Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 05:16 PM
ISC Professional Member

FRAGMENTS EXHIBITION

Fellow artists:
I have been planning a series of exhibitions for several years and now I would like to tell you, my colleagues, about the project.

The idea began while visiting Vietnam in 2003 where I witnessed the devastating impact that unexploded weapons have on a local population, ensuring that a war long over can to live on for decades. This troubling realization inspired me to try to help change this reality and I am offering the “Fragments” collection of sculpture for sale, with 75 percent of the sale price to fund landmine clearance.

“Fragments” were original inspired by the archaeological remnants of sculptures that I saw in museums and like those ancient remains, “Fragments” speak of the tragic nature within us, and the continuous cycles of war that makes up our history. These sculptures have remained hidden in my studio for many years as I considered that they lacked authenticity and remained unfinished. Only in witnessing the tragedy caused by landmines did I realize that these works of art had a purpose, and they were to push my sculpture past social commentary, for they could actually work to change this terrible reality on a practical and tangible level.

Through “Fragments” we have begun to make a difference, and I am presenting this body of sculpture in order to continue to manifest this difference. Since July of this year, “Fragments” have been removing unexploded weapons in Vietnam as well as having mapped a minefield in Angola.

The campaign continues at:
The Canterbury Festival October 13-25
Chapter House, Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury, Kent CT1 2EE

And again
November 1-17
The Fragments Exhibition
Royal Opera Arcade
5 Pall Mall
London SW1Y 4UY
England

Along with finding this purpose for my art, a group of artists have helped me to create a website ( www.motive-art.org ) for artists who want to help victims of war, poverty and disease by raising money for charities supporting the victims of human injustice. The site will feature artists who wish to donate their work or time to charitable projects.

For centuries, artists have used their work to make political and social statements. We believe this is not enough.
We want to turn talk and art into positive action.
Our aim is simple but huge.
We want artists to help create a better world.

The “Fragments” collection represent 20 sculptures created over the last decade, and now having found their meaning, they will fund The No More Landmines Trust in order to continue their mine clearance work across the developing world.

We do not expect other artists to give away all their work. I felt that to launch Motive, I needed to make a dramatic gesture, we are only asking you to help where you can and to assist the charity that is close to your heart.
Motive would like to help you where we can.
Motive invites artists to visit the website, register and get involved with the debate on how artists can change the world for the better.
Motive. art for life's sake.
Please join us. www.motive-art.org
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adbwwv2lifesakeweb.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6978  
Old 09-11-2007, 05:17 AM
Level 10 user

Re: FRAGMENTS EXHIBITION

Blake: I am glad you can now publically announce your exhibitions, your website and the other related activities. I wish you every success in your admirable efforts.

You have clearly gone beyond being an socially conscious artist who just provokes and make statements. In our troubled world, action is very much needed and you are a good role model among artists.

I note the Motive website is much more professional and has much more contents than the trial version. A good website can of course reach a much wider audience than exhibitions.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Level 4 user

I admire the generosity of your pursuit - and I hope to someday be in a position from which I can give in a similarly substantial, tangible, and direct way. I wish you success and I look forward to the growth of Motive.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM
ISC Professional Member

Thank you all for your kind words.
I hope that you will check out the web site at motive-art.org
Anyone who is in Canterbury between Oct 13 and 25 or London between Nov 1 and 17 please come into the show.
If you can make it please introduce yourselves to me as I would love to meet my forum friends face to face.
Hope to see you there.
Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AD-BWW-V2-Art-Imitating-web.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	6981  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Level 10 user

Blake: I notice these comments in the latest article of your website Motive.

"MAG removed and destroyed three cluster bombs that have been in the family’s garden for more than three decades."

I think MAG stands for "Motive Art for Good".

I am glad MAG has extended its interest beyond landmines to include cluster bombs.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 AM
ISC Professional Member

Merlion
MAG actually stands for Mine Advisory Group . But we will add Motive Art for Good as well great idea!
MAG is the organization that FRAGMENTS are funding through NO MORE LANDMINES in Vietnam. NO MORE LANDMINES use several organizations to clear landmines and unexploded bombs (UXO) in different countries in the world, but NO MORE LANDMINES also provide Survivor Support and Mine Awareness Education. MAG deals only with clearance and will clear any explosive devise including the 1000-pound bomb that did not explode when dropped some 30 years ago. There are many of these unexploded weapons that remain in Vietnam for example, where in Cambodia it is mainly landmines that contaminate the country. In Iraq, Afghanistan, and Lebanon cluster bombs are very prevalent, so you can see that the problem changes with the country. Over 90 coutries in our world are contaminated by unexploded weapons of war.
Using our art we can help I am very pleased to know that Fragments are already making a difference.
Thanks for you interest and support.
Blake
Old 09-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Level 10 user

Blake, I had a quick glance at the two other websites you linked, MAG and NMLM. Perhaps you can give the feedback to them. They document and give information. This may serve a useful purpose, but it means they are not interesting reading, even to me.

