Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Level 3 user

Re: make a living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Schroeder View Post
Hey Dustin, here's a side note. Noticed you make reference to Jesus at the bottom of your post. You may not realize it ......but there's the Jesus art crowd, then there's the non-Jesus art crowd. They don't mix very well. You'll have to choose which camp you fall into, then proceed from there. Finding a middle ground is an option but will require deception on your part which may be objectionable. I bring this up because the " Art World " is more or less the secular humanist world, talk of prophets may hurt your bottom line. It all depends on presentation. Heads up, it may be a factor, at least as it relates to making a living .
While I agree, most serious art collectors are eccentric in nature, most still have some form of faith based beliefs. 84% of all Americans practice and believe in some form of Judeo Christianity and 93% of all Americans believe in a creator or God-like figure as the key component in life formation.

So when you folks refer to Christians as the last few remaining dinosaurs walking planet earth, you are sadly mistaken. Yes, even flaming, left-wing liberals have their beliefs. To imply that nobody is going to buy this guys artwork because he mentions Jesus, is absurd. Now a "bible thumper" I agree would not likely fare well in this arena, but someone with faith based beliefs? Again, most all people have them.

Art sells itself. If people are drawn to it, they will buy it. They don;t care if someone says their nightly prayers.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Level 9 user

Go to college Dustin. It will keep your work from being shallow. Everything is psuedo-science when you have a high school education.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Level 3 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
Go to college Dustin. It will keep your work from being shallow. Everything is psuedo-science when you have a high school education.
ok, well, I have a B.A. in Philosophy and 75% on my way to completing a M.A. in Community counseling. I will be pursuing some sculpting classes at a community college or university when I move. I don't think that I'll be needing a MFA to produce and sell my work. I look for opportunities to learn regardless of a university environment, but I will and do pursue discussion of art with current professionals and Professors. And, I agree that limited education will limit work to some degree, and I believe I will always pursue learning regardless of what programs I enter.

cheers
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Level 9 user

I assumed wrong. Thought you were contemplating college or apprenticeship and I thought you were heading towards a life completely dedicated to art. Community counseling takes you away from sculpting. Not saying community counseling is bad. My own view is that I'm sick and tired of half assed shallow shlock flooding the market and preventing good developed work from even being seen. I mean if you are gonna do it...then do it...or get the hell out and buy your art instead of trying to make it.

I'm going to now place a 12 volt battery on the supply side of a 1200 watt inverter to allow ac curent to flow to the octehedron armature motor within the Y-16 engine and test the circuits. just one small step of many... Psuedo science until it works. Time travel - no ...inner-space travel - yes.

1 hour later.....argh...3 way switch wired wrong

2 hours later...nope..bad switch..replaced

Last edited by outsider : 12-03-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Level 10 user

In my view most sculpture is created using common tools from some industry. I dont think you need to go to school or even aprentise to a sculptor. Find a tradesman who needs help,learn the tools, clean up, learn to work hard. If you do this you will gain the respect of that person then they will show you how to do any thing. If any of you think being the son of a trades person has made it easier for Sam you are a fool. Trades people work hard using very precise methods( not half ass art instruction). you may know how to use a welding machiene but you probably dont know how to weld. I bet Sam can do anything that shop can. That is invaluable knowledge. Sorry about the rant. If you learn from a trades person you get to develop your own style not be influenced by profs.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I mean if you are gonna do it...then do it...or get the hell out and buy your art instead of trying to make it.
Nah, if its worth doing its worth doing badly. With your attitude no one would sing Karaoke or play golf or "dance like the stars". It could put comedians out of business.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Level 9 user

Knowledge is tools.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Knowledge is tools.
No way O, knowledge can just as easily be the opposite of tools. It can clutter, inhibit and destroy a potential good thing. It can send you down a path by teasing you with the charade of "answers". Answers are candy and baubles. Schooling and study only prepares you for a lifetime of functioning and participating. Things that end up happening even without cramming more and more in your head. Knowledge is everywhere...not a rare or unique thing at all. Better of to avoid it...or shed some if you've foolishly accrued too much. If your not depending at least 50% on your physicality, your bodily meanderings, your tactile engorgings, your shin-cracking interactions with the reality that surrounds you...then you are only doing life half way. Your best tool is your body...use it up.

