Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Level 3 user

How to Find Kinetic Fabricator

I have a 3d piece, and hope to add motion. How do you go about finding someone with a knack for electrical gadgetry? My budget won't exactly put anyone in the top 1%, but it might buy a couple of dinners out.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Level 10 user

Re: How to Find Kinetic Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative View Post
I have a 3d piece, and hope to add motion. How do you go about finding someone with a knack for electrical gadgetry? My budget won't exactly put anyone in the top 1%, but it might buy a couple of dinners out.
What kind of motion do you want to give it? Is the piece articulated, so that you need to power its joints? Something like that is best thought of before building the piece; retrofitting motors and things usually requires attachment points that need to be engineered at the outset. If you just need to spin the piece around or something, that's easier to accomplish. I doubt you'll find many electronics whizzes and mechanical engineers willing to work for the price of a couple of dinners (even in New York restaurants), but you might get some cheap advice on how to do it yourself.

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 11-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Level 3 user

Re: How to Find Kinetic Fabricator

Andrew,
Thanks for getting back, and apologies for the delay responding to your question. The motion is simple (or so it seems to this novice).
The object, a kind of cradle. needs to rock back and forth.
It is a very light plastic object, and weighs around 4 or 5 ounces.
The trick is that the object needs to hang on a wall, so the device have to work at an angle.
It would have to be electric, because changing batteries are a pain.
That's about it.