Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Level 10 user

Arthur Putnam (1873-1930)

I just got back from California. At the de Young Museum I saw, from a distance, a cat like sculpture...another cat sculpture I thought to myself..then as I approached it I was amazed and entranced..look at how the sculptor exaggerated and distorted the front legs and shoulders to get that feeling of tension and power. The head has a skull like appearance...the overall composition has a furtive and visceral feeling. a Rodin like impression. Just a perfect work of art. I expected to find a completion date like 2007 or something. It was by Arthur Putman, completed in 1911. He had a brain tumor that year and it and that ended his career at 37. He died 20 years later.

Rodin is credited as saying he was, “the world’s greatest animal sculptor”. To be called such by Rodin is significant enough, but Rodin was himself a pupil of Antoine Bayre (1796 – 1875), widely regarded as the greatest animal sculptor of all time and father of the Animilier School.

"Puma on Guard" (ca. 1899-1911)
by Arthur Putnam (1873-1930)

http://www.jacklondontablet.com/biography.htm

http://www.aliceklauber.museumartist...%20Putnam2.htm

G
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat 1.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	12604  Click image for larger version

Name:	cat 2.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	12605  
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Arthur Putnam (1873-1930)

Great animal sculptor! Haven't seen his work in years. And knew nothing about his interesting life. Thanks for the links.
I was also at the de Young 3 weeks ago for the Pre-Impressionist Show there but missed spotting the Putnam.

Last edited by Mack : 08-10-2010 at 09:31 PM.