Last edited by evaldart : 12-03-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Level 10 user

E, just because you have the tools does not mean you have to use all of them all the time. Sure you can make art with the barest of essentials, but wouldn't you rather have the choice sometimes of what "tools" to use?

Quote:
Your best tool is your body...use it up.
Better to use it wisely, your body will wear out before your brain does most likely. Feelin' superhuman again?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias View Post
In my view most sculpture is created using common tools from some industry. I dont think you need to go to school or even aprentise to a sculptor. Find a tradesman who needs help,learn the tools, clean up, learn to work hard. If you do this you will gain the respect of that person then they will show you how to do any thing.
That assumes that the "sculpting" starts when the tools get picked up. Not usually the case in my book.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesepaws View Post
That assumes that the "sculpting" starts when the tools get picked up. Not usually the case in my book.
I agree, the specific tools are not particularly important. The value lies in learning to work and think as a craftsman. Finishing tasks within a given set of tolerances teaches discipline, attention and multi-step thought. These skills translate quite well to envisioning a sculpture, planning it's execution and following through on the labor required, regardless of the particular tools used.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Level 10 user

on what level, what makes you, $$$$
to hell with the mill
i did it my way, didnt need any help or instruction
grab your favor it tool and make something
how many piece does it take to make you successful?
i did it, maybe not NY style but i make a living

Last edited by craigktx : 12-04-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Level 8 user

Quote:
Your best tool is your body...use it up.
Sure, with the caveat that your most important muscle is your brain.

Quote:
If you are clever, determined, and deferential to the professors, I think you can get what you want as a part-time student for a fraction of the cost, but you might have to fish around through a few schools....
I agree with this absolutely. But, the biggest thing matriculating in an MFA program gets you is time. Time to learn and pick brains, sure. But just as importantly, it gives you time to try new things and screw them up badly. And time to pick out some interesting side effects from those mistakes and try something new. And then time to hone that into a finished body of work.

There is also lots of money to be had for full time students.

Bill
www.billwolff.net
Old 12-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Level 10 user

The brain is no muscle. Its a pompous insufferable sponge. Needs to be taken down a notch or two...put in its place, dethroned, usurped, deflated, exposed and cut-down to size. Your body is the manhandler or actuality, it feels the strain of existence...pays the price. Let that body decide things and your work will connect authentically...as opposed to fictitiously.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldart View Post
The brain is no muscle. Its a pompous insufferable sponge. Needs to be taken down a notch or two...put in its place, dethroned, usurped, deflated, exposed and cut-down to size. Your body is the manhandler or actuality, it feels the strain of existence...pays the price. Let that body decide things and your work will connect authentically...as opposed to fictitiously.
once upon a time
and a long time ago it was,
the human body was confused
and needed to
find a boss
the hands said they should be boss because they reached out to the world
the eyes said they should be boss because they were the means of seeing the world
the mouth screamed that it should be boss because it communicated and initiated the feeding of the rest of the body
the lungs said they should be boss because they gave the power of oxygenation to the body's furnace
the stomach said it should be boss because it processed the fuel for the body's furnace
the muscles said they should be boss because they motivated the body
the bones said they should be boss because without them the muscles would be worthless
and so it went in a raging cacophony of ever louder conflicting views
until,
after one really loud bellow that sounded suspiciously like a bronx cheer
he shut himself off
soon
the stomach felt pain and refused more food
the eyes grew bleary
the muscles grew weak
etc...etc
and the body slumped to the ground
weak and exhausted
and all the disparate elements agreed
to let the asshole be the boss

and so it has been ever since
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Level 10 user

that was hilarious sculptor and so true. did you just make that one up on the fly or have you been waiting to use it
Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Level 9 user

Personally, I'm offended and quite tired of art that is made without thought. Gesture and spontanaiety are wonderful but just how much does that say? Twisted abstract forms or copied forms of nature ..... yawn

"It is the duty of the artist to bring beauty to the people and conjure thought among them". I forget who said this but we all agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it is a challenge to get people thinking.

