Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Construction techniques and processes
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Level 5 user

patinating bronze resin for exterior

I've got a sculpture underway which is going to have 4 birds in bronze resin sitting in a tree and was wondering what would be the best and most durable way to patinate it once it's de moulded?

I have used bronze resin before but only for interior work and often end up having to paint the seams with something and to darken it with iron paste.

I don't think any of this would stand up to the great outdoors for any great length of time so was wondering what my alternatives were?

-Is it best to initially fill the cast with a higher percentage of bronze powder to create a more metallic base?

- would a dark black or brown pigment in the initial gelcoat help with the colour afterwards?

- can hot patination chemicals be used or would they require the cast to be too hot and it would then crack and burn?

I know there are ways to cold patina bronze resins with cupric and liver but they never work for me?

any types of wax that will stand up to it for a few years? BRI-wax?

any way i can leave the cast just wire wooled if i get the initial colour dark enough?

what about haematite?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Level 10 user

Re: patinating bronze resin for exterior

First I would decide what colour its to be then look for a suitable treatment. I havnt done resin and bronze powder but I understand it patinates similar to hot cast bronze.
Liver should work, did you rub the resin back to expose the bronze particles?
Was the liver fresh?
Try using hot water with the liver for a quicker reaction.

There is things like this you can try

Antiquing Fluid: Black

Scopas Cupra

or these may work

Verdigris Wax

Black Patinating Wax
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Level 5 user

Hi mantrid,

thanks for the reply

yes i did rub back the surface to expose the metal particles but i didn't use hot water for the liver but it was fresh. I've got both antiquing fluid and cupra to play with as well as full strength copper nitrate.

Ideally i'd like them to go the delicious red brown i get with foundry bronze but that is a two step process and can be tempermental even on pure metal.

I'm experimenting with adding some copper powder into the bronze mix to see if this boosts the patinating possibilities and the depth of colour. Also trying a small amount of pigment in the first layer to see if it will darken

any further input much appreciated!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Level 7 user

First, you are going to want to use COLD patinas for the cold cast bronze. Liver should have worked. Sometimes if you don't have enough metal powder in the resin, it's harder to get a chemical reaction. You could try a fine Bronze Wool (like 0000 steel wool, but out of bronze) to rub the wet pantina into the surface, this should expose the metal in the resin enough to react.

There is another product out that might be usefull. It's Sculpt Nouveau's Brown Patina Stain, a laquere called Permalac and a brown solvent dye. You can layer it to give a darker appearance to the piece, then you can seal the whole thing with the clear Permalac. It's a color that sits on top, not a true chemical reacting patina.

No matter what wax you use, if you choose that route, you will have to maintain it, reapply at least once if not twice a year. Even laqueres will need to be maintained, just not as often as wax.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Level 5 user

That sculpt noveau stains sounds fab! do you know if it is available in the UK?

is this the stuff you mean? VV

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details...=44&category=6

That looks great and a lovely deep colour too, but how does it work on resin where the metal content is considerably lower?

I am prepared to maintain though every 2 years or more would be desirable.

Seem to be getting good results with the copper addition to the mix, but have not tried patina yet.

thank you so much for the replies
Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Level 7 user

Sorry, i don't get on the site much. I'm not sure if they have anyone in the UK and yes that is the material i was talking about. Please let us know how these turn out.
~NEW
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Level 2 user

Hi,
I have tried cold cast bronze and it is a very expensive way to go for a bronze look in polyester resin on large works. I second the recommendation to use Ron Young's product from Sculpt Nouveau. I use his Bronze B with Tiffany Patina for large in door and out door works. I apply it to polyester resin or cement for a very convincing bronze appearance which with stands the weather over many years of exposure. I use his Bronze C with Tiffany Patina for pieces that I submit in competitions and Galleries. SCULPT NOUVEAU (patinas and metal finishes) 1-800-728-5787 or sculptnouveau.com
Look him up on You Tube!
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 PM
Level 5 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern terry View Post
Hi,
I have tried cold cast bronze and it is a very expensive way to go for a bronze look in polyester resin on large works. I second the recommendation to use Ron Young's product from Sculpt Nouveau. I use his Bronze B with Tiffany Patina for large in door and out door works. I apply it to polyester resin or cement for a very convincing bronze appearance which with stands the weather over many years of exposure. I use his Bronze C with Tiffany Patina for pieces that I submit in competitions and Galleries. SCULPT NOUVEAU (patinas and metal finishes) 1-800-728-5787 or sculptnouveau.com
Look him up on You Tube!
Hi there, thanks for the reply and vote for the patina stain, I think I will use this. I have decided to use the bronze resin for only some elements of the piece because, as you say, it is expensive. I have cast these already with a black pigment added to darken it.

There is also 'liquid metal' which is a paint that is highly metallic in appearance that I use on indoor resins with great effect. it does say it is suitable for outdoors but I have not tried this yet.

Any further advice most welcome!
Old 11-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Level 5 user

It was a long time ago and i have just refound this thread I posted ages back! the sculpture was completed in bronze resin for some elements, I used a mixture of copper powder, bronze powder and some black pigment. this was then buffed back, seams were sealed with chemical metal or car filler mixed with oil paint and further powder then the whole piece was sealed with a water sealer, followed by two layers of patina stain in brown and two layers of clear guard (also sculpt noveau) this stuff is ace! 5 years or more on and the sculpture is still standing strong, despite wind, snow, ice, spiders and sun. I give it a re coat of clear guard about once a year and it looks like new.

I have noticed the clear guard doesn't like to be painted on resin that has been rained on, so i try and do it on a dry day when the sculpt is bone dry.

Just thought y'all might like an update, it is annoying when someone posts an interesting problem and never posts an update.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:24 PM
Level 10 user

Thanks for getting back to us on that. Were all the materials you mention from Sculpt Nouveau, or someplace else? Is it still the same brown color it started out as, or has it changed with time?
Old 11-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Level 10 user

Yes. Most posters resolve their problems and never report back. Thanks for the update.

Richard