Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2003, 08:40 PM
ISC Member

Figurative Sculpture Conference

Hi, is anyone going to the conference in July? I've asked through email what the mentor sessions are all about and have gotten no response. I tried to look up each of the people on the internet and find little or nothing about them and so dont know how to choose which one to go to because I can't tell what kind of art they do or what they are about. It seems a little disorganized.

Anybody have any information???
Old 05-30-2003, 09:23 PM
Sculptor

ISC July FigCon

Pamela, Phelan - There's only a little info on this conference in the Community boards at present, but I'll try to find what I can. This conference was organized on a rush basis because of incapacitating problems with a full conference planned for Seattle.

And welcome to this new Board. I have seen your name a couple of times, but not replied. You were a great participator in Russ' earlier web discussion group.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Sculptor

More on FigCon

Pamela - I scanned this forum and the main ISC site, and I think the greatest detail is in the main ISC site itself. There is a header topic, with another URL for more detail..The detail page basically duplicates the May Sculpture mag, but you probably already know this. You can electronically contact ISC headquarters as easily as I can, so Iím not trying that.

Hopefully someone will see these posts and put more material here. As I have never attended an ISC conference, Iím a little lost as to how they work myself. Do the various topics overlap in time, for instance, and is it possible to signup for mentoring sessions on the spot, space permitting, of course?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:54 PM
scupture.net

Hi, I'm planning on going to the conference and I think it is going to be great! I will try and get information posted to this link and email some of the people connected to the conference to answer questions personally.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:58 PM
Level 1 user

Exclamation Conference info

Hi all,

Please go here for information about the conference: Figuratively Speaking

Register by June 18 and save $50! Space is limited to the first 300 people who register with full payment.

Go here for the Registration Form

Hope to meet many of you there. Also, remember that this mini-conference is being held in conjuction with the ISC Member Exhibition and offers opportunities for regional tours of other sculpture venues in the area as well.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:14 AM
ISC Board

figurative sculpture

In response to the inquiry about the structure of the conference on Figurative Sculpture. We try to keep conflicts in scheduling to a minimum. There are no major panels or speakers across from one another. In larger conferences like Pittsburgh or Houston that is not possible but in this case we are able to use that approach. There are optional activities like tours of Johnson Atelier or the GFS sculpture park that are going on all day, and there will be some cases where we are going to set up a panel on Internet and Portfolio opportunities across from a more technical session.

With regard to mentoring sessions. The way this was set up in Chicago seemed to work very well. At registration we had signup sheets with bios of each of the mentors. We limited the audience to 20 people to give an opportunity to interact with the artist. The sessions were designed so that the artist gave a very brief (5 minute) talk about their work and then the questions flew, mostly about survival tactics as an artist. The sessions occurred over lunch time.

I hope that figurative sculptors in the region will respond favorably to this conference since it will set the stage for future conferences on the topic and future sessions at other conferences. Please spread the word and register early to save.

Rob Fisher, ISC Conference Chair
Old 06-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Sculptor

FigCon format

Rob - thanks for this greater detail. I hoped people could sign up for mentoring sessions on the spot, given space. I mailed my registration Monday, and picked only a couple of these sessions, because I knew little about each person. A bio on the spot, or something similar, will help people choose.

I like the idea of continuing local tours.