur - which don't exist- that are outlandish; it's the Platypus and the Octapus - which do. The sculptures are wonderful. And what is that circle of rocks in one photo, in which your son and his children are taking refuge from the wind? Is that as ancient as it looks?
I wish I knew what the circle is. But it certainly seemed ancient. In thinking what is it that I (and lots of others) find appealing about Iceland, it's that the top layer (our trees, bushes, forest detritus, etc.) is missing from the surface, so all of the geology (and sculptures!) is in view all the time, and since a layer of the Earth's crust is missing under Iceland, the geothermal forces are right there, always evident. And people haven't spoiled it much yet, though they're making some inroads. The air and water are clean and they bury their electric wires whenever possible. Not many signs either. No guardrails around the huge waterfalls, and so on.
There are lots of other sculptures that I don't have pictures of. The cool one most people know is of a stylized and simplified viking ship. I've been on the whole ring road and four trips later I'm still amazed by how much value they put on sculpture. And many of the artists are fully or partially supported by the government, I've been told. Wouldn't that be nice?
Yes, I thought of posting the pictures partly because of the mars images that are so cool.
A number of years ago my husband and I flew to Seattle and drove around the Olympic Penninsula, then on up to Vancouver. I had never seen a volcano until Mt. St. Helens. We went to the Ho Rainforest, drove past miles and miles of clearcuts, and then saw the fallen trees for the fifteen miles of access road to Mt.St.Helens, the ash, the barrenness. It is the one place I've been where erosion is a good thing because where the pumice layer has eroded away, plants can grow. I have downstairs in my kitchen a heavy, ovate rock I brought from the Ho Rainforest and a piece of pumice, so light. And when I put one in each hand I think about the wonder of earth forces.
You live in a remarkable area.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Sculptor

JAZ - I finally had time to look at your photo site, and it is wonderful. Many thanks for all this material.