Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Sculptor

figurative bronze

Glad to see that Russ has this new web package going. The earlier forums were highly popular with figurative sculptors.

This will be a short post, mainly to check the web package and to say to all earlier figurative sculptors (and all others also!), COME ON IN.

P.S. - I’m in the ISC Portfolio, but the images are about 8 years old. Maybe with this more enabled software I’ll get up some newer things and open discussion of subject, treatment, et al.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:51 PM
scupture.net

Charles, You're absolutely right , the figurative sculpture section was remarkable, and your input was so important to making that happen.

Many interesting people are making good work all over the place. Most of the time no one even knows about it outside of their immediate community.

I'd love to see some of your newer stuff and also see what everyone else has been up to.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Sculptor

Now that I’m on the new forum, in a figurative thread, I couldn’t wait to search my computer for a recent scan to reduce to <70 kbytes to post. If this goes well, I’m putting up “Female Bodyscape 1 on Panel” in jpeg format. It’s a 2001 bronze wall piece about 15 x 15 inches, with maximum depth of about 4 inches.

I wanted to do some wall pieces, and this one, together with similar “bodyscapes” without the square background panel, was the first. To test the validity of the format, I have done three females and three males, all about the same height. I’ll wait to see if the jpeg post works before going further into motivation, evaluation, etc. As a technical matter, this test image is 4" high, with resolution of 100 bpi.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fbsp1.tz4.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	19  
Old 03-03-2003, 10:35 PM
scupture.net

I made you a little picture to go under your name - if you don't like it we can change it. Nice image, good job getting it up so fast.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Sculptor

second jpeg image, wall bronze

Hooray, it worked! Here is a second work, “Male Bodyscape 3", without the background panel, probably done in 2002. This also is 4 inches high, but narrower. The first jpeg was 66 kbytes, just under the 70 kbyte limit. This one is 46 kbytes because it’s narrower. I add these technical details to help others get images ready to post.

As for getting the images, these are 35 mm. slides I took, scanned to a CD by a local photo shop at 1000 dpi from the original slide. The scans covered the 35 mm. slide area, about 1 x 1.5 inches, and they were on the CD in tiff format, a format which is uncompressed and therefore with no “compression” noise. The tiff files were about 1.4 Megabytes each, and jpegs produced directly were much too large to post. I used PhotoDeluxe to change the size and resolution, tweaking the contrast and intensity, but not hue, at the same time.

Now that we’re this far, I’ll go more into sculpture considerations tomorrow. Meanwhile, if anyone else has things to say, be my guest. And, Russ, I saw your reply to my first post. Thanks for both the comments and for getting up this great new forum!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mbs3xzt.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	20  
Old 03-03-2003, 11:46 PM
scupture.net

About photo attachments I have a post at http://sculpture.net/community/showt...hp?threadid=19
that gives the allowable dimensions.

But remember smaller is good, I like to hit 35k or less for my pictures if I can and 4k for avatars. This is the web and most people have slow downloads of photos. If we keep them smaller people will still be able to load the site and that's what we all want.

Photoshop works of course, but on the mac I love a little shareware program called Graphic Converter http://www.lemkesoft.com/us_index.html that is way less bloated than photoshop and works great without costing $600.

I actually have photoshop also, but end up using this great little program.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:33 PM
Sculptor

more bronze "bodyscapes"

Well, I said I would take up more sculptural issues today instead of technical matters, but here is yet another partially technical discussion, which I need to make some sculptural points. The image attached here is a view of the earlier figure (left), “Female Bodyscape 1 with Panel”, togther with a new one (right), “Female Bodyscape 3". I’ve reduced the image height to 3" to accommodate the extra figure, but the resolution still is 100 bpi, and my computer says it is 68 Kbytes, still under the posting limit of 70.

All these “bodyscapes”, female and male, were done from imagination, with only my earlier figures sculpted from life, plus a few photographs of partial bodies for reference. You can see the problems in generating figures, even these partial ones, from imagination. When the two figures are side by side, differences are readily seen, but if the two are seen separately or recalled after a visit, most people would not recall the differences, and probably say theat the artist had copied himself.

This difficulty partly is a result of my stringent format. I wanted this fairly rigid, same-size, same-pose format as discipline, to make me focus on the differences between bodies per se, without all the glories of varied composition and pose. I also wanted the relatively formal arrangement to help neutralize the subject matter, a nude body, frankly in partial accommodation of public taste.

