Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Level 10 user

New Art Review

My work will be featured in a publication called New Art Review. They tell me it will be one or two full pages and that I was selected from 500 aplicants. I was invited to submit photos after one of the judges saw one of the pieces on my etsy store.
This is one of the pay to enter contests. I did voice my concern over this aspect of the contest. I guess sometimes you just need to eat your ego. I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Level 10 user

Re: New Art Review

the 25 bucks is no biggie, but once you are accepted how much does it cost for that page in the book? This cost can rocket up to 500 bucks easily in such publications. Better check that out and see how the book gets used (distributed, sold, made-available). We all must watch out for entities that wish to take advantage - must be sure the field is level...make sure they spread the wealth to the artists...cause this is on the "business" end of things.

We all got to balance the budget...tools, materials, food, amusement and...yes, "business". Things we do in the name of exhibition and outreach are, indeed, necessary. But yet we should squint at every "opportunity" - lest we learn the hard way.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
This cost can rocket up to 500 bucks easily in such publications. .
Even 500 bucks is no biggie if you know you'll be getting your bang for it.
as evaldart says be very wary. methinks this lot is a bit on the nose.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks guys. They say it will be sold from the web site and amazon. I have been accepted and they havent asked for any money. If they do ... well thats just too bad for them I guess. I allready payed to publish my own book through blurb and it is good enough.That only costs $ 20 a book.
But thanks for the warning. I will keep you all posted.