Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture Community and ISC topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 AM
Level 4 user

How do you polish on bronze?

Hi, Have you tried do mirror polishing on bronze casting ? How do you do that ?
As you know, there will always be some imperfection ( air pockets, welding marks, etc) left on bronze, how do you treat them ?

As far as I know, polishing would amplify those imperfection on bronze casting.

I do see some very nicely polished bronze casting work, do you know how they do that ?
Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Level 10 user

Re: How do you polish on bronze?

It's a nasty business; mirror polishing bronze...back in the '80s all my pieces were mirror finished. But that was only feasible because the castings were close to perfect in that they were being cast not in an art foundry but in a commercial foundry that cast bronze and aluminum parts whose usage necessitated x-raying to look for possible flaws: gears, machine components etc. And even with that the polishing was done by a company that polished metal parts not artwork and still would uncover pinholes etc. that needed to be welded up and polished again. Time consuming and expensive. And though the sculptures looked great at first, it didn't last especially in a gallery setting where they were touched and fingerprints showed and they just naturally tarnished over time. There was nothing effective then that could be applied to the surface to keep the original mirror finish without causing other problems down the road. I still do polish out some areas on some of my pieces, small areas that from time to time need a careful touchup with a little Mother's Cream.

Last edited by Mack : 10-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Level 2 user

It depends at what stage you're at. For polishing my bronzes fresh out of the shell mold I use a small air powered angle grinder with rotary wire brushes and varying grades of sandpaper. To finish I use polishing wax and pumice to get a mirror finish if I want it. But even with the various finishes you can use to keep the mirror finish, acrylics, wax etc. the shine will eventually go. Tell your customers to keep polishing.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Level 4 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Smith View Post
It depends at what stage you're at. For polishing my bronzes fresh out of the shell mold I use a small air powered angle grinder with rotary wire brushes and varying grades of sandpaper. To finish I use polishing wax and pumice to get a mirror finish if I want it. But even with the various finishes you can use to keep the mirror finish, acrylics, wax etc. the shine will eventually go. Tell your customers to keep polishing.
Thanks for your thoughts. Very useful.
One of the biggest obstacles is to fill every pinhole on bronze casting. Because if you don't remove it, it will ruin the overall shiny and polished appearance.

Also, the polishing has to be done in dust free environment to maximize the effect.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Level 10 user

A dust free environment for polishing? Good luck with that! As soon as you start polishing, you've filled the place with polishing fines and dust from the buffs - then I guess you've got to find a new place to work...

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 12-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Level 4 user

We do build a vacuuming operation box which we will put the sculpture into the box for polishing. The vacuuming system will pull all the dust or bits out rapidly. It is very convenient works perfect.
The downside is that it only works for small pieces.

I am seeking solution to work on large size works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Werby View Post
A dust free environment for polishing? Good luck with that! As soon as you start polishing, you've filled the place with polishing fines and dust from the buffs - then I guess you've got to find a new place to work...

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 10-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Level 4 user

Greetings! I have done some high polish mirror finish on bronze. I fabricate most all of my work. For the polish I use a high powered sander and aluminum oxide abrasives. Oh and polishing compounds. best
Old 10-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegnome View Post
Greetings! I have done some high polish mirror finish on bronze. I fabricate most all of my work.
Gno way! Ok - lets see some work Gnome. Post up some work in the image gallery below.

Also to the OP - gold spray paint will make your bronze shiny!
Old 10-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Level 4 user

Here is a quick phone pic. I added as an attachment. I haven't quite gotten more formal pictures done... best!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141018_184506_507.jpg (35.3 KB, 590 views)
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 PM
Level 4 user

here is another pic. I have also done a copper sister piece like this too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10:18:14.jpg (63.5 KB, 577 views)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:23 PM
Level 10 user

Wow, Gnome - would love to see more of those...and know the dimensions. But maybe move them to the image section so we don't kill this thread.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:07 PM
Level 4 user

Hi thank you, The dimensions are: 15X5X3. Hope I did not cause any trouble to the thread... Not too sure how to move them..... ?