Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Level 9 user

Re: make a living

It's NOT a time machine. Thats what those who don't understand call it. So, as it sits, it's not art?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Level 10 user

Well so much for that idea then, I tried craigslist, but no one rents time machine services there yet I guess.

I can get a skidsteer pretty cheap though.

I dunno O, is it art or is it not... I think even an uncarved rock has some "artness" to it, be it minimal and the more energy/artness you put into that in the form of creativity, manual skill, passion combined with a dose of coincidence or luck will determine whether or not it is Art.. I'm not sure that pure Art can be achieved any more than pure energy can. There will always be some trade-off and if there weren't, then everything would be art or none of it would be art and I don't believe in that black and white stuff.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Level 9 user

It's art. I just like trying to work up conversation about it. From the other side it looks like minamalism...a la Tony Smith.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Level 10 user

hey outsider ya i think you posted a pic this one before? but from the other side if i remember right you would never know that it is enter able
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Level 10 user

O, it appaears that you've finally decided to "fill-up" some of your languishing geometric abstractions...turned them into new pieces altogether. Used-up alotta that stuff thats been layin' around. Thats great! You are blazing something here and your theatrical claims of barriers broken only add to it. Where once it was all about forms it is now about formulas (mathematical). You are exhibiting a restrained but apparent disdain for commerciality and attention exactly as you approach the media...straight-faced and empowered. You don't have to worry about flying anywhere because the seat of your pants is carrying you just fine. Its Art because, despite your proclamations, these things are being brought into the world for every purpose BUT function. I can't imagine where its all going but it damn sure looks exciting (now isnt this much better than the painted steel palm trees).

Your IQ must be dropping because you seem pointedly smarter these days.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Level 9 user

My Y-16 vessel..er..sculpture was first built in 1997. Half was open and half was closed. The 2000 CBS video shows the vessel being tested live as a teleportation device. All the electronics but not the capacitors and coils, were stripped out during the Bush administration. In 2002 the piece was closed up completely, painted with blue aluminized enamel paint, and set in a field where it promptly attracted a tornado and was tipped over. It then was loaned to a city hall of a local suburb and then to a nite club. The engine was built as a stand alone Z.P.E. generator in 2004. Fall of 2008 the piece, now called Blue Diamonds, was brought back to the studio. Cuts into the piece were made quickly and the generator was retro-fitted becoming the engine. The DC circuit is yet to be completed so as the pilot headset.

Where is this going? One of the first to introduce parallel world theory was Ellie Carton a French Mathematician. He wrote letters to Albert Einstein. Einstein couldn't understand. Princeton compiled the letters in a book called Absolute Parallelism. Groups have built apparatus to journey to the parallel worlds. Y-16 is my ship. F-3 is the planet I started building 15 years ago. I've heard G7 has 300-500 people on it. I am Christopher Columbus!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Level 9 user

The 3 day limit on editing comments is just not right. I find myself having to correct a previous comment for prosperity sake.

Plans were started for the stand alone generator in 2004 but the X-Gen itself was not completed until 2006-2007.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
The 3 day limit on editing comments is just not right. I find myself having to correct a previous comment for prosperity sake..
Interesting that you want to go back in time and undo one or two things yourself. I'm starting to think that the edit button is the cowards way out, it represents to me a way to rewrite history and it appears that there's a lot of people who wish they could do that,; from governers to car companies to forum posters... lol
Old 12-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Level 10 user

I think it means we're capable of self assessment and/or learning.
That said, no regrets, just move on.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet View Post
That said, no regrets, just move on.
Exactly right, there's no edit button in life either, what is done is done and the future is as bright as you make it. I'm eyeing out an F-350 for next year, a decked out dinosaur bone chomping beast as something tells me there's going to be new lower prices on the horizon.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Level 9 user

Life itself may not have an edit button however, ALL devices that record life do have edit buttons. This forum records words typed by individuals. There are indeed edit buttons on this forum. After 3 days, the power of the edit button is held solely by the administrator of this forum. I recorded a date wong in an above comment. I am unable to correct the date other than to make another post. I know without a doubt, that in a court of law, you could get your comments removed. There isn't even anything mentioned in the flimsy user aggreement about this. The writer retains copyright of their word.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Level 10 user

