Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Level 1 user

Thailand foundries....any good trusted ones?

Hi all, New to this forum. I'm all new to bronzing, my backgrounds in figurative ceramic sculpture and would like to extend to metals...

My question is, does anyone know of foundries in Thailand? My ideal is a foundry on the coast of Thailand and where I can get a studio and living place for a self created residency. I would like the coast as I love the sea and walks along the beach...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you
ER
Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Thailand foundries....any good trusted ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthrooster View Post
Hi all, New to this forum. I'm all new to bronzing, my backgrounds in figurative ceramic sculpture and would like to extend to metals...

My question is, does anyone know of foundries in Thailand? My ideal is a foundry on the coast of Thailand and where I can get a studio and living place for a self created residency. I would like the coast as I love the sea and walks along the beach...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you
ER

I think they you would find only one or the other. The foundries are probably concentrated in the large towns and cities, near transport links, supplies etc. The beaches cater for the tourist. I dont think the two mix well.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Welcome, ER,

Be sure to keep in mind that "brozning" isn't likely what you'll want to inquire about once you get some contacts established in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronzing

Also, check our archives using the search function-- In the past, we've had people ask about foundries in Thailand...
Maybe you'll find some good leads from past discussions in addition to any responses here.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 AM
ISC Professional Member

Hi ER
I have used a foundry east of Bangkok that was originally associated with the foundry Art Cast in Georgetown Ontario Canada. I have found them to be very professional and the work was very good quality.
Mr. Parinya Senadisal, speaks good english and will send you a map in Thai to help you get to the foundry, you will need it as the foundry is about an hour drive from Bangkok centre.

It is not close to a beach so you can't sun tan and cast at the same time.

Fine Art Casting co., ltd.
117 M.5
Muengmai
Rachasarn
Chachoengsao 24120
Thailand
Tel : +66 38 848 598 , +66 38 848 204
Mobile: +66 85 071 9992

Let us know if this works out for you and say hello to Parinya from me.
Regards Blake
Old 04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Level 10 user

Blake:
Do you ship models to this foundry to be cast? If so how does that work out?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:52 AM
Level 1 user

@Blake

Thanks mate much appreciated I'll check them out...

ER
Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 AM
ISC Professional Member

Hi Mack
Sorry for the delay in responding.
I was a guest in a studio in Bangkok and so created the piece there in clay and cast the original plaster myself. I let the foundry pull the rubber mold and they did a great job. I supervised everything, the wax, the bronze chasing and the patinea and am very happy with the results. I would say that you don't need to oversee their operations but I am too much of a control freak to ever do that.
I can recommend this foundry, the price is right, as well shipping has not been a problem for a small piece, ( approx. 14 kgs) they sent it Fed Ex and it was under 200.00 dollars to ship Bangkok Toronto.
As I said Parinya speaks good english and is most helpful.

You could ship your plasters there but i would recommend that you go to establish a relationship with them.
They will reproduce an exact copy of the original, it is amazing. The attention to detail is outstanding, one of the women wax workers hand copied the surface details from the plaster original to an extent that I have not seen in any other foundry. It must have taken her days to do it.
Let me know if it works out for you
Kind Regards
Blake
Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Level 3 user

I'm looking into this as well, was recently in a dialogue with Australian Bronze in Sydney inquiring about casting and molding, though they seem expensive so I'd like to take the trip to Thailand myself as well.

Here's a part from the email with AB: (The yelling is done by their corespondent)
3.is this best done in lost wax casting to capture all the detail?
LOST WAX IS THE ONLY OPTION FOR YOUR LEVEL OF COMPLEXITY AND DETAIL
4.Also how much will it cost (estimation) for the mould and any repoductions there after. (The work is around 35 cm or 14 inches in height )
MOULD ABOUT$1800 BRONZE CAST ABOUT $2600 .

Is this a normal estimation, again, it seems expensive. I feel like they want to bamboozle the noobie.

Hey Blake, do you have some pictures you can show from the work they've done? Also, how big was your piece and can they do lost wax casting?
Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM
ISC Professional Member

The foundry that I mentioned will be less money than that quoted to you above.
I paid around 1200. USD for a 1/4 life size bronze.
Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06664.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	13107  
Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
ISC Professional Member

A better photo to give you some scale of the size of the work.
Hope this helps
Blake
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foundry BKK0482 v small.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	13108  
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 AM
Level 3 user

Thanks Blake, looking sharp. The second picture sure helps for getting the scale, as it looks monumental. I have some follow up questions if you don't mind.
1.The 1200 dollars, does this include the molding?
2.What type of casting, (lost wax?)?
3.How long did it take for casting & molding?
4.Am I bothering you with these questions?
5.How is the food in Thailand, I hear many good things.
6.Did you cast only the one work?
7.Is it up to par with the other foundries you've used?

I like the layout of your website very much, it looks professional and it instantly shows your work in a non intrusive (read over-sensory) manner.
Thanks again for informing me on what will become quite the adventure for a young sculptor in training.

One of the websites in your signature reads ...blake-retink.com, a small error to overcome.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:21 AM
ISC Professional Member

Hello Adolphine

1.The 1200 dollars, does this include the molding?
No I can't remember how much the mold was but it was within an acceptable price range and was very well done and properly stored. That is to say filled with plaster and stored open with both sides flat on a shelf.

2.What type of casting, (lost wax?)? Lost Wax, Ceramic Shell and Silicon Bronze

3.How long did it take for casting & molding?
Again with acceptable limits, I never rush these things as you just pay in quality. But you can't go there on a holiday and expect to have a bronze at the end of 2 weeks, you need to go back. I took them the plaster and we came up with a price, then went back to check the wax and then again to check the bronze and patinea.

4.Am I bothering you with these questions? No happy to help

5.How is the food in Thailand, I hear many good things. Can be very good it depends, usually it is very fresh, which makes it so much better than the frozen that we are often used to.

6.Did you cast only the one work? So far I have cast 3 copies of the one piece.

7.Is it up to par with the other foundries you've used?
The attention to detail is far better than the European foundry that I use as they can not afford to spend the time on the finishing that the Thai foundry can spend. Attention to detail is amazing.

I supervise everything... as I am a control freak, but they will produce an exact copy of what you send them down to a very fine level of detail.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the note about the website, hard to get everything perfect but we are working on it.
Kind Regards Blake