Simply, ...the more you know .... the more you can say!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
The brain is no muscle. Its a pompous insufferable sponge. Needs to be taken down a notch or two...put in its place, dethroned, usurped, deflated, exposed and cut-down to size. Your body is the manhandler or actuality, it feels the strain of existence...pays the price. Let that body decide things and your work will connect authentically...as opposed to fictitiously
I can only begin to guess that the sparks that ignite your brain have leached into your greedy body, which has volunteered to perform all tasks. This leaves the upper cathedral a cavity to collect words to be sneered at by the rest of the proudly suffering corporeal mess. The fingers flippantly type words stolen once more from the skull. Thief.

On another note, I agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Beauty as a goal is trite.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Level 10 user

Sculptor's poetic offering reminded me (not in style but in subject) of a poem I wrote in eighth grade, which I am able to share because somehow my mom had saved my eigth grade journal all these years, found it when sorting through stuff, and mailed it to me a couple years ago to my great suprise.
And here it is, unedited:

The Body

Mr. Skin fought Ferdanand Arm
He was hitting high and low
The battle looked pretty decisive
but in came Mr. Toe.

Toe took Skin
and belted him
He had him on hands and knees,
But in came Joe Disease.

Joe took Toe
With a nasty blow
and made him scream in pain.
Then came Frank Brain.

Pretty soon the whole body was fighting,
Swinging to and fro.
It was a little bloody, kind of cruddy
But Silence was demanded by Joe.

Said He, "This ain't fair
to the man out there,
He was sleeping peacefully
but is now having a Nightmare

And it is all because of us.
After all it is he who feeds us
Cleans us, Rests us, and other stuff.
Let's stop this fight, its getting rough"

So they stopped the fight
And all was right
The Man woke up safe and sound.
For traces of the fight he never found.

Last edited by GlennT : 12-04-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: While not editing the original, I did have to edit my own typo.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
Personally, I'm offended and quite tired of art that is made without thought. Gesture and spontanaiety are wonderful but just how much does that say? Twisted abstract forms or copied forms of nature ..... yawn

"It is the duty of the artist to bring beauty to the people and conjure thought among them". I forget who said this but we all agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but it is a challenge to get people thinking.

Offended, c'mon O...we're not a bunch of pansie-assed flatties and braniacs here. But I understand...YOU would never offend anyone.

Yeah Sculptor...great stuff...
You too, Glenn...writing poetry in junior high makes you tough (ass whoopins). Helps you prepare your body for the worst...so you end up a sculptor.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
On another note, I agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Of course...duh?
Beauty as a goal is trite. You are always rewarded by something beautiful, how can beauty be trite as a goal. What is a better goal?
Trite?

Also to GlennT: thanks for sharing the neat little poem.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
YOU would never offend anyone.
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Level 10 user

Quote:
I have to reflect on this, because a while ago I was thinking, the more I know the less I have to say. Interesting.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Level 10 user

On another note, I agree beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Quote:
Of course...duh?
Beauty as a goal is trite.
Quote:
You are always rewarded by something beautiful, how can beauty be trite as a goal. What is a better goal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jOe~ View Post
Trite?
Duh back atcha buddy.
Yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, fickle, unless you're pretty mainstream walmart shallow pleasable. Better to have any other thing as a goal and potential beauty a mere by-product of your efforts. Why would your soul/sole goal be airhead eyecandy? Oh, maybe you're a walmart afficionado. Nevermind.
Are you satisfied with never going past pleased, or do you wish to surpass that and head toward glowing screaming joy?
Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Level 1 user

This response goes back a few posts to what I think original intentions were. I offer no clear answers to what Dustin was inquiring, however I do wish the best of luck to any of you aspiring sculptors with ANY sort of technical skill. It has been my experience that most sculptors do not want any actual skilled fabrication help. So maybe with the degree and little technical working knowledge- the floor sweeper position may be had. If however you are talented with your hands as well as your mind finding someone that would utilize your skills and thus improve themselves and you may be futile. I suppose only time will tell.