Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Level 8 user

Re: Say you had two weeks to live and a ball of clay

Thanks Max - Quote
"The country you live in will be forever changed in two generations. Gone will be the freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of movement, racial acceptance and tolerance, individual artistic expression and for good measure, good scotch and tequila." How would you use your artistic voice to preserve what we take for granted today (in the US anyway)?

Any takers?

I would sculpt a twenty foot sculpture 2 feet thick and 6 feet wide. it would be mirror finish stainless steel on one side and on the other it would be stone. there would be an eight inch hole at eye level that would let light through and in the center of it water would be falling only to be seen by looking into the hole. I would invite people from around the world to carve words into the stone covering it from top to bottom. one side would be a reflection of the viewer and the environment the other would be a moment from the past to remind us of who we once were. The water would represent life. i would eat my mothers pasta with lobster sauce and drink wine. I would listen to Miles the Duke and classic rock.
Thanks Max, That was fun.
All the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-06-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Level 10 user

>>What music would you listen to and what would you eat and drink?<<<

you said>>plus your favorite foods and beverage and yes you even have two weeks of life in the batteries in the c.d. player which of course has all your favorite music

well that part is ez.. obviously Id drink my favorite beverage and eat my favorite foods and what the hell..Id even listen to my favorite music

though my light is dim, you have at last turned it on, thank you MarkI get it!!!!!

duck
Old 07-06-2006, 03:30 AM
Level 10 user

Ok, I've got one. Let's say instead of being stuck on an island for an unknown reason and believing that you are going to die in two weeks for an unknown reason, you know these things.

Let's say you've been kidnapped by a children's television show host. Say Mr. Rogers. Except, this is an evil Mr. Rogers, that captures and enlaves people, forcing them to work around his house and in his illicit pantyhose manufacturing facility. Those who are unwilling or unable to work are subdued with radio controlled shock collars until they can be anesthetized and warehoused in suspension tanks, until their organs can be sold on the black market.

Let's say evil Mr Rogers has been contracted to sell your liver to an endangered species gormet club in Japan. He has injected you with a fatal poison designed to pre-tenderize your liver before shipping. It takes two weeks to work, and he puts you in a special solitary confinement cell for the meantime. It has been found that extreme discomfort during the final days of life heightens taste and removes some of the 'gameyness" from human liver, rendering it perfect for the chef's signature Vidalia Onion Bernaise Sauce.

To this end, through surveillance and spies among the other pantyhose factory workers, he has discovered your least favorite music, which is on continuous repeat. He has provided you with about a dozen nearly empty bottles of your least favorite beverage (now mostly backwash), a rubber chisel, and a block of granite so large that it renders you unable to comfortably sit or lie down in your cell.

How will you spend these last two weeks?
Old 07-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Level 8 user

I know how you would spend the two weeks, and you only need one hand for it. great story but instead of Mr Rodgers lets make it Barney that way you would have the great music also. I like your web page. Your work looks like it was sculpted in hell - mind you a very cool hell. I wonder if your minds studio is much like what you described above only the characters different. I can see your island in my mind and its covered in your sculpted plants and the grass is made of razor blades your hut built from the bones of its last proprietors - your bed made of just dead sea urchins insuring a comfy sleep. your music drums from a distant canible island - your food whiskey - heaven it would be.
I like your work - the flowers are perfect - you must be a mad welder. have you ever done a garden made only of your work? Do you like Francis Bacon ? - by the end of your two weeks I would look like his portrait of the Pope only instead of robes I would be in a tea-shirt and shorts.
All the best,
Mark

Last edited by mark pilato : 07-06-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 PM
Level 2 user

For a person who is forced to face daily challenges of the 'will to live'.....my feeling towards Mark's thought provoking question would be quite different than most of yours..

I'd like to use the clay to sculpt a motherly/and, or fatherly figure , who has nurtured me throughout my trials and tribulations in life, yet taught me the wisdom and courage of taking advantage each precious moment that I have in living... and I'd like this sculpture accenting from the ocean and accent to that forever heaven...

I'd hope that my favorite instrumental jazz music is on, for I always finds it soothing.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 AM
Level 1 user

If I knew for sure that I had only two weeks left in this life, I would hope that my mind would be on the next. Even on a deserted isle, you can talk to your Creator.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Level 8 user

Thanks lytnin88,
Every time I sculpt I pray, I think about life, I figure out personal stuff -sometimes It feels like heaven. So say you could speak to God with your sculpture, like a direct line to Divine? what would you sculpt. Lets also say that you have said all your goodbyes and you are at piece with the two weeks thing, which was only put there to make you sculpt from a different perspective.
all the best,
Mark
http://www.pilatostudios.com/pages/home.html
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Level 6 user

With my clay I'd make a sock puppet (with arms & legs)

Seated on a stool before a table with one hand raised upwards, middle finger raised in heavenly salute, the other hand holding a sculpting tool poised over a scupture on the tabletop...of a sock puppet (with arms and legs) seated on a stool before a table with one hand raised upwards, middle finger raised in heavenly salute, the other hand holding a sculpting tool poised over a scupture on the tabletop....of a sock puppet....(repeat a few times until it is impossible to work any smaller, you get the picture)

