Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 AM
Level 4 user

Plein Air Sculpting

I have always been a fan of Monet and the Impressionists so lately I have been taking my clay and doing some reliefs of some landscapes. I am mainly a figurative sculptor but I like getting out of the studio and I also like not having to worry about hiring a model.

The only sculptor I know who has done this to perfection is Stanley Bleifeld. However, I am trying to learn more.

Does anyone have any advice?

Much appreciated, Mark
Old 04-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Level 9 user

Re: Plein Air Sculpting

hey could you give me a link to some landscape work he's done? google's not showing me any landscapes, but his work looks pretty good.. would love to see some landscapes of his.
ta...
Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 AM
Level 10 user

My barns too small, bout 2500 sq, so I'm outdoors most of the time...year round. Sometimes its too windy for the mig welders so I use the stick. I have three, a Ranger 8 thats often parked by the barn doors, a 5000 watt smaller unit in a roll-cage (you can drag that one anywhere), and a standard ac/dc buzzer on long extension cords. my main large vises are mounted outside, one into a ton of concrete footing and the other to a very heavy welding table. The vise is the most important too I use. I have two rolling gantries out on the grass - this sucks in the sloppy weather and in snow because they can only be moved by laboriously jerking them about. Though there are indeed some difficulties involved doing all this outdoors, it somehow feels much better than the darkened warehouses and factories that I had previously always occupied (even though they were gratuitously spacious). Though I only have an acre, the vastness around me feels endless. The Boneyard is in the corner of the property so I'm no longer working AMONGST my treasured junk and scrap. 50 or so sculptures are always on display at any given point, not simply shoved aside and stored. When people come for visits we often never even enter the "studio". Its all there out in Plein Air.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Level 10 user

Mark; It may be of help to look at the realm of art medals, prolific during the 19th and early 20th century. There is a good site to look at, with the warning that by clicking this link some pop-up ads may also appear, which of course you can just click off.

the site is:

http://users.pandora.be/emanuel.vand...edal/index.htm
Old 04-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Level 4 user

I thought the medals were cool.

Here are a couple of links of Bleifeld's landscapes. He has a self-titled book that has a lot more. It is out of print and took me forever to find, but it is worth it.

http://stanleybleifeld.com/Oriental%20Landscape.htm

http://www.matteucci.com/artists/stanley-bleifeld/
Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 AM
Level 9 user

They are really nice, thanks
its hard to do a landscape in bronze that people can deal with, i tried it before, nobody could "get it", even tho i liked it.
but those look great!
i'm gonna have another go at it.
thanks kindly
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Level 10 user

I'm reminded of the Chinese jade-carved scenes. AT the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, we have a tremendous large ( I'm talking about needing four people, or evaldart, to carry) jade mountain carved with trees, people, buildings, and paths.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Level 9 user

I like this thought as well. I've considered taking wax or clay with me when I'm hiking just to combine my two favorite activities, but wasn't too sure where the sculpting would lead. Please post some of the things you come up with, I'd love to see them.

lisa
Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Level 8 user

If you scroll down on this site, you'll see some nice sculptural seascapes:

http://www.isabelmcilvain.com/thumbnails.htm

... which is a rather unique theme for sculpture.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM
Level 9 user

Thanks Mountshang, those are really beautiful, all the work is.

lisa