Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Sculpture focus topics
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Level 3 user

Filing Copyright

I have two small (8.5" tall) bronze figures I made and I would like to file the paperwork for copyright registration. Suddenly felt worried that I might make on mistake on filling out the forms or something...so wondered if anyone in the community has experience filling them out etc? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Level 10 user

Re: Filing Copyright

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I have two small (8.5" tall) bronze figures I made and I would like to file the paperwork for copyright registration. Suddenly felt worried that I might make on mistake on filling out the forms or something...so wondered if anyone in the community has experience filling them out etc? Thanks.
Ive done it, it's actually no longer required, such works are automatically copyrighted upon creation, but it is easier in court to sue for infringement if you do have registrations as you can show paper trail proof.

It's real simple, and you can even do it on their web site now which costs less than the mailed method and upload the photos there.

You want the form for the visual arts (form VA)

Instructions and form:

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formva.pdf

For the "deposit" on this you send photos not the actual sculpture

Filing fee is $35 for a basic claim (for online filings only)

Log in here, but the hours for offline maintenance are from 5:45 PM Saturday to 6:00 AM Sunday (Eastern Time). The system will be restored to normal operations at 6:00 AM.

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/notice.html

One bit of caution: everything you put on the form becomes public record/viewable by the public, so you need to watch out what address/phone/email you use and where you insert these, if any of these are likely to change any time soon that's not good, if you don't want your home address on this use a POBox or something, similar goes for your phone number. Once entered there is no way to "update" these and they will not change or delete what you had entered, it's there forever.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:04 PM
Level 3 user

Thank you for the thoughtful reply...I will try to complete the online application.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 PM
Level 10 user

Sure thing!

The registration does offer some additional legal benefits and protections if you sue, so it's not a waste of time or money to do it on most items.

For other items such as books it works a little differently with the "deposit" materials, you have to send two complete copies of the book via mail.

Good thing that's not required of sculptures, imagine having to ship two copies of that 1,000# bronze!
Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Level 3 user

Does ask for images, curious how detailed to get? Just photos of four sides with a scale? Or something more?
Old 03-01-2014, 01:38 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Does ask for images, curious how detailed to get? Just photos of four sides with a scale? Or something more?
Just send normal photos large and clear enough to see what the sculpture is, if the form allows 4 or 6 or 8 photos upload as many as you feel shows it well- it's not a juried art show competition, they only need reference photos that clearly show the sculpture, maybe any unusual identifying marks, your signature on the base etc might not be bad to send. Just keep to the file format and below any maximum size they state. If they need more they certainly will tell you.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Level 3 user

Got it. Thanks for your time.