Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 AM
Level 1 user

Smile Structural engineer offers FREE advice

Hello everybody

My name is Victor Frutos Juarez, and I am a structural engineer working for a consulting engineering company (Buro Happold - BH) in London, England. At the same time, I am taking a part-time Msc about Structural Design at London South Bank University.

I am in the final year of the Msc preparing my dissertation on the subject of Structures and Sculptures. I have a broad definition of sculpture; sculptures are not simply the stuff we see in galleries or parks; bridges are sculptures, not all of them naturally, but some.

I joined BH two years, having previously working for another year and half for a different consultant. During this time I have been involved on projects in Madrid, St. Petersburg, Vladikavkaz; and Copenhagen.

All the above projects present a common characteristic: complex geometry and interface with other disciplines; consequently I am developing an important technical knowledge tackling challenges and I posses a good knowledge about material and their properties.

As part of my dissertation I am looking for free collaboration supporting technically the students (or even yourslelf). It would be a pleasure and enjoyable experience. I reckon both could be beneficiated.
I am looking for an active collaboration and I am open to suggestions.
I have access to structural software which I can use was to analyse the sculptures-structures, connections, etc helping the artists/students with solutions to the challenges they face from the technical point of view.

I am looking from hearing from you.

Do no hesitate to contact me if you require further information (frutosv2@lsbu.ac.uk)

Regards,

Victor Frutos-Juarez
Old 05-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Structural engineer offers FREE advice

so, for instance, if I had a drawing of a sculpture I wanted to make large and hollow, you could suggest the optimal support or armature design?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFJ View Post
I am in the final year of the Msc preparing my dissertation on the subject of Structures and Sculptures. I have a broad definition of sculpture; sculptures are not simply the stuff we see in galleries or parks; bridges are sculptures, not all of them naturally, but some.
This is a curious notion especially from an academic. Some might argue that the history, criticism and theory pertaining to art - sculpture specifically - does not support a "broad" (and perhaps personal) definition of sculpture that easily include bridges. Are you interested in discussing the just the sculptural qualities of architecture? Engineering as art? Does this connection between structure and sculpture transcend the shared processes of object making? I am sure you can't summarize your entire dissertation here - but I would love hear a bit more of your core thesis.

Are you familiar with Chris Burden's bridges? The structural manipulations of Gordon Matta Clarke? The writings of Rosalind Krauss?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Level 10 user

Also, for the artistic nature of bridges, there are two excellent books by Frank Brangywn, The Bridge and A Book of Bridges. These books lavishly illustrated by the authors watercolors and drawings, deal with the poetic charm of mostly pre-20th century bridges.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFJ View Post
As part of my dissertation I am looking for free collaboration supporting technically the students (or even yourslelf). It would be a pleasure and enjoyable experience. I reckon both could be beneficiated.
I am looking for an active collaboration and I am open to suggestions.
Hi Victor
that's quite an offer mate,
at the moment I'm wrestling with some structural issues on a largish public sculpture proposal (seems I have the job if council engineers give the ok)
The sculpt is on the facade of a building in Sydney cbd.
The piece is 7mtrs high and 4mtrs wide and will be constructed in a combination of polished,brushed and powdercoated aluminium.
The central (curved, organic?) components will be in polished riveted panels,
I can think of a couple of ways of achieving this ( forming over fiberglass, or alloy frame) but not certain which would be best,
Is this within your area of expertise?
any feedback from any forum members would also be greatly appreciated.
(the last pic gives some idea of scale)
cheers john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chip  maquette 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	564
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	10883  Click image for larger version

Name:	chip  maquette 008 (Small).jpg
Views:	592
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	10884  Click image for larger version

Name:	chip  maquette 011 (Small).jpg
Views:	612
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	10885  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Level 10 user

underfoot, I like the sketch better than the model. The complexity of the mechanism design elements lost some of its intrique when the forms were simplified. Also, the three curved elements with the hole penetrations look like an industrial fabrication as compared to the rest which is more artistic. If the juxtaposition of two contrasting styles is your intention there, I think it does not work so successfully in this case as when you have used completely different materials like your wood and metal sculptures. At this large scale, I think that a consistent aesthetic would work better. The design idea of those elements is good, I'm just suggesting that they have a more organic/unmachined look.

Be all that as it may, it is a vast improvement to add a sculpture like this to the context of a concrete parking ramp. You are fortunate to have found some forward thinking clients.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
underfoot, I like the sketch better than the model.
Agreed Glenn, the sketch was my first proposal which was looked upon with some suspicion by the residents,
also, the budget was getting a bit stretched with the first design,(material costs etc)
however, if I get the gig, the finished piece will be something in between the drawing and the maquette.
btw, the sculpt required some historical context, originally there was a church on this site (hence the gothic frame) it backs onto Sydneys central station, (Victorian era) therefore the curved perforated buttresses and the area used to be full of foundries and pattern shops for the railway yards, hence the steampunkish machine parts.
It's all about compromise on these jobs unfortunately but I intend to tweak this one to my own evil ends .....mwahh...haa...haaa.
and install under the cover of darkness
Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Level 10 user

dear Victor, this would be an interesting collaboration if lucky enough to find a work of scale about to be made that challenged the laws of possible. i have always been interested in the awkward edges of possible.
last year i submitted a proposal for a wind sculpture, it failed to fully spark that projects imagination but i do continue to put it about in the hope that someone will take it up, theres another problem, i dont know if it would work.
the type of bearings needed and thickness of stainless steel [the thicker the better] to allow it to turn in a moderate wind and reconfigure each level which is independant like a barrel combination lock. [ sub plot invisaged as a bicycle stand...] i am curious about your thoughts on the matter. its called 'traveller' pictured. Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	travellerE.jpg.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	10920