Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Level 9 user

Re: Collaboration: Any Thoughts?

Yeah i had a painter who does similar figurative work but in 2d, & 2 sculptors who do totally abstract work ask me to collaborate. I can't for the life of me work out how the hell it would be able to occur.

The painter, i like his work, and he seems a nice guy, i will try to do something with him maybe. i still have no idea how. but i guess you just let it happen, why not.

The 2 sculptors - yeah, no. abstract work - i can't figure why they would want my figures in their totally different work unless they just wanted some actual "life" involved in order to attempt to be more saleable. One of them wanted some figures that he could mould & then use over & over & change them. i don't like that idea at all, not in the slightest.... he would pay me a small amount (doesn't want to actually pay me much of course) for a couple of bodies & then reuse them over & over forever. I think that stinks, quite frankly.

also if you're a sculptor, bloody make your own figures, far out!

Old 08-10-2008, 09:58 AM
ISC Member

hi, I've never collaborated with anyone but myself!
The only person with whom I'd like to collaborate with is my younger brother. He's more creative than me but not at all driven to make art. He also defers to me, his older brother on most things and I fear I'd take over the project or else I'd check my ego at the door, defer to him and lose myself in the process. I do think that we could out Chapman the Chapman brothers but it'll probably never happen.
Have a great day,
Jeff
Old 08-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Level 10 user

I'd love to collaberate with my brother, but on music...but he'd never have me...I'm too crappy a player.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Level 9 user

i guess we can console ourselves that we're awesome sculptors & thats why we never had time to learn to play music...
Old 08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Level 10 user

I have an upcoming 2 person museum exhibition with a photographer. I know his work, and he knows mine... He told me what he was exhibiting, including some new formats and combination imagery...that sparked an idea with me and I'm combining some of my more traditional stone pieces with some wood assemblage.... Not a collaboration on an individual piece, but on an entire exhibit....
Old 08-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
I have an upcoming 2 person museum exhibition with a photographer. I know his work, and he knows mine... He told me what he was exhibiting, including some new formats and combination imagery...that sparked an idea with me and I'm combining some of my more traditional stone pieces with some wood assemblage.... Not a collaboration on an individual piece, but on an entire exhibit....
I like collaboration in this way. Collaboration like in the style of the "schools" of old (Hudson river, early impressionists etc.) To me a small group can inspire and push each other to much further places than they would go on their own. Yet here they still maintain their individual voices.

Collaboration used to go farther, not to compromised and be held back.

Inspiration much like what's going on in the olympics now with the swim team. If they can do the seemingly impossible than so can I.