Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 AM
Level 10 user

Re: Worst Injury or accident you have had as an artist?

In 89 I was cleaning up for an open house at an art complex ,I had a studio in.I was stacking several 4" curved pipes against the wall,on my knees with one hand on the floor,and they slid down the wall.My middle finger,which now is known as my monkey finger cause it is a tad flat,got smashed so hard it blew the end open and I had "fatty tissue" hanging out the end.The pain was so intense I layed on the floor trying to get my breath.When it is cold outside that finger still gets like ice today,eeerrr.My luckiest was having a 7" grinder,of course tired late at night,catch an edge,fly back out of my hands,knock my face shield off my head,and about knock me down over a pile of leathal material.Safty glasses are alright,but I always wear a face shiel no matter what.Anybody have a mig wire skip off the metal,and burn through your glove and finger,who those feel good too...IA
Old 01-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Level 3 user

I was carrying a ladle of molten to pour it into a mold when I stumbled, just a little bit. I poured the lead onto my shoe on my left foot…..which as ok except the lead flowed into the eyelets of my shoe. The lead melted my sock to the top of my foot. I had to go to the emergency room to have them pull the melted sock and now solid lead from the top of my foot…..
Old 01-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Level 10 user

I just suddenly got concerned that we might be tempting fate with this thread and want to offer up a communal "knock on wood" for all posters. Can't hurt.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Level 10 user

yep IA, I recently drove a good half-ich of .035, war-headed red-hot, into my bicep. It made the neatest little hole. No blood, hurt for some days but remained open...I could have put stuff in there, THATs the kind of hole it was.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
ISC Member

Cheese,

Could be right about inviting the bad karma or whatever that is into our existance. Might want to seal this thread up.

Carl
Old 01-21-2009, 07:18 AM
ISC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonofelephant View Post
Cheese,

Could be right about inviting the bad karma or whatever that is into our existance. Might want to seal this thread up.

Carl
I say keep the horror stories coming. I've done and continue to do many stupid things and as a result have been burned, cut and banged up as much as anyone else but have so far avoided very serious injury, I think in part, thanks to watching other morons do REALLY stupid things. Student "Artists" can be especially vulnerable if they lack mechanical experience. There is an attitude among some who believe that the rules of industrial or job site safety do not apply to them simply because it is "ART". I would encourage anyone delving into the world of sculpture to seek out the most gruesome industrial safety films to see what can happen If you can stomach that then perhaps you can handle the true pain of trying to make a living as an artist.
I once saw a great display from the College of the Canyons Art Department at a welding trade show that was several poster boards of photographs of bench grinder accidents. Thinking of it still makes my knuckles ache. One of their points was that even with all the safety gear in pace, there are inherent dangers in not paying attention.
Stay out of the kill zone!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Level 10 user

I love it that all welding supply/compressed gas stores always have great news-clippings of blown-up vehicles on the wall; like the guy who shoved a 300 ace tank into the backseat of his Corrolla (valve not quite tight enough) and blew himself to smithereens lighting a cigaret.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Level 10 user

Another day another dollar. Back when I was immortal. 7 stories up, no shock cord. Since the buzz box only had short leads I had to drag it to within ten feet of wherever I was working. Id buy hundreds of feet of #2 bx cable for a makeshift extensions and hardwire it into the buildings power box...no breaker - straight in. Then Id weld all over the place from atop my ALUMINUM ladder. Heres a shot of me trimming a platform with the Partner gas-powered cut-off saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highwire3.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	10011  
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Level 5 user

Now that's seriously brave Eval!! I used to be in the building industry and have spent many years using petrol disc cutters and the kick back from them can be awesome (as i'm sure you know)!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Level 10 user

Funny this post should occur now! I just dropped 800 lbs of lime stone on my leg. Saturday at 1:00 had a wedding to go to at 5:00 so no time for doctor or hospital. Just lots of drink. My leg is now quite the yellow color I am sure it will be pruple soon! Cant wait. lol. Nothing broken just a bit squished. lots of wire through my fingers. 2 close calls with the Grinder ( only stiches)! I cant tell you how many times I have wacked my self with the 4 lb sledge.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Level 10 user

I use an apron while cutting and carving. It's saved me from many a "climb your shirt and maul your face" accidents. I do fear the ultimate death of kick-back on an 8" brazed diamond blade on an angle grinder into the jugular.
A convienant suicide/accident option should I choose to leave early.

Mark
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 AM
Level 5 user

I cant help but comment on what an interesting image this is. Composition and content are supurb. the angles of the doorway and the ladder, the amount of sky, the balance between the red machine and the dude on the platform. And the history of the building in the brickwork with the various doors and windows bricked in over the years is facinating. or is it just me..?

my worst accident while making art... Inviting input while still a work in progress. does my head in every time..!

Last edited by rusted_art : 03-01-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusted_art View Post
Inviting input while still a work in progress. does my head in every time..!
Classic!