Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Level 3 user

Question Bronze finish

Hello, I have a good friend who is nearing completion of a large scale bronze sculpture (LG2). She is a perfectionist. The work has been ground with abrasives and is going to be shot blasted so it will have quite a tooth.
She would like to have an even metallic patina ( probably something sulpherous ) but here is the issue, she would like a finish / sealant that will freeze the patina at the as finished state for as long as possible in a park environment. We have been through the usual beeswax, epoxy, eurathane discussion and they all fall short of expectations. Any suggestions?
Old 05-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Level 6 user

Re: Bronze finish

Pick up a copy of Patrick Kipper's "The Care of Bronze Sculpture: Recommended Maintenance Programs for the Collector" for a realistic description of what you're dealing with. There are a lot of variables to consider, such as what part of the country the site is, the bronze alloy used, the colors of the bronze, the maintenance program of the park, the presence or absence of shade, and so on, just get the book.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
ISC Member

I'm just going to through this out there...

There is a product called Everbrite that is supposed to be a protective coating that can be used on brass and copper. Maybe it will work for Bronze too.

And I seem to remember this product originated in Australia...just under another name which I can't recall.

Good luck.

"Important artists are innovators whose work changes the practices of their successors; important works of art are those that embody these innovations."
Galenson, David W. Old Masters and young geniuses, Princeton University Press, 2006

Last edited by oddist : 05-15-2005 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typooooos
Old 05-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Level 3 user

thank you ex nihil im chasing that book. it sounds like The text for this issue.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Level 3 user

cheers oddy, interesting product with funky website. Ive passed on this gem to my friend.