Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2008, 10:10 AM
ISC Member

Another one sold!

This weekend, I sold another sculpture. Very exciting!

I'm in a strange situation now, because I want to get into a gallery so that they can handle my sales, particularly if I increase my prices (as so many people have told me to do... but it's a tricky trying to arrange for a payment plan on my own). But if my new work keeps getting bought, I don't have much for my portfolio when they ask for recent available work. I guess that should be a good thing

http://sculpture.juliannayau.com/gal...r+7-1.jpg.html
Old 03-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Another one sold!

Hi Juliana
Having trouble accessing your site. Get message: Database error.
Lou
Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 AM
ISC Member

Yeah, I don't know what's happening, but it just started this morning.

I'm trying to fix it, but keep getting errors all over the place.

Here's a pic of the sculpture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled Alabaster 7-2.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	8067  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Level 10 user

Congratulations Julianna. The answer is simple...you just have to double your output...theres plenty of time...Intensity is the key.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:48 AM
ISC Member

Thanks!

The difficulty, of course, is striking the right balance between the day job to pay the bills and sculpture time to not need the day job.

Also, my website seems to have recovered itself. *knock on wood*
Old 03-24-2008, 10:04 AM
ISC Member

Hi Julianna, If you're selling a lot of work, raise your prices (SLOWLY). We should all have such problems!
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Level 10 user

Right, agree with Jeff, but if you're not paying yourself a minimum of 3 times what your day job does for the same work then there's not much to look forward to.

Gotta figure in your hourly rate (whatever it is) say 50 an hour (that's just what a plumber makes) plus material cost times 33% or triple what the material cost originally, plus get a new tool out of every piece so you can make more pieces.. Then factor in artistic value, originality, meaning, finish, colour, temperment, feeling, raw displacement, lifespan and half-life and all those things that can't be value'd like a house appraiser might and whammo, you're over 1k for the piece or at least around $1,200 U.S..

Looks like a garden slug, very slow moving and oozy and contemplative, like it alot.

Steven
Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Level 4 user

I see a sea lion. Congratulations on you sale!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:00 AM
ISC Member

What I keep hearing is my prices are too low. With the formula given above, I'm currently charging 3-4 times less than what I should be!
Old 04-06-2008, 10:41 PM

Better to hear your prices are too low while the pieces are selling than to hear your prices are reasonable and have them not sell.

Often it's not getting the most you can for a piece but instead, knowing the piece has found a home. Maybe you are not in this for legacy purposes, but if you are, every sale is being in another collection. Every collection then has potential of someday ending up in a museum. Those who buy the work are more important than those who make it for it is those who buy it that will tend to the piece and protect it and hopefully send the piece on to the next owner some day.

People with incomes other than the sale of their art, often price their work for their ego's and not the market!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Level 10 user

congratulations on the sale from me too. As to pricing, it may be worth more, but you have to build sales before you can raise prices, or people balk unless they really have to have it. If you're covering material costs plus a something for your time, that's how you start. If you find that people like them well enough you bump the price up a couple notches & try that for a while.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 AM

One should start by studying the market they are in.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:11 AM
ISC Member

Julianna -

Congratulations! It is always nice to know someone values what you do enough to pay for it. As far as selling price or value, you have to find your own comfort zone. There is no formula that works for everybody, because we each make our art for our own reasons. As far as having a body of work; continued efforts, time, and patience usually take care of that (though usually following an incremental rise in prices - just to keep up with inflation if nothing else). <grin>

Zoomcity -

You wrote, "Those who buy the work are more important than those who make it for it is those who buy it that will tend to the piece and protect it... "

What a backhanded complement - whether you intended it as such or not.

I agree that for the art to be successful means there has to be a dialog between the artist and the viewer -- but 'more important' !!!?!

Art is about expression and communication. You can't have one without the other - they are equally important. By saying the recipient is 'more important' than the maker you are discouraging the maker, so why shouldn't she just concentrate on her day job so she can get more money and become an important collector rather than a less-important maker . . . <said with a grin, but as a serious statement nonetheless>

Or if you are talking about the art object as being the most important (the thing that is collected) then you cannot be serious. Dust. Just a form of dust. Even inside a museum's walls it is merely evidence of something that happened at some specific point in time. What happened is important, not the evidence.

Don

www.dondougan.com
Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 AM

There is a formula that works for everybody! Study the market! See what is selling where and for how much. Every market has their price ceilings. Learn them! Utilize them! Grow with them! It really is that simple. It takes time. Study the market!