Last edited by Merlion : 09-15-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:55 AM
ISC Professional Member

Merlion
I will pass your comment on to the charities. However, both of the charities sited here will not spend any money on their web site and only have volunteers who do this work for them. It is too bad but then I agree with this as I would not want to see any of the money that we are raising to go a web site, I would rather clear some landmines from a few meters of land.

We have some of our videos up on the site now check them out HERE
I have found that our videos will not play on Internet Explorer at all, they have buffering problems on Safari but play very well on FireFox which you can get for free HERE
Please let me know how you make out so we can correct the problems.

The videos of the sculptures are meant to be art in and of themselves and most are the creations of Surinder Singh who has been a partner with me in this project. We also have an ad for landmine clearance that was done by Samantha Shaw, thanks Sam.
The tails (endings) are all different and I was hoping to get some feed back as to which ones people like best.
Please feel free to comment either on the Motive-art site or here at sculpture.net
Thanks
Blake
Old 09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
....I agree with this as I would not want to see any of the money that we are raising to go a web site ...
I don't think so. Charities need appropriate publicity to made themselves and their worthy actions known so as to attract more supports and donations. Anyway, we are digressing off topic.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:32 AM
ISC Professional Member

Merlion
Spoke to No More Landmines about their site and we will try to update it.
Thanks for your input.

Getting a little wild here now with final preparations.
It always comes down to the last minute... human nature.
The last three bronze sculptures are waiting in the foundry. I will head to Bologna early October to do the patina and then take them with me to Canterbury. I will have 40 pieces at the Canterbury Cathedral
It is getting exciting now.
Regards Blake

for more information please see
Motive-Art.org
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Poster-Catalogue-BW-1.1-web.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	7019  
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM
ISC Professional Member

I am very honoured to be included in the celebration of the tenth Anniversary of the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Jody Williams for her amazing work involving landmines and the Ottawa Convention to Band Landmines.

Cinema Verite, is hosting FOCUS 2007 this month in Monaco and Paris. The meetings will focus on the issue of landmines and cluster bombs, and will honour 1997 Nobel Peace Prize Winner Jody Willimas for her contribution to the movement against landmines. The official artist BLAKE will be showing his Fragments Series of sculpture at the evening ceremony in Monaco under the patronage of S.A.R. la Princess de Hanovre.

In addition to Williams, the events will also pay tribute to Louis Jenson, the inspiration for the film North Country, and Carla del Ponte, the Chief Prosecutor for the International Criminal Tribunal in The Hague. It will take place in Monaco from Oct 10 to 11 and continue afterwards in Paris from Oct 12 to 14.

Among films already confirmed are Rory Kennedy’s Ghosts of Abu Ghraib, Marcel Schupbach’s film about Carla del Ponte Carla’s List and actress Marianne Denincourt’s directory debut, a documentary about children in Afghanistan.

For more information, please visit the Cinema Verite website: Cinema Verite

Discuss Cinema Verite and its efforts with the FOCUS festival in our forums:http://http://www.motive-art.org/for...hread.php?t=20
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AD-BWW-V2-Art-Imitating-web.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	7087  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinema-Verite-2-small.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	7088  Click image for larger version

Name:	FirefoxScreenSnapz001.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	7089  
Old 10-20-2007, 04:54 AM
ISC Professional Member

We have opened in Chapter House at the Canterbury Cathedral.
This is the most fantastic exhibition space that I have had the honour to show in. It brings a spiritual aspect to the work that adds so much and presents the sculpture as the hell on earth that landmines truly create.
If you are around Canterbury, please stop by and say hello. I am at the exhibition every day and am trying to talk to everyone who comes to visit.
It is great fun and I am so very appreciative of the Dean the Archbishop and the Anglican church at Canterbury for this opportunity to raise awareness of the landmine issue.
Hope to see you
I don't know why, but I can no longer post pictures here so if you would like to see what it looks like please go to
http://www.sculptureblake.com/latest/index.asp
Kind Regards Blake
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 AM
ISC Professional Member

Latest update and a couple of photos.