Discussions in the older figurative forum had alluded to the difficulties encountered with scale in isolated figuration. My own experiences first appeared when I made female and male (partial) nudes to the same height instead of proportionate anatomical height, arguing that we see each individual as a person on approximately the same scale instead of women as typically smaller and men as typically larger.

That let to some of the women looking excessively large when separately sculpted figures were placed together, but when they were in the correct anatomical proportion, they looked too small. My conclusion is simply that scale and perception of figure is very complex, and that multiple figures will appear correct only if they are sculpted together. My earlier discussion friend Nancy Jowski (Nancy, hope you find and join this new forum shortly!) probably would say that I am being too cerebral about all of this, but that’s the way I learn things.

What the images posted here also show me is the importance of mental “archetypes” of the body, another raging subject in the earlier forum.

P.S. Russ - I just saw your note about memory size when I logged in to post this. I’ll try to keep them smaller in the future. And I don’t use Photoshop (Adobe) itself. My version is PhotoDeluxe, the home edition, which was about $80 if I recall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fbs31.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	21  
Old 03-06-2003, 12:34 AM
scupture.net

I'm moving your post to the main page and creating a heading for figurative sculpture.

Many artists have registered that have nice bodies of figurative work and are pursuing topics that are of related interest. I think it is worth developing some of the ideas you are mentioning and others in additional threads.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:13 AM
Sculptor

I thought I’d throw up a couple more of my figurative pieces for variety and to provide more fodder for the mill. Here is a composite of Michele (left) and Lee (right). Michele is 25" high and done in 1995; Lee is 28" and done in 1999. I try to use contemporary and informal poses.

Michele was talking in the first posing session and using her hands very vividly, so I asked her to hold this pose. With Lee, I used a simple support for his arms and imagined him leaning against a fence or a counter. I got the idea for leaving out the support from an earlier figure in which a male was in a crouching pose with a short stool supporting one elbow. It was simpler and sculpturally more effective when I simply omitted the stool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	michlee.barl.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	31  
Old 03-12-2003, 01:10 AM
ISC Member

Arrow

Hey all;

I have a series in which I focus in (one) part of the figure -- the mouth or lips. See the attached picture (one of 83 in the current series of lipworks).

Do y'all think I can call myself a figurative sculptor even though I don't sculpt the whole thing?*

Just a heavy-handed joke -- of course I can! I just wanted to introduce myself and say a few things about figurative sculpture.

I don't think figurative sculpture will ever be 'dead' unless we all pass on to another state of being entirely (and looking at the current state of the world I humbly predict that transformation to be a very long time in the future . . . ).
Figurative sculpture cannot help but be alive while we can see ourselves in the mirror. Even if you don't want to portray the 'bifsteck' Brancusi spoke of, a chair or a coffin are figurative sculptures, aren't they? You cannot help but see the body in the things we deal with on a day-to-day basis the world over, and art will always address the topic of the day, won't it?

That said, I cannot help but be fascinated with the human mouth. Many years ago when I was a student I was researching a paper or something, I came across an image of a Northwest Indian totem pole that portrayed a character with an open mouth. I couldn't get the image of the lips out of my head -- they kept spun and turned themselves inside-out in my mind's eye, until I made them in three dimensions. I could not seem to get them right -- and then I realized they would never be complete -- there are just too many variations.
So I made variations on the lips, and then realized viewers responded to them much more than they did to my more abstract works. I could say things with the lip series (funny, sensual light and dark things) that most people couldn't see in my more abstracted works. I could reach that many more viewers -- all (well, a good proportion of, anyway) those folks to whom anything abstract was a form of heresy.

So my empirical observations show that figurative sculpture is alive and well. My own answer, based loosely on an episode in a dining-car of the Union-Pacific Railroad when I was a wee thing, is the following attachment, titled: POETIC LICENSE; STRETCHED TRUTH

*though I'm not native, I HAVE lived in Georgia most of my 'artistic' career, and the contraction (y'all) and the Italian word 'ciao' are two of the most useful words I have come across since I left high school!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	poeticlicense(stretchedtruth).jpg
Views:	827
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	41  
Old 08-16-2003, 09:52 PM
ISC Member

FIGURATIVE SCULPTURE

dondougan, what a great mouth...ingenious....show us more.
Araich: I like the invisible support that you used in the sculpture of Lee. Nice work....I love this figurative sculpture site. And I really enjoyed seeing the images of fritchie, too. I hope more people will post images of their figurative work. I will do so as soon as I get better at using the computer. Jean
Old 08-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Sculptor

Artist

Jean - Thanks for reviving this earlier thread, and I have to make a minor correction in your assignments. Lee is my sculpture and not Araich's. (He does strictly “abstract” work.) I know when you see so much new material at once it’s hard to keep all the names straight. And the earlier, close-up images also were mine, as you noted.