DonDougan:
If the maker is discouraged, so be it. That's less work in an already crowded market and more buyers.

The viewer is unimportant. The collector however, is yes, much more important than the maker. Without the collector, the makers work piles up with absolute guarantee of quickly turning to dust or finding residence in a dump. This issue pertains to those seeking legacy. The collector is responsible for the well being of the work for a much, much longer period of time than the maker. The maker may have given the work life, but the collector keeps it alive indefinitely!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Level 10 user

I agree about studying the market and not letting your ego get in the way (too much anyhow), but the collector as paramount custodian seems like its streching things a bit.. The average custodian only lives 67 years or 3500 weeks and a sculpture can "live" for thousands of years without really caring about who or what is taking care of it.

I'd say that little rock could outlive any venus figurine and in 20 thousand years it could sell for a bundle.

My advice, carve your initials/name/logo (whatever) deeply in the bottom... Wouldn't want the curators 20 thousand years from now thinking it was someone else's.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondougan View Post
Julianna -

. What happened is important, not the evidence.

www.dondougan.com
Nailed it Don!

however, getting rid of the evidence (swapping it for money)
allows it to "happen" again.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
ISC Member

Beg to Differ Zoom -
Quote:
The collector however, is yes, much more important than the maker. Without the collector, the makers work piles up with absolute guarantee of quickly turning to dust or finding residence in a dump.
Actually I misspoke, out of politeness. I vehmenetly (SP) disagree. Without the collector the makers work piles up. Without the maker the collector is berefit of the zen of owning another persons vision that mirrors their own. If art is an outlet of passion, without the maker the collector would not collect and would be much the poorer without the visual symbol of passion from art.

My argument is that that both collector and the maker are equally important for most people. If you are a maker you are naturally more important, in your own mind. Ditto with the collector.

Now back to my own preening and looking at my fascinating profile in the mirror.

Carl
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM

Tonofelephant, you have parlayed the typical chicken and the egg. Would you rather a dozen eggs or a dozen chickens? You are an artist. You are one egg. A fragile easily broken egg. The collector owns chicken farms. Are you still as important?

Said in other terms, who most often begs for the sale? Seldom does the collector beg for he easily can move on. You the artist however, needs the sale to eat. Only a blind ego finds equality.

The artist as important as the collector. A bit like feeling equal to the family on top of the hill in the mansion, while you pick rice in the fields below. So many artists. So few collectors.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Level 10 user

Collector, Schmollector! People buy art all the time...they can't get enough of it, the extraterrestrial DNA planted inside human's hairy asses aeons ago makes them crave it. All we artist have to do is produce...they'll be around eventually. And while your waiting you simply continue your normal regimen of stringing-together as many pleasurable moments as possible (and that might not have anything to do with Art at all).
Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM
Level 10 user

I have sold my work to plumbers, punk rockers, graphic designers, photographers, other sculptors, bakers, cheese and wine salesmen, journalists, movie stars, insurance salesmen, elementary school teachers, cigar store owners, and all kinds of just plain folks.
In amongst them, I suppose, were a couple of "collectors". But not many.

If you are over 25, you are probably not gonna be the next Damian Hirst or Jeff Koons, and "collectors" dont care if you exist or not.

So you are left to sell your work to ordinary people of all sorts. Which is, as far as I am concerned, just fine. Collectors may hire more expensive caterers, but by and large, they are kinda stuffy and boring.
Comic book shop owners usually have beer at their parties anyway, which I prefer to wine.

Last edited by obseq : 04-11-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Art as legacy versus art as a job. As a job, another in a million object maker, the collector has no importance. In building a legacy, the collector has collections that are acquired by museums. Museums are the best to bring the work through multiple milleniums. Please read through my posts. I am addressing this topic with regards to legacy. If swilling beer, eating fried food, getting fat, and making and selling unimportant objects, are your goals in life, then I am not addressing you.

Last edited by obseq : 04-11-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Level 10 user

Well I'll bet an order of super-sized fries that you wont show us any of the important objects you have made "Zoomcity".
Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Level 10 user

While I enjoy fries, especially Belgian style doubled fried ones dipped in mayo, I am not touching that bet with a ten foot pole.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Ok, you caught me. I'm not an artist. I am an art critic. Can I still play in your sandbox?
Old 04-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Exclamation Re: Another one sold!

Everyone, please stay on topic. Take off-topic arguments to Private Message.