To be totally pedantic - a image metaphor map

Sock Puppet = flimsy absurd mortal physicality - banal humility versus self-aggrandizing heroics
Sculpting = creative, expressive, contemplative - an excercise of power within our control
Subject of ones own self = solipsistic navel gazing spiral of self awareness (to a vanishing point of insignificance)
Middle Finger Skyward = The artist is alone, the puppet is alone, the supernatural voice is silent even when the need is greatest - you'd be pissed off too, a burning bush or even chatty coconut would change the whole picture - this sculptor drew the line at talking to a Volley Ball.
Regressive Iteration = a nod to the possiblilty that reality might extend beyond what our conventional assumptions about it contend (depending on your culture), infinite return (or regress), dreams within dreams, would appeal to fans of eastern religion and college pot-heads.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Level 7 user

Instead of clay, I will take a pile of metal and a welder..
i would weld myself a nice condo ( ocean front view ) and
I would play Bob marley and poor a cold Leinenkugel Honey Weiss
Beer down my throat.

jim
Old 07-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Level 4 user

HI

Just sending a thread to the following site www.computerspace.org
Old 07-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Level 10 user

Your post is a link to a cyber competition for software games:

(quote) "Up to 12 projects will be awarded with special prizes e-Games. The awarded projects should be games on concrete topics, introduced in section "categories". Games should be registered in categories "offline multimedia" or "online multimedia" depending on the platform of the game."

This is a thread about clay and desert islands in a sculpture forum for the creation of Fine Art. I'm not getting the connection; can you please assist me to connect the dots? Is this what you'd do with the clay?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Level 10 user

Hi everyone, I'm glad this topic was brought back up as I haven't gotten back that far yet.

I'm glad to see the playful side of most everyone. I was beginning to feel like there was a lot of bickering and the attention went to them instead of those who just want something positive here.

Anyway, I'd like to put in my two cents....I think I would begin to see myself inside the clay. I guess making that my coffin. I like to be inside my head mostly, so I'm at home anywhere.

Then after many years of being inside the clay I would only hope that one of you might hear me calling you from in the rock , and help me come back out. Scout
Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Level 10 user

Hi Scout,

That's interesting. That sure would be the best way to go, to be in a ball of clay and be able to pull off little bits of clay and relax and sculpt. Later someone might hear the commotion and let us come back out to the real world. Sounds like some of the studios people live in today. They are stuck in their studio all day till their families call them to come home!

At first I thought you were going to say that you'd make your own coffin and then tombstone.

I'm just as pleased as you are that this thread showed up all the positive people and has been on a note of encouraging one another and not being rude. We have a lot of wonderful people on this site, that's for sure.

~Tamara
Old 07-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

Thanks for the wonderful mind trip. I'm not afraid of death, pain yes, death no, although I don't volunteer for it and want to keep living and creating, I found your scenario very peaceful in a sense. No more struggling to survive, no more phone calls, no more client deadlines, just two weeks of pure creating. I would sculpt a man and woman lovingly holding each other. I would listen to some dreamy classical piano music and the ocean surf, drink champagne and eat chocolate covered strawberries. If it's the last piece I get to sculpt, might as well make it as romantic and inspired as I possibly can.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Level 6 user

Location: 17415 Meadow View Drive, Hidden Valley Lake, CA 95467

You know what's great about this scenario--and I didn't realize it while I was writing the previous reply--is that it stretched my mind to find what do I REALLY want to sculpt. Once I get some spare time between commission work I wanted to sculpt something of my own, but I didn't know what. Now I do!

Thank you, thank you :-)

I'll use that exercise again when I'm feeling stuck for inspiration.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:50 PM
Level 2 user

I would have to be in that Moment of Time for my insperation
.........Mickey
Old 08-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSong
Your post is a link to a cyber competition for software games:

(quote) "Up to 12 projects will be awarded with special prizes e-Games. The awarded projects should be games on concrete topics, introduced in section "categories". Games should be registered in categories "offline multimedia" or "online multimedia" depending on the platform of the game."

This is a thread about clay and desert islands in a sculpture forum for the creation of Fine Art. I'm not getting the connection; can you please assist me to connect the dots? Is this what you'd do with the clay?
Hi Mountain song.I jast learned how to insert a link.But the thread is not without any sense.I make the bronze awards for this cyber competition.About the question.For two week .I can't do nothing, with this clay .It is so ultimat. Honestly I don't have such concentration in one idea only. Arnis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a-ComSpace3.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	3631  Click image for larger version

Name:	BGsite2001.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	3632  
Old 09-02-2006, 06:35 PM
Level 10 user

With the knowledge of two weeks left, I would sculpt two larger than life-size heads of Alpha and Omega, ie. a physical representation of the Father/ Mother God. This would help guide my thoughts and energies towards the return trip home. If I finished those two and still had time left ( yeah, right! ) I would probably sculpt a head of Jesus, for much the same reason. Or Pallas Athena, Apollo, Hercules, Guatama Buddha,...oops, time is up!