Ain't nuthin but a chicken wing O, peeples makes mistakes and they can and do often lead to the greatest successes.. Anyway, this has put me in the mood for some work and I was thinking about some semi-flatty stuff, your cruise ship was something that came to mind when I was looking at my blank claybord in the corner and well,.. off we go.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Level 5 user

Making a Living is an important issue for all of us here.
I do not think that having a degree or other certificate will mean that you will make a living from art. I think that taking a course may help you become a better artist but this doesn't always mean that you will find it easy to make a living out of art.
On the other hand, I know of artists who have had little or no training at all but they manage to make a living out of art.
While reading about history of art, one will find many excellent artists who have died in poverty and others who have died rich.
Making a living from art depends on many factors. Sometimes it is just a question of being in the right place in the right time.
I think that it is very difficult to decide to make a living entirely on art in a short span, unless one has some very good contacts. Especially during a recession.
Personally, I have decided to dedicate as much ime as possible to art and still keep a full time job until I build a reputation that is slowly growing with my talent.

http://www.bottegin.com
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Level 10 user

dreams are the difference between aspirations and really intense hobbies.
or something...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Level 10 user

so are you a sculptor, or do you like to make sculpture in your free time?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Level 10 user

arent edit buttons great

Last edited by chris 71 : 12-13-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Level 3 user

Quote:
so are you a sculptor, or do you like to make sculpture in your free time?
well, I don't know that I would make the distinction between a "sculptor" and "one who makes sculpture in your free time". But, I suppose the defining mark is making art full time and as a profession or source of income. I would like to call myself a "sculptor", but I have not chosen to pursue my passion as a source of income, so it is something that I think about doing when I'm not sculpting. Right now, I guess I "sculpt in my free time".

However, even if I did something other than sculpting on my free time and my non-free time was devoted to sculpting, I wouldn't like to label myself as a "sculptor", but rather label myself as a person who is passionate about creating. And this is how I label myself today.

I've taken a shot at interacting with what I perceive your definitions are, but I don't know if I've done so in the context of what your definitions are.

What are your defining marks?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Level 10 user

It's difficult to perceive the context of my statements when the person i was talking to removed his posts. Chris?...
It sounds to me like you consider yourself an artist. My definition has nothing to do with money other than a hope for some. It is rather a passion and commitment to something as opposed to something you do to amuse yourself, similar to going to the movies or bowling, for instance. Not a flash in the pan, but part of your driving force, intrinsic.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Level 10 user

sorry mama bear those dang edit buttons are so tempting and we only get so long to push them. i will try to refrain from hitting them next time
Old 12-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Level 3 user

Quote:
It's difficult to perceive the context of my statements when the person i was talking to removed his posts. Chris?...
It sounds to me like you consider yourself an artist. My definition has nothing to do with money other than a hope for some. It is rather a passion and commitment to something as opposed to something you do to amuse yourself, similar to going to the movies or bowling, for instance. Not a flash in the pan, but part of your driving force, intrinsic.
I understand. A commitment and passion to sculpt, that I do possess; to the degree that you would define those qualities associated with one who is a "sculptor" I don't know, but I sure don't care. For me, sculpting is an expression and source of energy. It's not a weekend hobby for me. It's an outlet and an inlet I use to obtain sense of accomplishment and control. I use it to make sense and to find sense. It's a process as I am a process.
But, to avoid being preceived as being reductive, or wishy washy, names and labels are helpful and unavoidable, but sure are more helpful to receive when they are clearly defined and allowed for room to grow.

It's easier to couch one's bias inside a name rather than communicate all the bits of info associated with that name. It seems that sometimes, names or labels are used by a person to set a boundary(s). Perhaps to set another person apart from someone else or something else, for good and/or bad; maybe for protection, maybe for personal gain, maybe for limiting other possible knowledge, maybe for other reasons. In my personal life, I am seeking to pursue the possible and options beyond limit setting perceptions. Especially on an online forum such as this, language and how it is communicated sometimes makes my pursuit difficult. Thank you for clarifying who your question was directed to.

Do you have a website or pictures of your work posted somewhere? I checked your profile and didn't see anything. I'm interested in seeing what you have created. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Do you have a website or pictures of your work posted somewhere? I checked your profile and didn't see anything. I'm interested in seeing what you have created. Thanks for sharing!
I can't divulge that info or my cover as a secret agent will be blown. I sent you a message with locator info.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Level 3 user

I create my art because I love it first, not for the $, although it is nice. I haven a full time job, but would love to work at this game full time. I know with the pieces I create it could be done.