Canterbury Cathedral closed on Friday last, it was great fun and we received several thousand visitors. The building was built in the 1200's and had no heat so we froze but the history and religious relevance of the chapel brought an element of spirituality to the sculpture that was unique and wonderfully impressive. This work was very much at home here, it was difficult to leave.
Now we are setting up the London show at 5 Pall Mall, I am very excited.
My thanks to all who have helped and you for your interest
Kind Regards
Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Donna-Cieling-329web.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	7215  Click image for larger version

Name:	Becky-Luca-Glass-sweb-8338.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	7216  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant-Hall-sweb-126.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	7217  
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM

Beautiful looking show, Blake. Great work, great site, great cause... what more could you ask for? And it's a rather small thing, but I like the constructivist pedestals for the sculptures. It keeps the installation light and dynamic.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Level 10 user

Speechless....
Old 10-31-2007, 05:08 AM
ISC Professional Member

Thanks for your encouragement.
To show in a chapel was really different for me and I was overwhelmed by the response from the public. The Fragments (for landmine clearance) were perfect to show in a church.
I tried to speak to everyone that I could and after 12 days still was not tired of giving my “this is what these are and this is what they do” speech. I offered 1 minute, 3 minute and 5 minute versions of the speech. Some were more interested than others but almost everyone was happy to speak to the artist, and there were some good questions that came up.
The bases are a personal design and come apart for transport, they are made of steel so are very sturdy and easy to maintain with a spot of spray paint. Although I am liking the industrial look for all the ware and tear on them for this show.
Some more photos
Thanks for your interest
Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Adam-5sweb-Cant-196.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	7224  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant-Hall-sweb-123.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	7225  Click image for larger version

Name:	Madonna-Glass-sweb-225.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	7226  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant-Hall-sweb-130.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	7227  
Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Level 10 user

Thanks Blake for sharing. The whole show is fantastic. Beautiful pieces, very much enhanced in a grand setting, and a high number of turnout We have never seen anything like this.

The lines of the pedestals match those in the chapel. It is a good idea having them.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Level 10 user

Blake, TOP notch in every way. And your work, idividual pieces and entire installation, is not at all overwhelmed by the chapel environment. The whole darn thing is quite an achievement. Sure to fuel you for continuing great things.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 PM
ISC Professional Member

Thanks for all your support
I have so many great photos that I can't help but post some more.
Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cant-Hall-BM-sweb-8359.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	7231  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant-Hall-BM-sweb-8396.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	7232  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant-Hall-BM-sweb-8403.jpg
Views:	484
ID:	7233  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cant-Hall-BM-sweb-8465.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	7234  
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 AM
ISC Professional Member

Opening the event at 5 Pall Mall tonight.
Very excited, almost all set up.
If you are in London please come down to Trafalgar Square any time after 5:30 pm tonight....... or anytime between the
01st and 17th of November 2007
Monday through Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm.
Please find me and say hello.
I will try to post some photos of the event as they come in.
Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Butter-Brand-Web-144.jpg
Views:	518
ID:	7237  Click image for larger version

Name:	Frags-Branding-apple-web900.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	7238  
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Sculptor

Altogether, an excellent collection and exhibit, Blake. Congratulations!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Level 10 user

Some of you may not notice the other thread mentioning that Blake's exhibition got reported in the BBC and another online news site.

Art inspired by landmine victims

(With hindsight, I should not have created a separate thread. But it is done already, and I cannot change it.)
Old 11-09-2007, 06:50 AM
ISC Professional Member

Merlion and Fritchie
Thanks so much for your comments and encouragement it really means allot to me to have the support of this community.
Here is a link to Kent TV from a program released on the internet.

http://www.kenttv.com/programmes.php...Sculpture+Show

The Pall Mall Show is going well, I will post some news soon
Regards Blake
Old 11-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Level 10 user

Blake- I totally missed this whole thread! So... I'm a bit behind in responding. What a wonderful exhibition! I love the fragment style that you've developed. Your advertisement pictures look really great too. I especially like letter font you chose for "Fragments".

So happy to see your successful show!

~Tamara

(I couldn't get the video going on my computer)
Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 AM
ISC Professional Member

Hello HappySculpting

Thanks for your kind words
We are having great fun at the Pall Mall exhibition and sales are coming along slowly but surely, so I am pleased with where we are. We have raised a good deal of money for landmine clearance and I hope to be able to clear the minefield in Angola that we surveyed in July this year. In this area of Angola, one person in three is an amputee. One more week to go and there is good traffic through the gallery.

Here is a link to the bbc story.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7073039.stm

Thanks for tuning in
Regards Blake
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pall-Mall-outside-sweb-163.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	7307  Click image for larger version

Name:	Pall-Mall-sweb-171.jpg
Views:	481