Thanks for the kind comments, and keep perusing the site to make your own posts. Look forward to seeing those images when you get them!
Old 08-17-2003, 12:43 AM

Re: Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by fritchie
(He does strictly “abstract” work.)

It was not always the case.....
Old 08-18-2003, 12:09 AM
Sculptor

Nonabstract

Araich - Nice head!
Old 12-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Level 6 user

Re: figurative bronze

Fritchie I am glad to see that I was correct in why the male and female Bodyscapes are the same size. And I could not agree more. At least in my mind each person equats to the same amount of my perception of another. Other people may see that quite differantly. I had a heroic female figure in my life. If my mother had been submissive or passive perhaps your bodyscapes would have struck me as odd in their preportioning male to female. I supose our own self image plays into this as well.

Araich your work blows me away. While my path is in figurative my mind loves to slide over the organic sweep of work such as yours.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Level 10 user

Hi
here is a pix-o-my mermaid
and a link to some figurative sculpture
http://sculpture.alturl.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mermaid.left.oblique640.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	288  
Old 08-26-2004, 06:56 PM
Level 1 user

This is my first experience with this site, and I really don't know where to start. Can someone give me the high points of what I need to do to get my work posted. Frankly, I am not too swift with the computer, but do have my slides stored on the computer in jpeg . What is the procedure from this end? Thanks![]
Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM
ISC Member

Well, I'm not one of the authorities on this site, but since nobody else seems to have replied yet, I'll tell you the quick way to post some slides. (jpeg's are acceptable if they're not too big). Just click below where it says "Post Reply", a page comes up on which you can write a msg and, if you scroll down it, there's a gizmo for attaching slides. It's called Slide Manager, and it allows you to browse theough your own files, select one you want, and upload it to the msg. It'll tell you if the files too big and what the limits are. You can attach several. Then you just click "submit" and it's posted to this thread, which is called "Figurative Bronze". Or, you can click on Photo Gallery up there and on that blue strip, and submit photos of your own or somebody else's pieces to the Gallery. There are instructions here and there on the site, if you browse around for them. And there are a lot of folks who know way more about computers and slides and all that jazz than I do. Welcome aboard, and I look forward to seeing your work.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Bernadas
This is my first experience with this site, and I really don't know where to start. Can someone give me the high points of what I need to do to get my work posted. Frankly, I am not too swift with the computer, but do have my slides stored on the computer in jpeg . What is the procedure from this end? Thanks![]
Kim,
Welcome. We all look forward to pictures of people's work, so do stick with the posting idea. In addition to the above suggestions, there is thesize issue. in Photoshop or whatever image program you are using, open the file you'll want to post. Save it under a slightly different name, then reduce the size so that the larger dimension is only 600 pixels or less. If you have Photoshop, then say Save for Web and you will get two windows that show you the original image next to a smaller resolution version. Try to keep the file size low, say 12-40 K. Save it. Then go to the forum and post it.
JAZ
Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 PM
Sculptor

Hi, Kim, and welcome to the site! (Everybody else - Kim is an excellent figurative sculptor from New Orleans, and it's great to have her here.) I look forward to more of your posts, and to the images!

As far as size goes, JAZ has provided excellent advice about adjusting image size, but I shoot for a size closer to about 35 - 55 kbytes for the jpg images. Jpeg is a compression mechanism, and the accuracy of reproduction following compression depends in part on the complexity of shape and colors in the original image. I generally have found sizes below about 30 kbytes to be on the fuzzy side.

But, get started, and you’ll see and be able to adjust for yourself. In any case, welcome!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:52 AM
ISC Member

Introductions figurative sculptor
I too like Kim am new to the sculpture community and hope to take part in the community.
would like to post work as well and will continue to look over the site and learn more about it.
Any assistance would be most helpful.
thanks
M Siobhan
Old 08-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Sculptor

Re: figurative bronze; Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan
Introductions figurative sculptor
I too like Kim am new to the sculpture community and hope to take part in the community.
would like to post work as well and will continue to look over the site and learn more about it.
Any assistance would be most helpful.
thanks
M Siobhan
Hi! I just replied to your post on uses of clay. Look around and I’m sure you will find helpful suggestions in many areas. We do welcome participation by visitors or new members. It makes things more interesting and educational for everyone when we get additional points of view.

No one ever should hesitate over being a “newby”. We all started that way.