Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 AM

A new Stone Sculpture Society

Would anyone be interested in helping to create a new international Stone Sculpture Society? I have often wished to be a part of a larger sculpture community, but have found that most sculpture societies are rather exclusive and often set sometimes daunting joining requirements. I am personally prepared to put time into this, but will need to set up a committee (web-based is fine) in order to determine the format of such a society.
Personal info:I am a former teacher (of English Literature, with 20 years experience) and currently work in a training context. I sculpt, mainly in marble now, and have a wide interest in sculpture, from medieval Italian to modernism and beyond.
Let me know what you think. (http://www.stonesculpture.gothere.uk.com)

Last edited by Cantab : 12-13-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:27 AM
Level 10 user

Re: A new Stone Sculpture Society

Cantab,

Greetings, I am interested. Tell me more.

Graham
Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Hi Graham

Given your initial interest, I'll get together a set of proposals over the next week (need to do some research on current societies), and then post the details. Anyone else reading this string, please register your interest.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Level 4 user

hey. i'm not sure what you have in mind but anything that has to do with stone, i would be interested
Old 12-18-2005, 05:58 AM
ISC Member

Sounds intriguing.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Level 10 user

I would be very interested. What kind of geographic representation do we have so far in those interested? I am in the southeastern USA...

Last edited by Blacksun : 12-18-2005 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Poor keyboarding...
Old 01-07-2006, 12:32 AM
ISC Member

I'm quiet inetersted. Would love to hear more.

Cheers,

Rafal
Old 01-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Level 10 user

I myself do not go into stone, unless one day I go into it and get hooked. I notice a few of you interested are from Canada. Perhaps you know already, there is a Sculptors Society of Canada with a long history and more than a hundred members. It can be found here. Of course it is for stone sculptors and other sculptors.

Through a search, I can only manage to find one stone sculpture or sculptors society in New York, and another one in New Zealand. Perhaps you can learn from them with regard to society constitution and activities.

Good luck.

Last edited by Merlion : 01-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Level 2 user

id like it i live in the stonebelt bloomington in and is what i do to live.....
Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 AM

As previously promised - the elements of national and international sculpture societies:

1) Membership: emphasis on professionals, with ‘associate’ or ‘Friend’ memberships for non-professionals. Fee to pay, often high and annual.
2) Benefits: status; newsletters, magazine; local courses; symposia; actual and online exhibitions; scholarships, prizes and competitions; book and information lists; good website and weblinks.

Disadvantages of these societies: non-professional sculptors are in effect ‘second-class citizens’; annual fee high; no substantial community atmosphere.
Advantages: good competitions and prizes; magazine; good outlet for professionals; confers status for professionals.

It would be difficult to replicate the format of these societies on an international basis were we to try to set up a stone sculpture society. However, we could try to set up a Stone Sculpture Community for purposes of interaction, support and publicity. Or is that what we get, in the main, with the ISC forum? We could also establish symposia, competitions and online exhibitions, a newsletter etc. With a wider, more open membership, the community/society may attract a fuller representation of the bedrock of sculptors who are out there than the main, somewhat 'elitist' societies.

Initial proposal - Please remember that the actual character of the society would be worked out by the society committee in relation to actual members, so the following is just a proposal.

Name: The Open Society of Stone Sculptors
Aims: to offer all sculptors in stone a society that in fundamentally egalitarian in nature and to which all applicants, regardless of level of skills or development, can join and participate in activities. The society would be open to all stone workers, carvers and sculptors. No initial joining fee.
Organisation: a central committee, made up of members, perhaps from a range of countries. This committee would establish policy and manage elements of the society's activities (eg. website; competitions; newsletter etc). We would also benefit from the election of a President and the establishing of a group of Patrons.

Character and activities:
1) The society website, offering a venue for self-advertising, online competitions, etc.
2) A newsletter.
3) Ongoing competitions, with online exhibitions of 'winners'. No CVs or qualifications would be requested for such competitions and those selected would be on artistic merit alone. Let's see what really is out there!
4) All members to have website recognition and the opportunity to advertise their work and skills.
5) Symposia: initially it will be difficult to envisage our own symposium. However, we could propose to opt into symposia that we like from year-to-year in order that some of us can meet up, and perhaps get reduced block booking reductions. There are studios in America and Europe that would look kindly on such proposals.
6) Courses: it would be possible to organise society courses.
7) Stone sculpture forums: can be through the ISC Forums, Google groups or, eventually, independent forums of our own.
8) An online library of relevant material (perhaps a more extensive (and better organised!) version of some of the material available on my website: http://www.stonesculpture.gothere.uk.com).
9) Some limited, relevant advertising to help fund the society and the possibility of establishing online discounts for members.

