Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Level 2 user

mixing chavant castilene with chavant NSP

Hello! Its been a while since I've been here and I apologize but I'm back with a few questions for the masters. Can I successfully mix Chavant castilene with Chavant NSP?

I've started a piece with my old stand by castilene but am in bit of a financial pinch and need to switch to the much less expensive NSP. Here in Thailand its half as much as the castilene. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Cliff
Old 06-07-2015, 09:11 AM
Level 10 user

Re: mixing chavant castilene with chavant NSP

dont see why not, its only clay and oil.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Level 2 user

Thanks so much for the reply and I agree with you but I've been told not to mix them by the lady I get my clay from but wasn't really given a reason why.. There is a language barrier but I know enough Thai to order what I need. I was hoping someone here would know for sure. Cheers
Old 06-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Level 10 user

It's not just clay and oil. Castilene is formulated to burn out cleanly, which clay won't do, so they have to be using something else as aggregate; perhaps some kind of wood dust. That said, they could mix well together (as long as you weren't planning to cast it directly) but I'd advise doing a test batch to see how you like the result before committing to a whole lot of it.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 06-14-2015, 09:07 PM
Level 10 user

Call Chavant.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Level 2 user

Thanks for the replies! Andrew, don't even know what you mean by "burn out cleanly" and I am planning on casting or making a mold of the piece once its done so I probably shouldn't mix them eh?

Mack, I live in Thailand and calling Chavant is more of a problem than its worth, I've tried and dealing with phone cards and wait times is quite troublesome hence why I came here. If I was in the states, I'd have already done this.

Thanks so much again for the help!

Cheers
Old 06-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Level 10 user

Burning out cleanly means that it can be used like wax in lost wax casting. The part you model in Castilene can be enclosed in a ceramic shell or plaster-based mold, fired in a kiln until the model is gone, and then the resulting void is filled with molten metal. You can't do that with regular modeling clay (like NSP), because the clay in it won't combust; it just sits there. But you can pull a rubber mold from it, cast wax in that, and burn the wax out.

You can contact Chavant by email through their site here: http://chavant.com/castilene/index.html

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com