Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Art Lounge and Gallery > Art Lounge
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 AM
Level 10 user

Might be buying a store

A small store came up for sale here pretty cheap, it's 22' x 96' with a basement that size. It's been contemporized on the exterior with a crappy theme of brown T111 type vertical siding, but it has two display windows on either side of the door, and it has it's original tin ceiling, though it's not very fancy of a design.
The facade is quite tall, it almost seems like there could be an upstairs whose windows were covered over by the T111, and there's a stairway I could see through the window, but the listing and the property record on line both say 1 story brick, with a basement, so maybe the stairs go to the roof or a short attic space of some kind.

I figured I could make it into a sculpture gallery/museum and use part of it for classes maybe, I can probably get the building for $16k, I'll look at it Friday with the agent.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Level 7 user

Re: Might be buying a store

Good Luck !, That is kind of exciting, my thoughts are , both buildings one each side ,look pretty old,..and are nice ,designs, with the brick and all, ....the one your buying is nice, but the facade,(brown T111), is lacking, but I pitchure one of your art deco designs, replacing that.. and it would really enhance, the entire block,..looks like a lot of potential,..
hope it works out,
from Garry
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Level 10 user

16k is as good as free. I'd jump on it. It is large enough to accomplish many things at once. What city are you in? This is an amazing deal.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Level 10 user

Sounds like a good deal and you can out-ornament the adjacent buildings to help advertise your work.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 AM
ISC Member

16K sounds like a good deal.

Am sure you will want to peel off T-111 as soon as possible after buying. Before you do, check with the city & county to see if they have a fund for rehabilitating store fronts (sill save you some money). Also, if you have a "Main Street" organization, they might also be able to help.

Make sure that you do a through inspection of the place beforehand. Even in my bush-league town, the building inspector wants to come through & make sure every thing is safe. That includes fire signs, extinguishers, etc.

Am sure you have already thought of these things. When my wife & I opened up our 1st store front, we were surprised what expenses there were to contend with.

Having said that. This is exciting news & a major step away from home studio/selling space. Also raises your professionalism in the eyes of clients. Way to go. Can't wait to see the inside pictures when you get them.

Carl
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Level 10 user

This is a tiny town of 1700 ppl, there's no real "building inspections" here, you want to build onto your house you draw sketch on a piece of paper to the city council and pay the $5 or $10 permit fee and it's done.

For commercial there's probably a little more involved, but it's similar.
The building dates to around 1900 or earlier, and it very well could have some decorative elements, iron maybe under that T111, or possibly nice brickwork.
And yes, I hate that T111 and would certainly like to restore the front to an older more authentic look, and I will be trying to locate some old photos of that spot to see if one might show what it once looked like.
I have several old postcards made around there but not quite positioned right to get a view of this building.

The thing is the front is so tall, even if it doesn't seem so in the picture, that it would take scaffolding to reach up high enough.
I'm hoping there's some interesting facade under that crap yearning to be freed and I'll certainly look into some fund or whatever for restoring, good idea.

I will view it to-morrow afternoon and go from there.

It's a nice open space that seems huge, but the wall I can see in back is probably only 40 feet in, as the building is 96 feet long there's another large space behind the partition wall I can see thru the windows. I might very well start with half of that front space, 500 sq feet and put up some kind of visual barrier like those Japanese screens, a curtain or something and renovate just that 500 sq feet area in front first. The floor looks like it had linoleum squares that were removed, leaving the adhesive behind- likely to be a messy job there, but maybe that 500 Sq ft could be done with the laminated plank flooring.

There are two rows of UGLY hanging 8' fluorescent lamp fixtures hanging from the ceiling, those definitely have to go!
It's mighty hard to look at a blank space like this and come up with a great decorating and color scheme idea, ditto for the facade's T111 if it turns out there's nothing under it of note, or it's been drilled and damaged so badly it's beyond reasonable restoration.
Likely I won't get a lot done this year on it, but we'll see how it goes.

The corner building is very nice, it's brick and white glazed terracotta, it was originally a bank, now theres a flower shop on the ground floor. The other building on the left is owned by a guy who makes custom furniture and cabinets.
This corner is opposite city hall and the city park, and to the left in the corner on the main street is another building for sale, a former jewelry store- 2 stories high, with a basement for $25,000 and it's a nice facade. The seller of that, who is retired, wants to rent a small part to continue to occasionally do jewelry repairs in.

Last edited by Art-Deco : 08-02-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:57 PM
ISC Member

Sounds like an ideal placement in the town. Can't go to City Hall without going by your soon-to-be store.

Carl
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah it's a good location for sure.

I was browsing some pics of old store fronts, and something like this would be real good, and it would blend in extremely well with the adjacent buildings, fo all I know underneath that T111 and the 2 aluminum panels under the display windows there could be something in iron or wood similar to what's under the windows of this old store front but plainer.
I'm sure that single door replaced a double set of wood doors, I could get a pair of salvaged doors like those, though it would require those angled windows be moved to 90 degrees to the others, and constructing a little bit of fill-ins in the corners.

That UGLY single aluminum door has GOT to go!!!

The 4 square pilasters would be easy to replicate something similar in wood, ditto for the two inset panels under the windows and the little cornice on top.

That would look real cool, and as long as the wood is kept painted properly there's no problem, those pilaster in the photo are cast iron but I have seen plenty of similar in softwood.