Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Level 1 user

Detroit Artists

Hey I am moving to Detroit in the next week, and I keep hearing about how the city is giving away space to artists. I've done a little research, but i wondered if anyone on here knew much about this topic.

Also, I'm wondering if there is any sort of Arts Alliance or Arts Council in Detroit?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 PM
ISC Member

Re: Detroit Artists

No matter what you do, it's still Detroit.
You will never see me there, it's a dead city.
Jeff
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 AM
ISC Member

Carrie, only city I knew of helping artists was Pacucah, Kentucky. Contact Detroit's mayor directly to see what is available. He will know the terms of what is offered.

Detroit will be in for "interesting times" for the next few years. It has been plagued recently with metal thieves stripping houses of pipes & electrical wire to sell as scrap (even when the houses are occupied). So don't consider doing any metal sculpture there - it might disappear overnight.

If it were me & wanted a place, would wait until the poplation exodus stopped & began to turn around. Then think about going there.

Carl
Old 04-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Level 10 user

there is a thriving arts community, and some grant opportunities for highly motivted & community oriented individuals. Emphasis on community. Some industrial buildings are being adopted by the arts community, as well as a couple neighborhoods. It is rugged, but folks are trying.
This is a good a place to start .: http://artxdetroit.com/press/quis-no...xercitationem/
http://www.culturalalliancesemi.org/cms/
Old 04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Level 10 user

It IS within in us to choose where we would like to attempt our prosperity. I'd think twice about going someplace just because it was cheap or because there was a claim, a rumor or an advertising of a "burgeoning art community" (EVERY city says this).

An artist can create and improve anywhere...with or without support. But one's region will greatly impact an artists ability to "career" - you might find yourself traveling great distances for significant opportunities - the kind that pay bills. I know, I hate to bother with such thought also...but we DO occasionally have to leave the studio and participate. Think it through.

If I was in this stage of my art life right now I'd go to Brooklyn...the east vicinities. Theres fruit and plenty there if you've got the nerve to take it on. But the best fruit is the one that comes from making the work and continued creative improvement...and again, THAT can happen ANYWHERE - if you go hard at it.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Level 10 user

another link.
http://ricdetroit.org/2010/?id=home
nobody said it would be a cakewalk, and you indicated you were already committed, so I won't second-guess your decision, but try to assist. And I am in Metro Detroit.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
No matter what you do, it's still Detroit.
You will never see me there, it's a dead city.
Jeff
Ehh, as much as I dig New Mexico, there are lots of places in that state you can call easily 'dead'.

If you're making the move either way, Carrie, blaze a trail, and best of luck to you!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM
ISC Member

Ha, ha!
Hey Obseq, you are quite right.
I live in what is supposed to be one of the "100 best small art towns in America" but it really wouldn't take much to get me to move.
Showed in Santa Fe for a few years but the gallery went out of business.
I just don't know where I'd go but it certainly wouldn't be Detroit or any other rust belt city. I might consider Chicago but at 64, I don't want winter.
Chattanooga had a program also, not as generous as Padukah but a nicer city and warmer.
I'd go back to NYC in a heartbeat but I can't afford it and at my age and dragon slaying isn't a hobby I want to pursue again.
A place like Detroit will swallow you up and destroy you.
If you want to be "community oriented" then you're not an artist!
Jeff
Old 04-03-2011, 02:03 AM

Howdy, Jeff,

I spend a good chunk of time in NM and think it's a shame what's happening over there...
So much potential, but the "solutions" are basically gentrification projects under the guise of "progress".

Could you swing splitting time between Silver City and Chicago?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Level 10 user

things are hopping this week in Detroit.
http://www.freep.com/article/2011040...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Checked out your website, Carrie. Great stuff. I'd suggest you also check out the Design Center in Troy.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Level 10 user

I imagine that a variation of a "Robocop" could definitely be a significant piece of sculpture. The theme lends itself to some meaty figurative/cyborg rendering. But Detroits variation is a bit light in the pants. No good at all in my view. http://www.freep.com/section/VideoNe...tvideo|article

I will address this one day...what a place to begin. Great movie too.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Level 10 user

all started here.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tue-of-robocop
I love the little trash can guy that appeared.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 PM
ISC Member

Hey Obseq,
I'm in Silly (Silver) City, If you're down this way, even if you're not, give me a jingle and we'll go out for a couple of beers or if you don't drink, we'll get a Jack and coke, I'll drink the Jack, you can drink the coke.
575-313-6536
do you go to Las Cruces?
Check out Preston contemporary Gallery in Mesilla, 12,000 sq. ft. high ceilings, sculpture courtyard. I'll be showing there in May. Opening, Friday May 13th.
Jeff
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 AM

I was just in Las Cruces to see some friends after spending a few weeks in Tucumcari and Albuquerque...!
Next time I'm down that way, I'll definitely get in touch. Beer and Jack and Coke are all fine by me!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
If you want to be "community oriented" then you're not an artist!
Jeff
I've always had my suspicions, but its a BIG call Jeff and probably deserves its own thread..
I'll happily get down and dirty for community projects...but having "the community" involved in my art makes me shiver..
Then again..I don't mind designing stuff for the "community" to build
On the other hand..I've seen some great artist/community group collaborations..
ahh..I don't know
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
ISC Member

You either want to make art or you don't.
I've been involved in community projects over the years but that's a thing of the past.
I'm 64, energy must be parceled out according to goals and at this point, all the goals are mine, no one else's.
Jeff
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
You either want to make art or you don't.
I've been involved in community projects over the years but that's a thing of the past.
I'm 64, energy must be parceled out according to goals and at this point, all the goals are mine, no one else's.
Jeff
So what you're saying is that if you only have energy for one thing, you should make it the thing that sustains you. If you have energy to spare, you can be involved in the community AND still engage in all the personal art you want. In fact, sometimes the diversion of not thinking about yourself for a while allows you to return to your own art with renewed appreciation and energy.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
ISC Member

I'm a big boy Grommet and I certainly understand the renewal process but I can pick and choose what and where my diversions are and at this time they're just not community projects and probably never will be again.
There are only so many hours in a day and you only have so much energy to expend, that being the case, I'm selfish and I invest my time and my energy doing my work.

In my experience, community projects seem to be the domain of dilettantes and hobbyists who have neither the drive, ambition, talent or creativity to pursue artistic goals of their own.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I'm a big boy Grommet and I certainly understand the renewal process but I can pick and choose what and where my diversions are and at this time they're just not community projects and probably never will be again.
There are only so many hours in a day and you only have so much energy to expend, that being the case, I'm selfish and I invest my time and my energy doing my work.

In my experience, community projects seem to be the domain of dilettantes and hobbyists who have neither the drive, ambition, talent or creativity to pursue artistic goals of their own.
I wasn't talking about you, i was noting your comment about energy. The rest is your opinion, which you're entitled to. I'm sorry your experiences in the community weren't favorable.

Last edited by grommet : 04-05-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: (sigh...)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:02 PM

So, Carrie....
What's your plan for Detroit? We haven't heard anything from you since you started the thread.

Like grommet said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
It is rugged, but folks are trying.