Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Sculpture Roundtable Discussions > Community Help Center
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 AM
ISC Member

GLUEING WAX

I'm afraid this is like asking how to herd cats, but I would like to know if it's possible to glue modelling wax. I acquired a bag of bars of dark brownish black wax some years ago and would like to incorporate some small pieces of it in a bas relief/collage where it would be attached to painted or varnished wood. Only very light weights involved. There is a glue for almost anything, but the nature of wax seems antithetical to attaching anything to it. I'd also like to know what, if any, solvent exists for modelling wax. Thanks much. Biomorph
Old 01-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Level 10 user

Re: GLUEING WAX

Wax isn't generally glued, it's welded. If you're trying to attach wax parts to a substrate, flow a little hot wax onto the wood where you want the parts to be and make sure it's stuck on well. Then position the wax parts where you want them, and using a hot tool, flow some molten wax in between the wax parts and the patch of wax that's adhered to the wood.

Of course, this still wouldn't be considered a permanent piece of art (although I suppose anything goes these days). If you want to make something that will last better, make molds of the wax parts and cast them in some other material that will last better, such as urethane plastic, which will glue easily with urethane-based glues (like "Gorilla" glue).

Most wax dissolves in mineral spirits (paint thinner).

Andrew Werby
Juxtamorph.com
Old 01-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Level 8 user

Re: GLUEING WAX

Some biologists are forever making thin sections of things to be stained and examined with a microscope. The preserved specimen is infiltrated with molten wax, cast in a mold and cooled. The "block" has to be attached to a support to ride up and down for the section cutting process. These blocks are sugar-cube size or a bit bigger.
For attachment, a thin flat metal blade is heated with a simple alcohol lamp.
The blade then rests on the support, the block is set on top and the hot blade melts the wax at the interface. Pull the blade out, let it cool = stuck on but good.
A table knife would do just fine, straight or bent.