Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Level 10 user

Re: The Self Taught Sculptor, Past life Experience?

Quote:
Christopher parkening studied with Segovia and he learned a great deal from him
And the only way in which he distinguished himself from the Maestro was by not playing with as much passion.
Quote:
We all learn on our own and that is the gist of it to me.
The gist of it to me is many try to emulate, even duplicate the work of others. Thus there is a biG BIG difference between "Everyone, no matter who or what is "self-taught", and the tradition worshiping clones who seek to attain exclusionary fictitious standards of excellence. And back to Parkening. In what way can you compare him to his opposite, Jimi? I heard them both live. That's the limit of my comparison.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
The gist of it to me is many try to emulate, even duplicate the work of others. Thus there is a biG BIG difference between "Everyone, no matter who or what is "self-taught", and the tradition worshiping clones who seek to attain exclusionary fictitious standards of excellence..
Sure, I see what you mean.. Let's look at it from another perspective though, take Egyptian art for instance. I imagine less than .001% of people could tell you anything about the differences between an Egyptian painting done in the 3rd dynasty and the 13th even though well over a thousand years seperated the two. I wonder if 200 years from now anyone will be able to tell the difference between something that was made in 1910 and 2010 by ANY artist? You see to me Joe, no matter how hard the copy cats try and emulate and attain exclusionary and fictitious (important word there) standards,... All one has to do is look/dig a bit deeper to see that individuality cannot be usurped.. There's a whole host of differences between the 3rd dynasty and the 13th even though on the surface they all look virtually the same..
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
All one has to do is look/dig a bit deeper to see that individuality cannot be usurped..
I have no interest in playing art detective. Those little niggling differences are for historians. They don't change the direction of art, inspire or have useful currency. I'm always on the look out for art that makes me say, WTF? Its much much more than the difference of between scratching your chin versus slapping your forehead.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Level 3 user

Smile Re: The Self Taught Sculptor, Past life Experience?

Hi to all my friends and foes alike. it been a long time that I made this post it hard to believe that a subject that work for me to a better understand of my life,s work would start so much controversy but that life. I love to thank all that try to under stand what works for me. as it goes time has a way of test all. It,s time to let you see some of my work in progress, in what I call Ancestral Taino Native American Arte,s. from the Caribbean.island called Borinquen by the native called boricua. better know as Puerto Rico as I visit the rivers of the rain forest of El Yunque on the north eastern side of the island. I use the old way of making art, some call it vision quest, others call it remembering, or call it past life experience The artist must work with what work for the artist. what works for me is taking a time trip back in time trying to remember and coming up with something new that help ones identity as a people you can check it out at http://my.opera.com/davidelindio/blog/ love too post some of my work if interested you can Google my name then try your