Views please.

Cantab

Last edited by Cantab : 01-21-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:39 PM
ISC Member

I like it. Especially the non-elitist atmosphere, competitions, venues of exposure and concentrated resource source. I think it would be great to along with the competitions and work postings get constructive feedback.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:43 AM
ISC Member

A very well organized proposal! Here are my initial reactions:

The Open Society of Stone Sculptors sounds like an amalgamation of some groups/societies/etc which already exist. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing (indication of demand) or a bad thing (saturated "market"), but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

What you have described as "aims" could be fine-tuned into a "mission statement" or something similar. I have found that it is crucial for a society to have a very specific missision statement, and ensure that members and potential members have regular access to it. This will help newer members (especially those who are doing the organizational work) to retain focus.

Your method of organization sounds good (although I feel the establishing of patrons would probably be low on the priority list at first), and could easily done through email, forums, and other internet technologies.

I like the idea of open competitions, and imagine that other artists who don't have a strong CV will feel the same way.

I agree that symposia would be difficult to start initially, and wonder whether the society could piggy-back on other symposia (e.g. ISC's) or offer discounts (or travel packages) for existing ones for the first few years.

How do you propose to organize the courses? Would they be online (via videos?) or in person?

A forum for stone discussion could probably come later. Sculpture.net and Stone Conversations are well-established discussion resources, and the society would probably be drawing from much of the same pool of persons.

Depending on how you want to start this, and what the inital offering would be, advertising may be difficult to sell (small audience at the beginning) and not enough to sustain the activities (depending on what you want to do with the money). I wonder whether there are grants in various countries which may be had for such international pursuits.

If you need someone to put together a website, let me know. I had created a demo site for an artist society when they had discussions about changes to the website, so I have one floating around somewhere in my computer.
Old 01-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Level 10 user

Wink Re: A new Stone Sculpture Society

I like the non-elitist approach. I think the mission statement is also a good idea. Such as " to nurture and create an educational/trade association for the advancement of Stone Carving and Carvers Worldwide". Iwould like to see agroup that could go after patrons and grant money to develop this art form and support those working in it. The few times I established classes they might have been hard to get started but once I had the students they kept coming back! Material resources, competitions, ,marketing etc. I think your on the right track!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the critique, Julianna.

Yes, many societies already in existence do offer some of the options, which may militate against this proposal going forward. I did, myself, like the idea of a dedicated stone sculpture society or group, and that was a primary consideration in my own motivation for the post.

There does seem to be a desire for more open competitions, though. And this is something we could approach current societies about.

Establishing courses: not difficult. I rent sculpting space at a studio in Carrara, Italy. Easy to establish courses for groups there, or for members to join extant courses. Presumably the same is the case elsewhere.

Last edited by Cantab : 01-27-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:31 AM

Perhaps we need to draw this thread to a conclusion. Interesting to discuss with you, and thanks for the replies. Not enough support for the idea, in the end.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Level 1 user

Hi
from NZ. Society sounds a great idea.
Chele
Old 06-25-2006, 04:07 PM
ISC Member

Please forgive my prejudice, but, why would you want form a stone sculpture society when most of the goals that Cantab mentioned are along the lines of what the ISC already offers on a broader spectrum? Wouldn't it be more efficient and beneficial for everyone to expand the the influence of stone sculptors within the confines of an existing, long-established organization? I can understand the feeling of camaraderie that would be associated with belonging to a society entirely devoted to stone sculpture, but, have you considered the logistical benefit of using the membership support of the ISC's 45 year old legacy?

As far as I see, the ISC exists due to its membership. If the membership wanted to have a stone sculpture symposium, then I would think we, the ISC, could do it. Unless I'm wrong -- that the ISC primarily publishes the magazine and has members only to support the publication and everything else is an afterthought? I hope that's not the case.

I'm also not against a formation of another sculpture society, but, since the goals that were noted were not radically different from the mission of the exisitng ISC, then I don't see the need for a new society as it would be counter-productive. Unless you could convince me otherwise!

I hope I'm not the only one here who thinks we could all pool our resources to make the ISC better than before and make it worthwhile for everyone across-material. Afterall, the last sentence of the new ISC membership letter states:"Having you as a member is important to us and we hope it is a good experience for you." (Though I would replace good with excellent... come on! let's be more energetic about sculpture and the ISC!!!)
Old 06-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Hi Pachyderm - I think this idea died a long time ago.
Good to see your commitment to the ISC. I'm considering becoming a member myself.

Last edited by Cantab : 06-25-2006 at 05:01 PM.