Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2004, 03:02 AM
Level 6 user

Your choice of medium for 10" human originals.

I love my Premo polymer clay, but I would like to look into alternative mediums as well.

I will be casting duplicates, so the material could be any color, but not toxic to work with, fumes etc, not poreous like cloth.

What have you found to be the best material for creating around 10" human sculptures? Wax perhaps, something else?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Your choice of medium for 10" human originals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Casey
I love my Premo polymer clay, but I would like to look into alternative mediums as well.

I will be casting duplicates, so the material could be any color, but not toxic to work with, fumes etc, not poreous like cloth.

What have you found to be the best material for creating around 10" human sculptures? Wax perhaps, something else?
Hi again Steven------I wuz getting ready to do a show at the inla and went and got back(there and back again----drinking bad coffee and eating road food has me a tad weary----I'll forward the hi res pix requested in art.....craft....previously within the week.....
<br>
meanwhile:
I use oil clay almost exclusively-----and water clayfor ease of working.

I had thought that PVC was a carcinogen
see:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/environmen.../pvc/index.htm
and:
http://archive.greenpeace.org/toxics...abase/bad.html

Following the basic caveat that: Toxic phthalates can leach from PVC treated with softening plasticizers, and that: heating accelerates outgasing, and that:
I've already exposed myself to enough of this class of toxins to have weakened my liver---------I stear clear. From manufacturing to disposal, PVC has high environmental costs. Its full name is polyvinyl chloride, though it's generally known as vinyl; as the name implies, PVC contains a high percentage of chlorine--it's made with the carcinogen vinyl chloride, and dioxin and ethylene dichloride are byproducts of its manufacture. PVC is hardly recyclable and when incinerated releases both dioxin and hydrogen chloride gas. Dioxin is a very potent known carcinogen; it causes cancer and reproductive disorders, and bioaccumulates and persists in nature.

But chlorine and its dangerous compounds aren't the only problem. PVC is softened for certain uses with substances called plasticizers, stabilized and colored with heavy metals, and treated with fungicides. All these additives can be released in incineration--Greenpeace estimates that 100 toxins are released in a PVC fire. PVC is fire resistant, but smolders at lower temperatures, producing hydrogen chloride gas without visible signs of fire--a literally hidden danger

I guess we all gotta choose our own poisons.
And if you ain't doing a lot and ain't jaundicing(sp?)and keep a window(or14) open during the baking part................You may suffer no ill effects.

water clay will harden- to hold shapes through the molding process, but needs attention to avoid too much cracking. Also it ain't normally considered very toxic.

Wax comes in a wide range of hardness, and can be touched up with any metal tool heated in hot water----but; sometimes, wax fumes give me a headache.

Did this help?
rod(sculptor)

Last edited by sculptor : 01-24-2004 at 06:44 PM. Reason: late thought
Old 01-24-2004, 11:39 PM
Level 6 user

Glad to see you in here. You hadn't posted that I can see for a while. Glad you are keeping busy.

Polymer Clay Fumes:
I have with some extensive searching only found a couple people that developed problems with it and both of these people also were allergic to perfumes and many other things. I have taken the precaution of moving the baking oven (toaster oven) to a large window where I plan to build a tent around it so almost all fumes go outside. A polymer artist that makes his living making dragons and such does this and I didn't see any harm.

Recycling:
In house I waste nothing, early models are ground up in the blender and added to later castings. But as end product there is little debating the terribly long life of these things, yet as a collectable PVC has potential to hold value for a very long time. (Limited Editions.)

I'ts looking like end product will be pewter or some other white metal, primarily because it helps with market penetration, expoture and higher profit margins.

But for the molding stage, I am all ears. I plan to acquire some sample clays and waxes next month and wanted input. Chavent has been mentioned a couple times and I look forward to giving it a try.

I am probably chasing my own tail, and procrastinating getting the work done. But is often profitable to look back and question our choices.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Casey

Dear Stephen,
If you would consider pewter to cast your 10"sculptures, I'll be happy to answer your questions. I invented and built proprietaty machine that sprays pewter. I use it to create life size statues and spray them with real bronze or any metal. Good for patinas and outdoors. I cast small sculptures useing lost wax or for multiple castings I use RTV rubber.You can go to www.napoleonmordas.com to get an idea. I'll be happy to answer your questions, but you have to be more specific. Perhaps you would like to call me (401) 7655365. Good luck wiht your project. Sincerely, Napoleon
Old 01-27-2004, 05:26 PM
Level 6 user

Thank you Napoleon for posting. I looked your site over and found it very interesting. I have been considering white metals, so I will be calling you this week.