Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

Scout
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 AM

I’d take the ball of clay, shape it into a perfect circular form. Slice into one side, and create an internal cavity, into which I would insert a real stone from a fleshy fruit growing on the island. I would leave the clay form open, so that small creatures (birds out of curiosity, beetles etc) enter it and explore it. And when I am dead (after the two weeks, that is) the cavity would gradually fill with natural debris, and other things grow from it, eventually growing over and overwhelming the clay form.

Last edited by Cantab : 09-05-2006 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:49 AM
Level 10 user

Actually Thatch, I had a similar reaction to the thread too for the same reasons, only my experience really did happen on a deserted tropical island and my mind was so busy working out the practicalities of staying alive and later just trying to stay conscious and not be eaten that art was truly never a part of the picture. I was about to become cantabs earthen vessel - recycled!

Art is a Great Luxury. For both the creator and the collector, and the first thing set aside when the going gets rough. That we can do art, think art and live art is a great testament to the rich blessings, health and freedom of our lives.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Level 10 user

The thread subject was ‘Say you have two weeks left to live……’
At least two of us have got to look that directly in the face and say that art wasn’t exactly on our mind at the time.
It was a direct answer.

Sorry if my levity over recycling disturbed you.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:17 AM
Level 10 user

I think the irony here is that some consider death to be an inspiration. Lack of life is the end of things that life can provide. No inspiration there at all.

Mountainsong, were you "Lost"?

Thatch
Old 09-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Level 10 user

No Thatch I was there deliberately, doing the Robinson Crusoe thing - adventure traveling Latin America, sometimes we’d stop and live in a place for a little bit. This stop I contracted Shigella Dysentery, a nasty little bug by it’s self, but only tends to kill the old and the young.

However the closest pharmacy, some 200 miles away was a little grass shack with no electricity or refrigeration, so the medicine they had for dysentery Tetracycline, was expired when they got it and had gone bad. Most medicines just loose potency and become placebos when they expire or go bad, but tetracycline is one of the rare ones that turns into highly toxic poison.

Took over a week to figure out I was going into anaphylactic shock from the medicines and not dying from the dysentery. But I was almost gone by the time we figured it out, near kidney shutdown from dehydration, under 100 pounds, liver couldn’t process the poison anymore, - the works. Slowly dying in third world jungles is no fun at all…..took years to fully recover from that little escapade.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Level 10 user

I was bit by a bug in Panama when I was 14. I got pretty sick then but it was mostly fever. 20 years later my heart ballooned to over twice it's size in only a few months.
The insect is a Kissing Bug. It's bite is called the Kiss of Death. The disease is named Chagas and it is the number one cause of death by congestive heart failure in the Western Hemisphere but the parasites that live in the Kissing Bugs that cause it are restricted to the low lying levels of tropical rain forest right around the equator.
I was given 6 to 18 months to live 15 years ago on Sept 3. If I hadn't been in a hospital when I crashed and burned I wouldn't be here now.

Its been one hell of a ride and I am not ready to get off. I am extremly hampered by my heart and an old injury to my lower back but so far I am still the lucky sperm and get to create while I consume.

Can I call you MS ?

Thatch
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Level 10 user

Yep, you can call me MS or Song, whatever you’d like Thatch.

Panama is about where it really starts, where the biota starts its reign. I remember a kid with the Peace Core there who got bit by a spider, a spider none of the locals had ever seen before. His skin got hard and shell-like around the bite and then the hardness slowly spread across the surface of his whole body till he was living in a hardened shell. Every time he moved the shell split and cracked and those fissures wouldn’t heal. He was evacuated back to the States. I’ve always wondered what became of him; his prognosis for continuity wasn’t very promising.

The thing about jungles is when you walk in you might as well have a big neon sign on your forehead that says Free Room and Board!! Because everything that can is going to try and move in and set up camp. People tend to think that it’s the poison dart shooting natives, jaguars, piranha and boa constrictors you gotta look out for but it’s the things that can only be seen under a microscope that really have their way with you - and you don't even see them coming. Every prophylaxis and vaccine known to mankind doesn’t even scratch the surface of what’s lying in wait, silently and unseen, in jungles and the water that runs through them.

