Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 11:55 AM
Level 10 user

Re: International Sculpture Center

sounds like a real cool idea. how far from canada are you cheese? assuming it would be held near you. i guess you would have to give up your anonymity i would love to go australia could you imagine that. i have always wanted to go there. but alas dont think i could afford that. i am just a sculptor after all
Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Level 10 user

This shouldnt be just yet another open call for exhibition. The thing that makes this idea unique is the history of dialogue between members, however infrequent or prolific. The "glue" of the show is the unlikely experienced physical togetherness of participating artists with their work; blather-bags and their artifacts. Lurkers will know us but we wont know them. They should make themselves available intellectually before their work would nourish THIS brand of art experience.

Theres a million plain ol shows out there that administer by jury and supposed "quality". This neednt be another.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Level 10 user

Okay, WE jury. I want to see one of Cheese's birdhouses in person. And Evaldart, if you Could bring Medusa or something more Evaldartian than art fairian that would be pretty cool.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
It would be best if such an exhibit was achieved at the greatest expense of every participant...ones most significant works put with others' same to ensure the quality and quantity of the ensuing pontifications. And no ants allowed. Sorry, this is not "business" - this is about something far more important...physio-intellectual advancement. The dust will settle afterwards, the vehicles will survive, the bank-accounts will recuperate and we here will have taken our blather to new heights - and be BETTER, every one of us, for it.

I say we do it in Australia. I'll crate-up a thousand-pounder and send it right over...Underfoot, can we borrow your school's gymnasium for a week?

No ants.
Ok since you threw that out there. If we really want to make a "WTF" Tidal wave. How about we get a barge. Have a giant party, then Load all the pieces on it and send it out with the outgoing tides. We can mount a sattelite camera on it and a gps to track it. A complete "Surfing" meld. How's NYC Harbor for a venue?

For the right show i'm willing to make a piece (hopefully my best) and send it out never to return.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Level 10 user

It would be fun to try and lock down a venue - if only for a night or two - during the ISC 50th party in NYC (october)

Crazy - but I'll look into it.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM
ISC Member

Having organized many shows, I was scared and worried about this one in the beginning, but it is starting to sound like a lot of fun. I can see that every one has the "correct" attitude for this and every one thus far seems to have a handle on expectations.

I like the direction that this thing is taking :-) -

Love those little rascals - had me LOL.

Ari.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I say we do it in Australia. ...Underfoot, can we borrow your school's gymnasium for a week? .
yep, no problems,...could even arrange dodgy accommodation and dodgier wine, all welcome.
Quote:
Opening reception (a must) and a possible cyber-link for those who cant make it ). That way Blake and Underfoot can get drunk and blather with us from thousands of miles away.?
that sounds good too, I'm in
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
It would be fun to try and lock down a venue - if only for a night or two - during the ISC 50th party in NYC (october)

Yes, there must be a way to parallel, sister-with (or parasite) that shabang. Some variation on the "Salon Des Refuses" huh

You got me thinkin Cheese; I have some NYC connections myself. The "proposal" is already composing in my walnut. It may require some legitimate process. Ol' E's on it too.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Level 10 user

So we might sell this show's relevance to everyone else as an alternative "community"; a current-as-can-be method for artists to have discourse, dialogue, criticism, technical exchange, and overall extension of and challenging of views aesthetic and otherwise.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
It would be fun to try and lock down a venue - if only for a night or two -..............

Okay, I'm game as long as I can submit my hooker pieta.

Oh, and I want it under glass,.. erm.. Or at least next to a couple of big guys with black coats, folded arms and wires in their ears. Last exhibition all the doors were open, no gorillas, not even a camera...
Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
Okay, WE jury. I want to see one of Cheese's birdhouses in person. And Evaldart, if you Could bring Medusa or something more Evaldartian than art fairian that would be pretty cool.
No "we" dont jury...No one juries. We have been selected already by our contribution, however small, to this community.

And I wont forget the "artfairian" remark, G.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Level 10 user

Just had a reality check moment about the overall expense. If it proves to be out of reach to attend for some of us, can we just ship the work? With a smiley on it of course.

