Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Figurative Sculpture
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Level 8 user

Che Guevara

Every time/place has its monumental heroes -- and it looks like Che Guevara is becoming one of ours -- at least in the Spanish speaking world.

Here's one that recently made some headlines:

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...s55ax/340x.jpg

... and here's one I found a few years ago:

http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...olano/che1.jpg
http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...olano/che6.jpg
http://www.ilovefiguresculpture.com/...olano/che5.jpg

The first one seems to be just about as clumsy/awkward as a standing figure can be -- very unattractive -- but then -- that's how I prefer to think about the subject.

The second (by Casto Solano) -- with the macho hero "suffering the little children" feels more dynamic -- and kind of sexy from the back -- but -- well -- I' m not especially romantic about Marxism.

But what other young/vigorous heroes --- other than sports figures -- are statue worthy in our time ?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Che Guevara

There are some great writers who have not gotten their credit (sculpturally speaking) for amazing contributions to the world of literature. I would like to see a good Jack London and John Steinbeck sculpture. They were very influential for me as a child. I loved London's stories of the wild and later started reading Steinbeck and loved the early California history within the beautifully crafted story.

Alfred
Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Level 10 user

At this point Che is a cliche, like Lincoln or Washington. Stereotypical representations abound. It would be interesting to see a "portrait" of Che, the man ... not the myth. Every human is much more than what they are noted for.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
Every human is much more than what they are noted for.
Well that's good news for me prolly. Ha!

Seriously, this guy was just a minor demon in the pantheon of Marxist devils, only killed a couple thousand innocent people.. I can see maybe making a pinata of him now and then with razor blade candy, but that's about it. No matter what Marxist sculpture I see anywhere, they all have one common flaw, for all thier false bravado, they can't rewrite history..
Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Level 10 user

I think most universities in America should have a "Tomb of the Unknown Marxist."

It would be a place where the professors could gather on May day or Lenin's birthday or whatever, and sigh, and say, " If only people would listen to us and create the perfect worker's paradise..."

Last edited by GlennT : 06-20-2008 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelled "perfect" imperfectly
Old 06-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
It would be a place where the professors could gather on May day or Lenin's birthday or whatever, and sigh, and say, " If only people would listen to us and create the perfect worker's paradise..."
as though the average soft handed professor has the vaguest notion of exactly what a "workers" paradise would be

If I understood correctly, Che was a pig......by choice