As for music, which is a very important element in my work environment, I would stay with what works for me currently...anything Maher, especially the 8th Symphony ( last 1/3 of it ) and the 2nd and 9th symphonies, Christus by Franz Liszt, Wagner, especially the Parsifal and the Ring, Sting, especially Ten Summoner's Tales, Ralph Vaughn Williams, especially Lark Ascending, Serenade to Music, and Symphony #5, Dvorak's New World Symphony, Close to the Edge by Yes, You'll Know When You Get There by Herbie Hancock, Altan, Annuna, and Riverdance ( Celtic ),
Movie soundtracks: the instrumental portions of Bed of Roses, Spitfire Grill, Bodies, Rest, and Motion, and Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon, Matriarch by Joanne Shennandoah, Getz/Gilberto, Peer Gynt and Piano Concerto in A minor by Grieg, Beethoven's 7th and 9th Symphonies, God Only Knows by the Beach Boys, From the Beginning by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, I talk to the Wind By King Krimson, Glazunov, Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #2, and perhaps, my own original CD entitled "At Home In An Expanding Universe" available for only $15 direct from me ( what a shameless plug!!! ). Happy Feet by Paolo Conte, Beautiful Savior sung by Robin and (sudden mental blank ) Kochis, Enoch and The Call of Camelot by the Summit Lighthouse, Montana Bound by the Paradise Players, Turandot by Puccini, an occaisional song by Heart, Some traditional Chinese music, Raga Jin Jhoti by Shiva Kumara Sharma, Paul McCartney, Riders on the Storm by the Doors, nearly anything by Judy Garland, How Insensative and Pass Me By sung by Sinatra, Crosswinds by Billy Cobham, Storm at Sunup ( song) by Gino Vanelli, Coronation Mass by Mozart, Clouds Veil by Liam Lawton, Orchestral music by Gabriel Faure, and two of my favorites, Florida Suite by Delius and Requiem by Durufle, Matthew Best conducting. That should hold me for two weeks! (If I had to pare it down to three composers , it would be Mahler , Wagner, and Vaughn Williams. And for one piece of music it would probably be the fourth movement of Christus by Liszt )

P.S. If hope that this post leads to some inspiring new music selections for some of you, particularly the classical ones and the soundtracks.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Level 10 user

I died 15 years, 2 months and 3 days ago. I was brought back and told I had about a year left. Making Art was not on my mind. Staying alive was. I couldn't make any long term plans for a good 5 years and after fading almost away again I have a new lease with a pacemaker(I became a cyborg March 27th). I am making plans and making Art again. This thread is asinine. You got to fight. Sitting back and accepting something like that just doesn't work. If any one is the type to accept they wouldn't have the guts to make Art with their time because they would be curled up hiding in a corner peeing their pants.

I did get quite a chuckle out of this thread but view it as mental masturbation about wanting to be noble and make art till your last breathe. When death comes you got to be pissed off and fight like hell with all you have or all that will be left is a bit of organic material and what ever you had made before.

Sorry if I burst any bubbles but I thought real experience in the subject would be of better value than a bunch of feel good BS.

Thatch
Old 09-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Level 8 user

Thats cool Thatch, I here you, Sorry that this thread brought out those feelings for you, it was meant to be a playful exercise. congrats on being here today. I hope everyday brings new insights and your sculpture grows.
All the best,
Mark.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Level 6 user

I'd divide the ball of clay up and make a bunch of little one's. Eat cold pizza, listen to Elliot Smith, and have a diet pepsi.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Level 10 user

Maybe I shouldn't have replied to this and ruined the fun but with a perspective on this that few have, to me it really is absurd.

Now if you want to do this you might say,"What if you knew you could only make one more sculpture, what would it be?". As it is now it is kind of like the teacher, preacher, grandfather, etc in the lifeboat and 1 has to go so the others might live. What do you do? The real truth of it is that you will never know unless it happens.

No matter how much you love your art if you know you have 14 days to live I kind of doubt anyone would spend it feverishly trying to make one last object. Things like family tend to over shadow anything else.

Sorry about the post, I guess the only thing to share here is art. Nothing personal about that......grinning.

Thatch
Old 09-04-2006, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatch
Sorry about the post, I guess the only thing to share here is art. Nothing personal about that......grinning.
Hi Thatch, don't worry about your post. You have had such an extraordinary experience, nobody will blame you for your sensitive reaction. Our imagination is poor compare to real life experience. Continue to share, art is so intimately bounded with our deep feelings.

What would be my ultimate sculptor's act having a ball of clay? nothing typically sculpture related I guess, maybe a huge bath of mud to feel an intense organic life all over my nearly dead body.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Level 6 user

Thatch,
Maybe it should be 14 days of liesure instead of impending doom. You're right, in reality, most of us would have more pressing issue's at a time like that.

Still, all in good fun.

cmustard
Old 09-04-2006, 04:53 PM
Level 10 user

Well I could always make a beer mug out of the clay for the keg of Newcastle Brown that came with all the dancing girls.

Thatch