Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Level 1 user

help with sculpture school.

I am looking to study sculpture in california. I am going to visit Berkeley and several other schools. I am in need of ideas about sculpture school. I love working in clay. any ideas?
Old 10-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Level 10 user

Re: help with sculpture school.

Visit some facilities, let that guide your decision. And don't base your decision on what you're interested in now...that could and probably will change once you have access to a wide range of tools, equipment and processes. Any of the major Cal universities will have pretty good facilities. Check them out.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:53 AM
Level 10 user

It would help to know what type of sculpture you'd like to study. Different schools have different curicullums and some more suited to your needs. I'll talk about the one I know. The Laguna College of Art and Design in Laguna Beach, Ca.. That's my Alma Matter, I graduated about 10 years ago. I learned almost everything I know about sculpture from my proffesor (and good friend) Raymond Persinger. The school is small, but they have a small foundry and (in my opinion) the best figurative sculpture curicullum on the west coast. Sadly however, sculpture is only a minor there. It has never become a major. I've tried many times, talking to different presidents of the school, to make the sculpture department into a major, but I have not been succesful. However, if your just interested in getting a great education in sculpture, and being around a very creative environment, I would highly suggest that school. It is strickly figurative in the Fine Art Major (no abstract works). They also have Design, Video Game, Illustration, and Animation Majors.

Good Luck finding a school.

Alfred
Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Level 2 user

Hi,
check out the living artists that do work that is like what you would like to see happening with your art in 5 years - see which schools they attended to come up with a list you can trim down by doing in depth research...

just a thought since I'm wondering about the same things myself..

good luck!
~~~J
Old 10-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Level 1 user

Raymond Persinger is now teaching at Golden West College in Huntington Beach, CA. He is not currently at LCAD (Laguna College of art and Design).
Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tina1423 View Post
I am looking to study sculpture in california. I am going to visit Berkeley and several other schools. I am in need of ideas about sculpture school. I love working in clay. any ideas?
Aside from signing up to study at an expensive art school, there are other ways to learn about sculpture. It's hard to justify loading yourself up with a lot of debt to qualify for jobs that don't exist, or a profession that won't make you any money, at least in the short term.

Identify the sort of sculpture that excites you, find out who's making it, and see if you can persuade that artist to give you some lessons. It's bound to be more cost-effective than paying for the administrative overhead of a college as well as the teacher.

Of course, there are still community colleges in California with ceramics and sculpture departments, which aren't nearly as costly as the 4-year art schools. In the Bay area, you might check out Contra Costa College in Richmond, and Laney in Oakland, among others.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 11-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Werby View Post

Of course, there are still community colleges in California with ceramics and sculpture departments, which aren't nearly as costly as the 4-year art schools. In the Bay area, you might check out Contra Costa College in Richmond, and Laney in Oakland, among others.
True! there's plenty of community colleges that also offer classes as non-credit community classes, unless you think you need a DEGREE in fine art to obtain some special job, then you don't need to pay a huge amount of tuition for a 4 year college to get a degree you don't need.

A local college here has a sculpture dept and professor, I was given a small scholarship even though I attended as non-credit community classes, the cost was very reasonable and gave me access to the facilities and the professor, I could have continued each semester it was offered if I wanted but at the time I was not a beginner and only needed some pointers. Another problem was the sculpture classes were held only during the winter and during the middle of the afternoon on a workday, and the college was a 45 minute drive each way which made it very difficult when one has to work during the day even with a flex-schedule.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 PM
Level 1 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by SculptNow View Post
Raymond Persinger is now teaching at Golden West College in Huntington Beach, CA. He is not currently at LCAD (Laguna College of art and Design).
Raymond Persinger is teaching at Mt SAC and at OCC. Google his name, you will want to study with him.