Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2004, 09:47 AM

Recent Trip- Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park

I recently installed my sculpture Seed at the Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park as part of their new Biennial. I had never been there before and was quite impressed with the ambition of the place. There are some very fine sculptures there. Narrow, winding roads lead around the park. If you walked from sculpture to sculpture it may very well take you the better part of a day. The people there were great as well. If you visit, say hi to Harry Wilks, the park's founder and a very colorful character.

The park's website is: http://www.pyramidhill.org/ (lots of bugs though)

Here are some highlights: From left to right, sculptures are by Sam Spiczka, Michael Dunbar, Bill Barrett, Harry Gordon, and John Hock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seed-Pyramid8.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	524  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyramid Hill- Dunbar2.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	525  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyramid Hill- Barrett2.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	526  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyramid Hill- Gordon.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	527  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyramid Hill- Hock.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	528  

Last edited by sculptorsam : 03-29-2004 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Sculptor

Re: Recent Trip- Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park

Thanks for the tour, Sam. For those who donít know (I didnít), this is in Hamilton, Ohio.

Last edited by fritchie : 03-30-2004 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-29-2004, 08:45 PM
ISC Member

Great selection of strong works. Congrats on putting your piece there, Sam. How does this "Biennial" work? Is it open competition? Is your piece there for good now? I had no idea Ohio was so progressive as to have this excellent venue.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:46 PM

I belive 10 works were chosen for the show. Each received a $1000 stipend and will remain on view until November. It was an open competition, the call was posted in the Opportunities section of the ISC website. It's only temporary, but perhaps a kindly sculpture-angel will decend and purchase the works for the park. You never know...
Old 03-29-2004, 10:58 PM
scupture.net

Of course, Pyramid Hill is quite close to Cincinnati, and so is an easy day trip. When ISC has the Cincinnati International Sculpture Conference in 2005 it will be a nice chance for many sculptors to see your work in person. So you might want to take that into consideration when thinking about possibly leaving a piece there for a more extended loan or purchase.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:44 PM

That's a good point, Russ. I know I'm open to an extended loan, and the piece is beautifully sited where it is. It all rests on their interest level I guess.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:37 PM

Congratulations, Sam. It looks great. I do like those juncture points at the bottom in dialogue with the more organic upright part. Also, it's good to see the other artist's works. I watched Harry Gordon installing at PierWalk this summer. He's a handy guy to have around. Bill Barret's piece there got damaged somehow.
You had mentioned a while ago that you will be doing something at the DeCordova. What's that about? Or is it a secret?
Old 04-01-2004, 12:20 AM

Thanks JAZ. Harry Gordon is a great guy. I got to meet him a couple times out at the Convergence Fesitval in RI. He knows his stuff. I do have a piece going to DeCordova in August, but it's not a secret. They have accepted my sculpture Organization there for a couple years or so. Here's a link to where it currently is along with some candid installations shots: https://engineering.purdue.edu/UVAC/...s/Organization

Sam
Old 04-02-2004, 02:16 AM

Sam, do you have an alternate view of your work we can see?
Old 04-02-2004, 05:41 PM

Here you go, Robert. I think the best view of the work is from the road, but with the sun where it was, those shots turned out quite dark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seed-Pyramid7.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	536  Click image for larger version

Name:	Seed-Pyramid9.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	537  
Old 04-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Sculptor

Re: Recent Trip- Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park; Nice work!

Sam - Very nice sculptures, and good presentations also; both Pyramid Hill and the Purdue piece.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM

I love it. The interviewer obvioulsy isn't headed for a career in journalism, but the photos are good to see. The way the sculpture moves in space is intriguing and I like the way the forms are organized and not.
Last year I called someone there for advice. I'm on the Visual Arts Committee at the Firehouse Center for the Arts in Newburyport and they wanted some sculpture out front. I called him to see what other venues did about stipends and his response caught me by surprise. He suggested that we could find plenty of artists willing to exhibit there with no stipend. I'm sure that the DeCordova must offer stipends to the people who show there. They have such good sculptors and a great place to show them. Inside too. They had a great show of Pat Keck's eerie work - I think fifty of her sculptures. And in the stairwell some artist, who had removed all of the bark from an entire tree, adhered the complete bark on the wall. It was enormous.
You are doing very well to be chosen by them. Let me know if I can come watch or help with the installation. It's about fifty minutes form where I live. Do you have a place to stay? If not you could come here to save a few $$$.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:19 AM

I'll definitely let you know when we'll be in the area Joyce. I may just have to take you up on your offer. I appreciate it.

When I applied to DeCordova, they asked for an estimate on shipping costs. I don't know how much others request, but I put down $1000 which is about mid-range for a larger venue. I am very excited about making it out there. And I have only seen a couple pictures of Pat Keck's work but absolutely love them. Hopefully they'll still have a couple. And yes, you probably could get a local artist to show for nothing. I have offered multiple times to exhibit my work for free locally but no one's ever interested. So instead, I drive them across country or save them for myself at the shop.

That sculpture (Organization) really needs to be seen in person. It is very difficult to photograph. And no, I don't think she'll be going into journalism. Especially since I don't recall saying any of that stuff. I remember *sort-of expressing similar thoughts, but found it very amusing the way she ended up phrasing it.

Sam
Old 04-03-2004, 12:22 AM

Re: Recent Trip- Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park; Nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritchie
Sam - Very nice sculptures, and good presentations also; both Pyramid Hill and the Purdue piece.
Thanks Fritchie. The Purdue show I didn't have much control over since concrete pads had to be poured in advance of my arrival. But with the Pyramid show, I got to choose when I got there. And getting there on the first day of the installation window pretty much gave me the run of the park. The early bird gets the worm, as it were.

Sam
Old 04-03-2004, 12:59 AM

I'm relieved that they will be paying you. How do the places that don't offer anything to sculptors think that we survive? It costs so much to build and transport them, so if there is no reimbursement then we are basically donating a substantial amount to their venue? I can't think of a single other kind of service provider who doesn't get paid anything at all, and we do provide a service as evidenced by the fact that the venues want the sculptures.
Sorry. I guess I'm getting tired. Time for bed. Anyway, it's really exciting that you're in there. It's a great place.
JAZ