Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2015, 06:55 AM
Level 3 user

New Plaster to Old

Hi,

I have a question regarding modeling new plaster to plaster that has cured. Even when I saturate the old plaster with water, the new plaster forms a very hard layer, often with a gray skin...this makes it very difficult to shape. Does anyone know of an additive or technique to help with this?

Thank you,
Old 07-17-2015, 04:57 PM
Level 5 user

Re: New Plaster to Old

The underlying issue is that cured plaster, even when wet is very effective at absorbing water so it will suck the water out of any fresh plaster you put on top.

I'm not a plaster expert by any means but when I was working on a large modeled plaster form was to use a mix of alpha plaster mixed with 1/3 to 1/2 of gypsum based coving adhesive. Which was ok but you do still get some variation in hardness between layers.

I found that the best technique was to build the form from the inside out so that you can do the final layer in one go and maybe do a rough finishing before you skin it with the top coat that way you aren't cutting through different layers. Alternatively get the shape you want using whatever works and then cut it back a few mm with something quite aggressive and paint a final layer on top with a brush before final finshing.

This is the piece :

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 AM
Level 3 user

Thanks for the tip, I will try that. When the plaster is bone dry I have used drywall compound for imperfections, which works great. It is soft, though, but these plasters are for molds and not the finished piece.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:50 PM
Level 3 user

I found a solution. Make a 50,50 mix of plaster and slaked lime. Saturate the original surface, then you can brush on the new mix for small fixes or let it thicken for modeling. There are many techniques...if you need to blend or model spray water on top of the mix so it does not drag.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:54 PM
Level 10 user

One thing you can do is add extra water to the new plaster you're applying. That makes it softer, and offsets the tendency of the underlying plaster to suck away the water it needs to set.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 03-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Level 10 user

Smile Re: New Plaster to Old

Here is a simple solution .
Give the old plaster a coat of white or amber shellac. When the shellac is thoroughly dried, you can apply a new layer of fresh plaster which will not penetrate the shellac.
I have used this method numbers of times and it was always successful.
Lou