Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Level 8 user

Re: Flatties....sort of.

Doodle on the wall.

It seems apparent that North American native peoples took plenty of "hand-work" along on their excursions to find buffalo.
For example, massive flint chip piles on or near some hill tops. 3D, given the circumstance, 2D at home, given that circumstance.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Level 10 user

A new semi-flatty. Steel,. chain, fasteners, pored aluminum. 27 x 28"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spiral3.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	13573  
Old 06-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Level 10 user

This is "X", 35 x 35, mixed metals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x3.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	13594  
Old 06-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Level 10 user

The evolvement of these is great to witness as they get more explorative, bold, confident. This last one would deserve a larger pic, it's so tiny; a lot of the detail gets lost.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Level 10 user

I'd like them bigger too...but you gotta stay under 80 kb here.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:56 PM
Level 1 user

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to add my $.02 about whether relief is less sculptural than sculpture in the round. Coming from a traditional viewpoint, I think it's a ridiculous statement. I would say, yes, that doing abstract pieces might be less interesting in relief because you have less space to work within, but figurative relief is just as rich a subject area as sculpture in the round. It's not easy to learn to juxtapose planes so that they read well and it's not as simple as flattening everything out. A painter would not be able to jump right in and do a relief unless he/she had some latent sculptural talent because it is not at all like painting. Certain types of foreshortening are next to impossible to pull off. The constraints of positioning and the "frame" just mean it requires more creativity to solve these types of problems; relief is in no way a lesser art form. Here is one of my pieces, just for fun. This is all below the surface of the background, which is not usually how I work and the first time I had done this type. Different lighting changes the effect, which I find interesting and challenging as well because I like to have it look nice in as many lighting situations as possible.

Last edited by Lastrid : 05-04-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Level 10 user

That is a beautiful and well executed bas-relief, Lastrid. And you are correct to point out how difficult it is to do well.
Here is one I did a few years ago. (I tried unsuccessfully to reduce my file size so instead this is a website link)

http://www.glennterryart.com/?q=node/95
Old 05-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Level 10 user

It's a georgeous piece Lastrid, very quiet and consistent throughout. I was reminded of Frank Gallo's cast paper pieces which I used to sell when I was in the business. Yours I think would make a beautiful cast paper piece. Thanks for putting yours up Glenn, I tried my hand at it once but gave up quickly realising I didn't have a clue as to what I was doing. I agree it's a whole different animal.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:09 AM
ISC Member

Lastrid, a beautifully sumptuous piece. Believe you are right about abstract in bas-relief - it would look like a unrecognizable jumble of lines. What makes abstract tick is the volume of space that it occupies.

It is humbling to see what you have done with a "simple" (what an understatement) line - you have brought beauty to life.

Carl
Old 05-07-2014, 05:07 PM
ISC Member

I think a wonderful piece. The incised [Egyptian] look does very well. It seems much closer to drawing than, say, Glenn's piece of more traditional bas relief; certainly in the photo the torso could be drawing. The ambiguity adds to it.
I disagree with Tono. as top abstract bas relief. Just look in this thread at pieces by Evaldart and Rika. They are what they are--not trying to semi-flatten a known 3d subject.