Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2016, 08:58 PM
Level 4 user

Event insurance?

I applied, and was accepted to, Nudenite.com. Looks like it'll be a fun show.

However, they say that while the show will be monitored they aren't responsible for theft or damage of the pieces. We can get insurance if we want.

I've tried to find insurance from local insurance companies. None of them were interested. I found one event insurance company that looks like they'll handle it but I know nothing about them.

Have any of you ever gotten insurance for your pieces? Heard stories good or bad? I'm not sure what to do...
Old 01-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Event insurance?

Do you really want to give your work to people who refuse to take responsibility for it?

You can pay an insurance company based on any amount you value your art at, but they will only pay you the amount they value it at - if they think it's worth anything at all.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:28 AM
ISC Member

Re: Event insurance?

"I've tried to find insurance from local insurance companies. None of them were interested. I found one event insurance company that looks like they'll handle it but I know nothing about them.

Have any of you ever gotten insurance for your pieces? Heard stories good or bad? I'm not sure what to do..."

A lot of shows & sculpture exhibitions are going to throw the insurance requirements on the exhibitors when it could be a simple extension of a city/county insurance policy. This could be a way on the art agency to only have larger, more settled/secure artists participate.

If you would like to see what kind of insurance you can get, you might want to check out these people below. They specialize in event insurance for artists.:

Larry Allred
Broker
O: 866-395-1308
D: 801-216-8276
F: 801-763-1374
Veracity Insurance Solutions LLC is a licensed P&C, Life & Health, and Surplus Lines Broker in all 50 states. For more detailed information about Veracity Insurance Solutions LLC, please refer to the following link: http://veracityinsurance.com

Bernard Fleischer & Sons
William Fleischer, President
29 Broadway, Suite 1511
New York NY 10006
212 566-1881 ext. 111
www.ArtInsuranceNow.com

Meghan Shriver | Program Manager
Arts Insurance Program | MDP Programs
Maury Donnelly & Parr, Inc. | 33 S. Gay Street, Baltimore, MD 21202
Direct: 410.547-3183 Fax: 410.685.3071 | mshriver@mdpins.com | www.mdpins.com

Seth A Zaremba
Zinc & The Dennis Agency
3505 E Royalton Rd #110
Broadview Heights, Ohio 44147
O#440-526-2661
C#216-269-2595
F#440-546-1344
www.zincinsurance.com

There are others to choose from rather than just these folks.

If going to shows is a thing you are more interested in, you might want to carry regular business insurance through a local broker all year around. Most insurance people are very ignorant of the needs of artists & charge up the wazoo for their ignorance of your business. It will take some digging and a lot of time to find someone who is knowledgeable and is not trying to buffalo you. Usually larger metropolitan areas have less stupid brokers - you might want to check there.

A lot of the time you will be directed to Inland Marine Insurance because it is the only thing they offer. That is the offer of last resort. Inland Marine while good is rather expensive.

A lot of the time you can get Contractors Insurance which would be just as good and cheaper. Contractors do similar work to you. They have a home shop they work in, and their work is on the clients property but needs insurance since the client has not paid for the merchandise yet. This might be an option if your insurance people can make this work to your satisfaction.