Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Happenings and featured members
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2005, 10:06 AM
Level 10 user

The Art of Giving

I just recieved a really impressive package inviting me to be an artist in "tzedakah:The Art of Giving"-Centennial Celebration Project ,in August 06.The show celebrates the 100th year of the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta.The part that was unusual was they have asigned the artist personal representatives for the show to answer questions,help with your mission statement,and call periodically to check in,thats a first fo me.The sculpture/box has to be custom made for the show.Although I do not have deep pockets to give cash to varous causes,I use my art and studio skills instead.I started working with the federation art chaity in 1991,and along with many other artist we have raised a very impressive amount of money,and I have meet many of my top collectors at the events.I believe it feels better to give ,than take IA
Old 11-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Level 10 user

Re: The Art of Giving

Sounds like a well organized project.It would definitely be a pleasure to participate in such an event.
I'd love to hear about their community projects, they must have the power to move mountains!
Yep, I looked at their website... mountains I tell you. I also think it's wonderful that the proceeds from the art goes back to art education in the community. It must be very gratifying to have your gift be part of something so vibrant and alive.

Last edited by grommet : 11-30-2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:04 PM
Level 10 user

Grommet, I don't know about moving mountains,don't remember meeting Moses,but by gosh some of these folks can afford to move mountains.I can't remember how many pieces I have sold through federation art functions,but along with all the other artist over the years,it adds up.It feels great to give through art,and I have some time to really fab up something first class for this show.One of my early post was for young artist to get involved with organazations like this,win win for everybody.Money raised,tax right off,great exposure and a little dough for the artist envolved,It,s a beautiful thing.Shows like this heal the pain of being a sculptor and full time artist,can be emotionally and physically brutal at times.........IA p.s. I thought I would also share a cool angle of doing these shows.I was in a fund raiser with the Jewish women auxillary several weeks ago,not having work available, I donated $1000 off towards a commision work.Somebody bought it ,and I have not even herd from them yet.It worked great for me last year as I wound up with two sales from the commissioned work...

Last edited by iron ant : 11-30-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Level 10 user

nice... thanks for the tip. I've had limited success with art donations, heathens not bidding at an auction because the art table didn't match their sofa. EEK! It did sell, but didn't bring what it should have. Big seller was a decoupaged desk. Shoot me now.
I found a more appreciative community at the local schools, they're glad to get anything.

Last edited by grommet : 11-30-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Level 10 user

The Art of Giving

Is it really giving when the cost of the sculpture is subtracted from Taxes?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Level 10 user

if you spend $50 on materials and 300 hours on the piece... you tell me, is it giving?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Level 10 user

The problem is with the IRS.
If an artist can only deduct the cost of materials...
Just like some people who pay you for the gas
that it costs to take them somewhere...
What about the wear and tear o the vehicle and
your time.
There was a saying in America:
Times is Money
The hours spent on creating a sculpture
The cost of the studio and utilities
should all be taken in consideration.
The deductions should be based on total cost
Not on just the materials.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Level 10 user

If that's all you're concerned about, go be a bean counter. If you're really an artist, don't get caught up in their mind numbing bean counting. Use those brain cells for something more productive. Give because you can give, not for the benefits to you. Then it's giving, not ego stroking. It's okay to feel satisfaction that you have produced a good thing-- then get over it, quit looking for the tax write-off you think you deserve. Monkeys will eat your entrails before you see any equity in the system.
If you're looking for perks, Yale University stopped charging tuition to families making under $60,000. Raise bright children.

Last edited by grommet : 02-25-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: confusion removal
Old 02-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Level 10 user

It is perfectly OK to give. The Moroles sculpture Zig Zag Diamondback Totem was donated to the University of Texas at El Paso by philanthropists who purchased the work from the sculptor. Would the school have given it the same appreciation had it been offered by the sculptor as a gift?
It is good to give if the gift will be appreciated. People appreciate things that they buy because there is a monetary investment. Things that are given are not equally appreciated.
I have given many works to the local PBS public television that they sell during the annual auction. They keep all the proceeds. It is well and good to give but the artists should get some form of benefit that rewards that behavior.
My twin brother Joseph before he died, gave away all his possessions, including two cars. As they say we can't take it with us. But as long as we live there will be bills to pay, obligations of food and shelter.
It is good to give when one has more than one's share - but to a good cause.
I believe that I have given more than I will ever receive. In the end, all my sculptures will probably end up in the museum that is wiling to keep them in the public's eye and not in a vault where no light shines.

Last edited by marblecutter : 02-25-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Level 10 user

The Art of Giving

When people give what they really canít afford to give, thatís really giving." Yolaine Biennevil.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Level 10 user

Marble cutter,tax rightoffs are not my motivation,as you can only right off materials,and after twenty plus years of doing Charity art show,I have never wrote off anything that was not cash donation.Basically I am giving my time,which I cant afford to do,but when you have passion and heart,it does not matter.I just donated an $18,000 sculpture to the Booth Western Art Museum,and since it was in my collection,and not purchased there was no claim to write it off,which had nothing to do with the donation.It just fit the spot,and I donated it to a museum that has been great to me and my Career,and I hope it is enjoyed and seen by many people.........IA