Even after you survive the jungles and go back home, there’s potential timebombs lying in wait in your cells for their time to become active. The first six months are the worst and the list is long of the things potentially lying dormant which can become active and wreck havoc, then the first year, then the first five years. After than one can relax a bit, but as you know there’s still things that can lay in wait for 20 years after you leave the jungle before they show up to have their way with you.

Hubby and I spent nearly a year between Panama and the southern fringe of the Amazon Basin, crossing the Amazon Basin from North to South. People used to ask me after we came back when we would know we were safe. I’d smile ironically and answer “You can get the girl out of the jungle but you can’t get the jungle out of the girl”.

Despite the extreme mortal danger of jungles and their denizens I’m glad there are still a couple places left on earth where nature still rules unquestioningly and supremely. The planet needs a few places where humans haven’t yet sterilized into submission and bent to their will.
We have a healthy fear, awe and respect now for places which are too green and too damp, for it is not us nor our kind who reigns there but the nature of Nature itself - in all her beautiful terror.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:00 AM
Level 10 user

Oh Man! I knew I wouldn't travel for a reason. Scout
Old 09-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Level 10 user

Scout,
As bad as what happened to me I would still do it. Panama was diverse, dangerous and exciting. As a 13 and 14 year old boy I had high adventure, not just in the rain forest but also in the ocean, (beautiful beaches, surfing, scuba on coral beds) ruins of Spanish forts and lived the life of an alien for a few months in the heart of downtown Panama City (I don't speak Spanish).
The shops on Aveneda Central had such things as an intricantly carved balls of ivory with up to 6 balls inside it from Asia to swordfish bills, to saris. Population was native to Greek, Indian, Chinese, meztizo with a large population of black people from the Caribean who only spoke a pidgin English. Amazing arts and crafts, foods, cultures, music and Carnival. It was amazing.
Camping out in the jungle, hikes hunting for antique bottles into the deepest rain forest. Black palm! I could go on.

Thatch
Old 09-09-2006, 09:20 AM
Level 10 user

I know you probably won't understand this but I have everything I want and need here. We used to go look for adventure and go camping and skiing and fishing etc. with "our place" always in our mind. Now we have everything we went out looking for right here on "our place". Our daughter and her family live next door. We have no neighbors. Every room and out building we have houses a different hobby or art that we love doing. I sculpt while my husband throws in the garage. I turned our master bedroom into a painting studio and put us in the smaller room. Just a bed. What else do you need in a bedroom. I just never felt the need to travel.

I love hearing about your travels though. Tell us more. My sense of direction is also nonexistent so I get lost very easily.....even on our place. Scout
Old 09-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Level 10 user

I suppose Scout, that the genetic gene pools just produces Marko Pollo’s every now and then, people who find the Discovery Channel to be irritating because they are not out there doing and experiencing it all for themselves.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Level 10 user

I love the Discovery channel. People who really rough it like some of you always amaze me. I love hearing about your adventures. But I guess we are off the sculpture topic. Sorry, someone change it back. Scout
Old 09-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Level 10 user

I know it's off topic kinda too but I just wanted to chime in and say that we are a lot alike Scout. I feel completely content on my 6 acres and my family all living nearby where we get together as we feel the need. I sculpt clay while my husband, one room over passionately sculpts words as he writes.

We go outside and enjoy our little oasis that we created away from this world with our stream and waterfall setting. I feel like I have everything I need right here in my home and as long as someone brings the groceries, I don't even need to leave! Ha! Ha! I do like venturing out some, mostly to go look at galleries and art (or nature-God's art) and get inspired.