Quote:
No "we" dont jury...No one juries.
How about popular vote? I recall many posts people wishing they could see a particularly well achieved piece face to face. I think those two mentioned by Grommet were on a few members' list.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
"community"; a current-as-can-be method for artists to have discourse, dialogue, criticism, technical exchange, and overall extension of and challenging of views aesthetic and otherwise.
I think we have another potential exhibition title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
Just had a reality check moment about the overall expense. If it proves to be out of reach to attend for some of us, can we just ship the work? With a smiley on it of course.
I expect that if this show happens most folks would ship something smallish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rika View Post
How about popular vote? I recall many posts people wishing they could see a particularly well achieved piece face to face. I think those two mentioned by Grommet were on a few members' list.
Im with E on the no jury/no voting thing. The show should reflect the forum and the forum has very few filters regarding open contribution.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Level 10 user

The thought of a jury Saps the fun of it. I vote no jury. I'm sure there will be room for everyone. The reason this forum is so interesting is that everyone has their say, good, bad and ugly. Even Oscar (aka Tim, aka whatever) can be in, hell he may even be the star of the show. Maybe he can jet around in that time machine and pick up everyones pieces.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Level 10 user

My point about the sort of jurying I suggested is there's pieces you go back to look at a couple times. If there was a way for you to see them in person, wouldn't you ask??? I'm sure folks will have more things done by the time this thing blossoms, but in the meantime, are folks REALLY gonna be upset if we expressed some interest?
So, is there gonna be WIFI at this thing?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Level 10 user

Yes just ship it. And smallish will likely prevail (but no official limitations - save for those that apply to the actual room). Those who can attend...all the better - but the effectiveness will arrive by the sheer placement of our works together. A group who has long done the "hashing-out" and now puts the cherry on top by placing work truly "with" ( as opposed to ever being untruly with - as accomplished via the internet).

Solid documentation should be pursued and various linkings to various tech could even make it a more hyper-current as an international spectacle. Webcam it for those strapped away at great distances.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
So, is there gonna be WIFI at this thing?
I'd think web cams are a must. Live Vid.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanartists View Post
I'd think web cams are a must. Live Vid.
We could also add some skits, like Ries and Glenn go to the Walker Art Museum in Minneapolis to see the Framplegarp exhibit, The Anything Goes Artist's Dinner, jOe incognito wearing a Groucho Mask at a Seattle Public Library so he can check in on the forum when he left it for good, evaldart playing The Incredible Hulk as he muscles out twisted metal, Tobias and Glenn playing truth or dare with Portoro's architectural sculpture, Merlion giving a tour of his studio while the radio drowns out his narration, Grommet having a food fight with cheespaws at the brie tray, etc. etc.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Level 10 user

Yeah ok no cam and no live vid.
Just a small grainy still tacked on the wall of glenn sitting in minniapolis, at home, on his couch, in his tighty whities. we'll miss you buddy.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Grommet having a food fight with cheespaws at the brie tray, etc. etc.
I would never waste cheese.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Level 10 user

Gotta keep the restrictions to a minimum, or there won't be many entries.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Level 10 user

No one is proposing any restrictions. The room/ space/ interior venue will be the only enforcer. You cant put a 17 foot piece under twelve foot ceilings...see, that is a restriction...sorry.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
eligibility: a forum history has already intoduced us to each other. Those participating folk.
Quote:
I think this is a subject worth debating. This might be the incentive for those lurkers out there to become more public. The forum is read by a lot of people they may not be as participatory but should they too be offered the chance to show?
Give the lurkers a chance?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Level 10 user

Again, the "subject" of the exhibition has everything to do with modes of intellectual/creative exchange. Artists have always done it, quite NEEDED it. This show potentially separates itself from every otyher damned come-one, come-all art exhibit by representing this modern method of creative dialogue. The artifacts that will be viewed will finally give a material significance to that dialogue and that method of dialogue. Regardless of the original or intended content of the sculpture, it will now be overcome under the cradling grip of the "Sculpture.net school". Which is fine, because the whole damned point is to add the unimaginable experience (for us) of making actual "contact". If lurkers wanted contact, they wouldnt be lurkers.

Dont get me wrong, Lurkers are wonderful folks (though a bit quiet for my taste), but they are not affecting this unusual entity of ours (a long-distance network of sculptors who have conversed extensively on all matters as a mode of stimulation, encouragement, critique and sheer amusement..."friends" or "antagonists").

Anyhow, by definition, no "lurker" would wish to participate; because as soon as they made contact they would no longer be a lurker. Get it?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Level 10 user

That critic verbiage in that last post Eval? That kind of semi non-speak makes me think that you'd be the last person in a crowded movie theater fire to yell just "Fire". The folks 'd have to see flames to make the connection with what you were yelling.