Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Level 1 user

Teachers

My father would like to learn how to carve granite. He lives part of his year on Vinalhaven Island in Maine which, I am sure many of you know, is famous for its granite quarries and carvings.

Does anyone know of any teachers, classes, workshops or any other information that I could use to give him this interesting Christmas present.

Thanks!!!

You can e-mail me at emilynitram@hotmail.com
Old 07-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Level 1 user

Re: Teachers

i am also in the market for aclass or teacher
Old 07-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Level 1 user

sorry my email is mwkremer@telus.net looking for a teacher
Old 07-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Level 6 user

Emily, Matt,

Know of a couple of granite carvers here in Texas, but you probably want something a little closer. This is a long shot, but I would suggest talking to the people at Trow & Holden in Barre VT. (800) 451-4349. As you might know, Barre is one of the formost granite carving centers, and T&H may just know of some programs.
Good luck

John VanCamp / JVC Stoneworks
Old 07-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Level 10 user

These guys are in Montpelier, Vermont. Maybe they can give you some recommendations as well.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Level 10 user

The Carving Studio in West Rutland Vermont is a good place. Most of the work done there is in Danby white marble, however I believe you could get granite. Besides if you are going down the back roads in Barre you will find literally tons of grey granit end pieces. The only thing is I don't think classes extend into the winter, ie. Spring summer fall. Besides its to damn cold up there althogh I have done it. www.carvingstudio.org [/email]
Old 07-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Level 10 user

wow
Man i want to live in Barre. Granite all over the place. What a dream! I carve granite here in calgary alberta and I have to watch construction sights cause there is no granite here . lucky people!!!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Level 10 user

Barre Vermont has some great figurative artist. I once saw a Mercedes memorial carved for a Shiek that literally wanted it for his son who killed himself in that kind of car. He later softened and simply paid for the granite piece and left it there. It was on display at the quarry for many years. I saw a similar thing in Carrara at a stone facillity. I walked in a room and this Italian told me isn't this fantastico, I said what, he pointed to a dusty 57 Chevy hardtop and it was the that I realised he had carved it to the last detail in marble. Great adventures awiat us!