Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2003, 01:51 PM
ISC Member

Techniques

I would be interested in a regular feature on techniques of active sculptors. Not how to cast bronze but current methods in all materials that are creating some seamless and remarkable sculptures where the method is clearly [if not always advertised] a good part of the message. Thus, recent article on Patricia Cronin's use of the new carving machine at Johnson was equally interesting as to her and as to her method. Maybe this is like asking Houdini for a diagram, but I suspect that some sculptors are as proud of their technique as of their product.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:48 PM
Level 2 user

working methods

Are we a diverse bunch or what? My work is very low tech and figurative, but I'll offer my two blobs worth on mediums and methods anyway.
I use mud exclusively, and there is method (both emotionally and intellectually) to my mudness. Creating something out of a lump of mud is an undeniably timeless proccess. The first gods were modelled out of the mud at Ur - how long ago? (Now wer'e back at Ur trying to roughly tuck the figureless god of global capitalism into the cradle of civilization. Even the post modern infidels are dumping the human figure...so where DOES humanity still figure in our art or our lives?) Eh?
If you take the physics of form and creativity into account - we reveal the infinitely original nature of matter... and the fact that even the immaterial - matters. Woops, that sounds veritably first past the post-modern. Sorry.
Regards
Benny
Old 04-24-2003, 12:29 AM

a feature on technique would be great

im a huge fan of process not only in my own work but in that of others.....

besdies being able to learn other ways of object-making the opportunity to have a glimpse into another artist's thought process is as interesting as the finished piece itself!

perhaps an evolution of the piece at hand...that sort of feautre would be wonderful.
Old 04-24-2003, 01:05 AM

just back from your website benny, i'm not sure what the difference between mud and clay is but your work has a haunting lifeness to it. the portaits of malinche and muggi myall and the monolithic heads are simply stunning. gotta get me some of that mud!
Old 04-24-2003, 01:53 AM
Level 2 user

Thanks

Clay is so damn high tech these days...what I do is more like what folk did with clay before pottery was invented. 'Ceramicist' is nasty sounding word don't you think?...I'd rather describe myself as a professional muddler.
Cheers.
Benny
Old 04-25-2003, 04:12 AM

technieuqe&process

why not make this a permanent category somewhere on the board..???

can this be done?
Old 04-25-2003, 04:18 AM

benny

just had a chance to look at your website....

your personal statement/intro is one of the most thoughtful that i have read in quite some time.....

youre clearly devoted to your medium....!