Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Level 7 user

Close the bottom of a sculpture?

When I started to do somewhat large bronzes the foundry closed the bottom and drilled 3 threaded holes to attach the sculpture to a base.

Now I am considering going to another foundry because it is closer but they do not close the bottom, instead they weld - as I understand it - two metal circles through which one may put "something" to attach the sculpture to a base. This foundry also charges more for this set up. The foundry says they always leave the bottom open.

I feel that an open base is an inferior product. Am I right or is it standard practice (or good practice forgotten)?

Would really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Close the bottom of a sculpture?

I don't see this as inferior to a closed base but I dont know why it would be more expensive.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Level 7 user

The second foundry says that putting a piece of metal in the bottom and fitting it takes time - hence money.

The price of the nearer foundry for the sculpture without the base is already about 10% more than my old foundry.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Level 10 user

An open base is not an inferior product. Its made in the same way to the same standards.
The base isnt seen, so closing it is just wasted time and in your case money for nothing.
The only reason you would need to weld a piece on to close the base is if it is a small sculpture that will be picked up and handled as part of its appeal.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Level 10 user

I agree; you wouldn't bother to weld a bottom onto a sculpture that's supposed to be permanently mounted to a base. It would just make it harder to grind flat. But you do need some way to hold it down. If I haven't added tabs on the inside of the wax before casting, then I usually weld a bar across the bottom, a little higher than the edge. The bar has some holes in it for the screws that secure the piece to the base; they can be threaded or not.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Level 7 user

Thank you very much for your comments.

Hmm, once piece of info I should have specified is that I never mount my sculpture on anything, they stand on their own. So in this case I think it looks really cheap to have an open base.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 AM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazie View Post
When I started to do somewhat large bronzes the foundry closed the bottom and drilled 3 threaded holes to attach the sculpture to a base.

Now I am considering going to another foundry because it is closer but they do not close the bottom, instead they weld - as I understand it - two metal circles through which one may put "something" to attach the sculpture to a base. This foundry also charges more for this set up. The foundry says they always leave the bottom open.

I feel that an open base is an inferior product. Am I right or is it standard practice (or good practice forgotten)?

Would really appreciate your opinion.

Thanks.
Zazie, a closed bottom is not necessary for monumental sculptures.
Some foundry will weld a cross underneath the sculpture for mounting purpose.