Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2003, 12:42 AM
Level 1 user

The value and cost of bronze & stone?

Hello,

I happened to find this place on a search, found it to be an interesting place, and so thought I I would pose my question here.

I'm interested in having a sculpture done of someone I hold quite dear to me. I'm not rich or even middle class, but I want this, if i can. Anyway, I want the piece to have value as an artwork, so that it will be wanted, cared for, and valued in the future.

So, with that in mind, I'm considering whether or not to use bronze or stone. I'm sure stone would cost more to do up front, and would take more upkeep or protection from damage, which might not be able to be repaired. At least with bronze, it can be repaired. It would appear to me that bronze is the best way to go as far as longevity, but what about it value?

Does doing a piece in stone make it that much more valuable over the same piece done in bronze?

Say like 100 years from now, will someone say, "Oh, thats just another turn of the century bronze, it's not worth having."?

Do bronze works from 50 to 100 years ago still have value compared to stone works of the same age?

I know that the art and artist will affect its value.

Any thoughts on the stone or bronze debate would be welcomed.

Thank you
Old 08-13-2003, 10:18 AM
Level 10 user

Does doing a piece in stone make it that much more valuable over the same piece done in bronze?

r Two Cats

The simple answer is "kno." What you have, "stumbled on” is the quintessential question of this chat room. To illustrate the value of art and it's various materials. I tell the story of an interview with a New York artist of the 70ies I read in Actual, a now defunct French art journal. The man was. is, a poor gourmet cook. To maintain his taste for the good life he would shop each day then print up his shopping list. He would then cook the meal, print the menu, eat, and wait 24hrs to can the results with the menu and shopping list as labels. The article did not say if it sold or sells like hot cakes, but. Good luck with your search.

Ardor
Old 08-13-2003, 06:05 PM

All other merits aside, I would guess that stone has more chance of holding it's value independant of the works content.