Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Level 1 user

Need Serious Help

Hello,

I own a ceramic tusk by a local (and now famous) ceramicist named Paul Tamanian. My piece was recently destroyed by a careless construction worker and the insurance company is insisting that I find some sort of written document that states its replacement value. I have found examples of his work online, even some of his newer tusks, but they are metal (not clay) and so are not accepted as "replacement" material. Since he stopped working in clay around 2001, how would I go about finding the current value of his old work?

I e-mailed some of the galleries that carry his work but the only thing they suggested was doing an insurance appraisal which would cost me $165. I don't feel like I should pay an additional $165 considering I was the one whose piece was destroyed, but I will if I need to. Any advice? Anyone know a place online that has current values for sculptural pieces? I'm getting desperate so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Rich
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Sculptor

Re: Need Serious Help

Rich - Very sorry to hear about that, but accidents do happen and the insurance company must protect its investors' money by this sort of requirement. You might do a sort of statistical assessment of the differences between his ceramic and similar bronze pieces, but that also would be a lot of work.

I hope you get useful information on this, and let us know how it works out. Your experience might help someone else later.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Level 1 user

fritchie,

Thank you for your kind words. I guess I will go with an appraiser to see what my piece *might* have been worth. Unfortunately for me, I cannot find any transactions/listings/auctions/etc. for any of his ceramic work to compare (in value) to the metal work, so I am hoping (I am sure they do the appraiser has resources I am unable to find online!

Thanks again!

Rich
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Sculptor

Good luck! This is a tough one.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:09 AM
Level 10 user

Rich,

Maybe I am stating the obvious, but you could try and contact the artist directly. I would bet he could put you in contact with another owner of a piece that is similar to the one destroyed. It looks like Tamanian is doing well, but I doubt he is so “famous” that he wouldn’t respond to a nice email (especially if you are considering using your insurance claim to replace the piece with a new Tamanian work.) I am surprised that the gallery hasn’t sniffed out a potential replacement sale and been more helpful. You might ask the gallery to forward an email to Paul requesting a studio visit.

On a side note, a buddy of mine bought a Tamanian painting about a year ago. (Nice surface, but way too decorative for my tastes.) I only mention this because I don’t think it was all that expensive (certainly under $1000) – so a replacement work might be a reality.

Good Luck,

CP
Old 04-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Level 5 user

If you have a picture of it just write the artist and ask him how much it would be to make you another one "just like this".
Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Level 10 user

Lucky you to have had a Tamanian "tusk" .....we always intended to trade work, but neither got around to it before I moved away and he stopped throwing clay.....
Echoing a previous suggestion, just Call Paul (no, not the pest control guy....)& ask him the replacement value...he can jot a quick note and that should suffice for your Insurance company. Failing that, Contact Dick Puckett through the LeMoyne Art Center there in Tallahassee. He was the long-time director of the Center and his opinion on the value of local artist's works would be generally accepted by an insurance adjuster.... Or try Sam Fleeger, the just retired Curator at Lemoyne; same reasons.

And if you contact any of these folks, tell them I said hi!

Anthony (Tony) Quickle