I'm still an "amateur" and consider my stone pieces to be slightly crude in their completed state. HOWEVER, the thing I do have (if I might brag a little) is a creative flare for the unusual, unique, original pieces most collectors have NEVER seen. I am able to overide the imperfections with the "ah" factor in those whom collect my work. There is little I can't imagine and little I won't create. I take risks all the time. I often sit and let figures and themes bounce around inside my mind for hours, pen, papper in hand. When one makes me jump from my seat, it usually is sitting in a stone formation a few days later.

I have little influence other then my own mind and in reality I want to keep it this way. I like the concept of reinventing the wheel when it comes to my creative part of this work.

I only market my work at local art shows, but have already gathered a nice batch of faithful collectors and offers to show my work at a few small galleries.

I would describe my work as having a slight Native influence or look to it, but far from being traditional. I'm not Native and certainly do not market my work that way, but it does have that "style" to it. In fact, many collectors refer to it as "Native-Style" which is the legal way for non Natives to promote such styles of work. I choose not to. I am asked at every show, if I am Native or part Native given the style of my work and the amazing thing is, this was never my intention. I am always honest in stating I am not Native, but many collectors see an influence there, that I first never knew existed.

So how does this all tie in "making a living" Well, two things have to happen before I quit my day job. The "crude" factor in my work needs to be eliminated and needs to match my creativity. AND, I need to be able to produce my work at a greater pace. Once this is achieved, I believe the sky will be the limit for income potential. I base this, again, on wherever I show my art, it sells and sells fast. It is not at all uncommon for me to go to a medium sized venue with 15-20 stone pieces and come home with nothing left.

Last year I claimed $12,000 on my tax return from vending sales, this after all my deductions. I worked on my art about 10 hours per week, plus time to go to shows. Multiply that times 4 and you get the picture. Perfect my craft and the prices I get will be much higher. This is where I hope to go.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Level 3 user

thanks for the clearly stated and detailed response Travelbud. I hope you find continued success and fulfillment of your creative ambitions!

cheers!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Level 10 user

The best way to get a gallery gig is to walk in and talk to the gallery director.
Have samples of your work, prices, certificates, if you offer them, and be ready to put your work in the gallery right then. That has worked for me when the fit was right everytime. In a situation like that, credentials mean squat. The quality and impresssion of the work is the most important factor, bar none.....Have all your ducks in a row and be ready to sign an agreement. Having a good picture book is helpful, as is having your own consignment agreement. Bottom line, If your work fits- your in right then. If it doesn't fit go to another gallery. Most importantly, have a substantial amount of completed work ready to go in the gallery!
If it doesn't feel right don't commit. If it feels right commit and keep an eagle eye on the gallery to see that they honor your agreement for the first few weeks. Vigilance to their trustworthiness is important and will build a good relationship. Be ready to offer and change out works if sales are slow. That's a tough one though, right now, given the state of the economy. Pull your work if you think they aren't competent or motivated to sell it. I have pulled out of twice as many galleries as I am in, just because things weren't feeling right or playing out as they should. (I've driven 400 miles after only 2 weeks to pull works becuase the gallery didn't post the work on the website or promote it the way they promised.) Each decision to bail proved valid over time. No hard/fast rules here. Galleries can be as flakey as any other secular business.
Go to artbusiness.com and read the articles by Alan Bamberger. Eye opening and flagrantly disillusioning, but worth every word....

Mark

Last edited by desertrock : 12-18-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Level 10 user

Whew! Just read all five pages of this thread in one sitting! WOW! What I myself noticed is that Evaldart TRIED to convey (and no one seemed to get it) was that making a "bench" is a boring , been there done that, bill paying composition. What he would RATHER spend his time doing is in fact that "Jump out of your seat and create" feeling that travelbud mentioned. I am amazed that with all the "users" here (I am referring to the high you get when you are truly CREATING) that not one caught on to what he (Evaldart) was trying to say. I am also surprised that Matt couldn't get his point across, this must surely be a first for you, Matt.

P.S. Nice bench , Matt

Dustin , welcome aboard!

www.tiredironsculptures.com