~Tamara
Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Level 10 user

I destroyed the structure of this thread a while back, so just go where you want. How we live is probably the strongest influence on what we do. I am limited by what I can do physically and having not been able to pursue my carrer for 15 years now, monetarily. I spent $200 on tools yesterday and for me that was quite an investment but I feel I will be able to take what I am doing further and am really looking forward to getting my shipment.
Today I hauled home a piece of limestone that has to weigh around 200 lbs and am going to try my hand at working it. Lots more of it only 50 yards away and I am limited only as to what I can haul up here to my back yard.
This thread started as what I think as a pretty macabre concept and ended up dealing with travel and our homes. I work in materials that for the most part I pick up within a 5 minute walk from my front door and the great thing is I can pick and choose.
My house is right at 7 miles from the center of downtown Dallas, which is around 30 miles diameter not counting the suburbs. The lot my house is on has over 50 trees, most of which are well over 50' tall and many of which are a good 2' thick or better. I look out my window and see wildlife, some landscaping and trees that I will probably harvest for future pieces of art and possibly furniture for inside my house. One of the larger trees is a Box Elder, named for its simularity to Boxwood which has been prized for centuries for it's carvabilty and durability most often used to carve small chests or boxes to hold valuables. The wood in that tree would cost me many thousands of dollars to purchase which basically means that except for the fact that the people who built this house 50 years ago planted one, I would never have the chance to work with any piece of it larger than half the size of a shoe box.
Tamara, I have been collecting pieces of black granite for years (mostly pieces that have fallen from RR berms) with the plans on building a waterfall. There is bamboo growing in my yard (great natural privacy fence) and there are ornamental trees the best of which is a 40 year old Japanese Maple that I and previous owners have planted. Lots of ground covers including a few thousand square feet of mondo grass, too much Nandina and I have "planted" some great rocks (Feather Stone, a very light lava). The yard as a garden is something I have slowly worked on over the years but lately I haven't been able to keep up with nature and have a lot of clearing to do. Future plans include a garden shed that will hopefully look like a Japanese tea house in minature. Art is where you create it.
Scout it sounds like you and your husband have an exellent creative environment on your place and that you have worked very hard to get what you have. If everything you need is in place there is no need to look for it else where.
My father was career Air Force which meant I travelled as a part of my life. I have now lived in one city for almost 30 years which is over half my life. I still do love to travel and hope to move once more in my life. I would like to live in mountains or at least someplace with a long view. Because of my health it needs to be a friendly climate, and Ironman has chosen a great place.
Song, it is so nice to communicate with someone who has experienced a true tropical rain forest in Central and South America. I remember the beauty of the Royal Blue butterflies as well as the hundreds of other colorful insects and animals that inhabit that place. An abundance of life naturally creates super competion to stay alive. Staying alive is to win the competition and of course we all lose in the end. Witnessing what might be termed "Hyper Life" is an experience that hopefully will create an outlook unique and an influence to carry the rest of our lives as expression. Words are not adaquate to express the emotions I felt as a witness to Panama, a valley 10,000'' up in the Rocky Mts, the Grand Canyon, Virgin River Gulch, flying over a tropical coral atoll that looked like an emerald in the middle of the ocean, the night sky on the land where my mother was born (in the summer on the nights of no moon if you lay on your back and relax you will fall into space and know where you are in the heavens), the beautiful sunsets, driving fast cars, being in love......all the things called experience.
I don't get out much and there is nothing wrong with that, as long as I don't forget to wonder at our world.

Thatch
Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Level 8 user

just was trying to get to the heart of it, putting everything else aside
Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Level 2 user

Nice to hear of the Southern travels. In 1978 I traveled south for 6 months to Mexico, Central America, and South America. I almost died of dehydration also. I lost almost 35lbs and was down to about 115. Ilooked like an Aushwitz survivor. I recovered in a little mountain town in Bolivia called Coroico. I wouldn't trade all the hard times in the jungle for anything. When I got back to the states, I felt as if I could do anything. It actually gave me the courage to become a full-time artist and settle in Santa Fe during the waning glory years.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Level 10 user

So you had the courage for Santa Fe? If you hadnt lost those 35 lbs you would've had the courage for New York City.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Level 10 user

Two weeks on a tropical Island with all parts functional.
I would make a water container and a fire pit out of the clay, then build a boat and fishing gear, sail off the island,catch a few sharks and cook them on the fire pit, then when back home write my survival story and once the movie deal is signed buy a sailboat and sail back to the island and relax and make some art.

Dieing or not, I would eat Mr Rogers liver.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Level 10 user

Firstly, I would investigate how they got the power to the island to run my welders (you said equipped with all my tools). Then convert the CD player to a satellite phone and call for help.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Level 10 user

Simple, I'd use the clay to sculpt the fountain of youth and then drink from it, thus dispelling the two week time limit on my life and then I'd build a boat.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Level 10 user

I'd throw away the ball of clay and go walking in the mountains or return to the sea (whence we all came).
Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Level 10 user

I'm sensing a slight aire of lugubriosity.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
I'm sensing a slight aire of lugubriosity.
yeah, its flu season...I'm spittin' those things up too.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Level 10 user

Of course, you might end up with the flu for those last two weeks, in which case its sick bed to death bed (no art involved).....