Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Level 10 user

the power of art

well I have started watching The Power of Art on PBS at 9:00 on monday night. good show and opinionated sometimes.

but anyways I was reading the thread about modern masters, and I basically haven't herd of any of them. but thats coming from someone who has almost no special exposure to modern artists. so I got to thinking who from this age will end up on The Power of Art. I cant think of any modern artists that are big household names.

so am I missing something here? and who from today will reach the ultimate goal for all artists--getting a bio on pbs.

and who will end up household names in 400 years? who will we be naming ninja turtles after?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
ISC Member

Re: the power of art

Who says the ultimate goal is getting a bio on PBS?

Maybe my goal is to be on the Cartoon Network, or maybe the Home Shopping Channel.

If you don't know the references you can't get the jokes, can you?

Gotta get educated just to have some fun. <grin>
Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Sculptor

Welcome to my world, CJ. I gave up cable probably 20 years ago, and all TV about 5 years ago. I even dropped listening to local PBS radio about 3 - 4 years ago when the national organisation made our local affiliate cut back on classical music from roughly 18 hours per day (about 4 - 5 during the daylight hours) to maybe 2 - 3 during the day and I don't know what after dark. Since I can't reliably get Classical, I tune to a local Country source in the car and (quietly) in my current Displaced Person apartment here in the New Orleans area.

I'm convinced the Web is the way to go. Choose your own sources more or less whenever you want.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:12 AM
Level 10 user

Bob Ross. Hate him if you must but he had his own show. I can think of dozens of folks way better than him but as great as they are .........they did'nt have a program all to themselves. Given a half an hour, Bob could kick any ones ass. That guy could get the ladies off. Plus he had some special friends. Bob Ross ............Hate him ..........if you must.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Sculptor

In my last and sporadic PBS days, maybe 5 - 8 years ago, there were 2 - 4 other painters doing about the same thing as Bob Ross, and after he had passed on, but with different foci (focusses?). Waterfront scenes, birds and animals, ... All showing how quickly they could paint, and offering tips on techniques.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM
ISC Member

Hi, Bob Ross was my sleep aid back when I worked the night shift and then worked in my studio, by about 2-3 pm I was tired, used to shower, then lie in bed and put him on. he put me to sleep instantly!
There was that older woman, Helen Van Wyke, she really knew how to paint and that WC guy, last name Lynch (I think) knew watercolor. The rest were charlatans!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Level 10 user

Bob Ross never had an action figure though...only TRULY great people amass action figure, tv series, breakfast cerial, major motion picture, AND comic book; got to have accomplished them all. Mr.t, Micheal Jordan, Bruce Jenner,..its a very short list that even presidents cannot seem to join.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Level 10 user

Just wait .......I'm sure there'll be a Bob Ross resurgance. All they have to do is retool the G.I. Joe molds a bit. His picture would look great on a box of Corn Flakes ........and ..........Rowdy Roddy Piper would look great with a fro and gold chain. A movie about Bob has to be made........How can that not happen ?