Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net  

Go Back  Sculpture Community - Sculpture.net > Community Announcements > Polls
User Name
Password
Home Sculpture Community Photo Gallery ISC Sculpture.org Register FAQ Members List Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Level 10 user

Sculpture Exhibit Rental

This idea was conceived from the recent downturn in the economy. It has been brewing for awhile, however.
I have now begun building more custom pedestals designed to be showcased to display stone sculpture in harmony with traditional, formal event decor, especially weddings and receptions. The pedestals (18" tall) will be draped with round black and white round tablecloth type decorations to blend with formal event decor. Black and white sashes around the column of the pedestal will be an additional addage.
The table-top pedestals will be 18" tall X 15" wide/round top and bottom with a 6" wide round column attaching the top and bottom. No pics because they are still in production.
I will be pulling most works from the galleries I'm associated with, with the exception of 1 or 2 works to remain in each gallery.
I will have an inventory of approximately 40 works to offer as start-up, "for-hire", exhibits for ANY type of event, the market is broad, and the marketing approach and exploration is still in development.
The webpage that features the concept and offering is up. The verbage and pitch is still in the refinement stage.
Your comments are welcomed and encouraged, as this is a pilot venture and a novel approach to providing "sculpture for hire" if you will, but with a goal to integrate with traditional decorations for formal events. Sales are a bonus but not a marketing tool.
The exhibit will be ready to offer in full in the next 4 to 5 days. It is offered now with a limit to the number of existing formal pedestals and lighting available.
Your feedback is appreciated.
I am moving forward with this venture with hopes that, once networked, the end result will be bookings for exhibits to be continuous.
The link is below. Thank you for your input.
http://www.desertrockcreations.com/E...Sculpture.html
Mark

Last edited by desertrock : 10-28-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Level 3 user

Re: Sculpture Exhibit Rental

Mark, Your link has a 404 error
Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Level 3 user

http://www.desertrockcreations.com/E...culpture1.html

Here is the link.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:06 AM
ISC Member

Mark,

Very creative concept to repackage your sculpture to give you more income from the same pieces. Wish you a lot of success.

Carl
Old 11-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Level 10 user

The official site is now:
www.sculptureexhibit.com
I have about 40 works to offer after bringing work back from the galleries.
I still have work in the galleries.
I will be marketing to special event and conference organizers.
Your feedback is appreciated.

Mark
Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Level 2 user

I think that is a fantastic idea.

$250 a night seems pretty cheap though - I understand that you may have made that amount as a minimum as a 'credit crunch recession busting" incentive...but once you've factored in your time setting up and taking down, plus your transport costs?

People tend to spend small fortunes on weddings and special events-and corporate events for executives - heck $250 is pocket money.

You have some really amazingly beautiful artworks that would really set an atmosphere.

in my opinion you should up your minimum - (but you know what they say about opinions...)
Old 11-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Level 10 user

I'm assuming a small event will lease at least 10. As I start setting up an event the numbers on the lease contract can go up with additional sculptures. (Later, all the prices will go up.) I'll have 25 to 30 pieces with me for an event regardless of size.
There will be no price cards and nothing will be for sale at the event.
The reason for that is to maintain a high integrity and standard for the service offered, art decoration, rather than a sales exhibit. I believe that will further encourage interest and interaction with the exhibit. It also dispells the assumption that artists should show their work for free, simply for exposure, a common mindset that belongs on the shelf.
Thank you for the compliment.

Mark
Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Level 10 user

Mark your work (its size, feel, style) certainly lends itself well to this new business. No need for cards or info as your pieces speak for themselves. Let us know how it goes. Are they a PITA to move and transport around or is it second nature for you? What will you do about breakage?
Old 11-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Level 10 user

I have broken one piece out of stupidity.
I wrap them in high density moving blankets, which do very well.
I can pack 25 to 30 for an exhibit and the set-up, take down is very smooth.
This weekend will mark the kick-off, with all the frills and add-ons intact and ready.
I'm doing a 16 person dinner tomorrow night at my home. There will be a full blown set-up for a photo shoot for more photos for the website.

Thanks!!!

Mark

Last edited by desertrock : 11-15-2008 at 12:00 AM. Reason: My spelling suks
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Level 10 user

Looking forward to seeing the pics..... Good Luck.

And i like the Rental idea. Most who will rent would probably not be buying anyway but their friends might. Way to get paid to get your stuff out and around. And if you rent the pieces they have the potential to make more than they would if sold and you still have them to sell at a later date after they've already paid for themselves.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Level 7 user

DesertRock -

Kudoos for your enterprising initiative and self-determination! You have a true pioneer spirit. Your beautiful artwork is perfect for the events you are targeting and indeed will complement any formal gathering.

Your new website conveys your professionalism and does a great job of showcasing your work.

A few suggestions:
- "compliment" should be "complement" (About Us page)
- the fee schedule might gain in clarity if you were to put "# of sculptures" on top of the grouping of sculpture (otherwise the first idea is that the group refers to the number of people, lets make it easier at first reading); and boxing "what the delivery entails" and moving it a bit to the right to separate it from the price columns and eliminating visual clutter.
- Instead of the "exhibition gallery" title which is not immediately understood as being different from "Available work" you may want to say something like "Past events" and when the page opens, put the name of the event on top above the pictures.
- Also, in the current design of the "exhibition Gallery" I find that the pictures are a bit too crammed together, seem to belong to two different sets (color scheme and event) and thus loose their impact and evocative power. If you keep the two pictures on the left with some space between them and the headline of the event on top, then the result, I think, will be visually more pleasing, and will convey better the intimacy and quality of the setup. Right now I feel that the two (beautiful) pictures on the right clash a bit with the others. You could put these two pictures underneath perhaps with another headline if they were taken at another event. This section will be, of course, your most powerful marketing tool along with word-of-mouth.
- It seems to me that it would be more consistent to put the "Table-top pedestal options" under the "Available work" section.
- The picture of "Newness in life" does not expand on the current exhibition gallery.
- "Available works" perhaps just "Sculptures" would do and I think there is too much visual clutter around the pictures, so, there is no need to refer to
--- the weight, non-sculptors do not think in those terms and if they have a question, let them call you, once you have them on the phone you are half way there.
--- Details about dimensions . Instead, you could put average dimensions under each heading (small, medium, large) in lieu of the dimension for each piece which is visual clutter and detract from the visual attraction of the piece.
--- Materials. Instead put a one line on top that describes the materials of the pieces. In general, you want people to have an instant yearning for the piece not start to worry about weight, read too much, or compute dimensions.

All the best - Z
Old 11-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Level 10 user

Thank you very much. Very good suggestions. Thank you for spending the time to review the site and, make recommendations. I will do some tweaking this weekend.

Mark
Old 11-23-2008, 07:32 AM
ISC Member

Great idea! Art Bank Canada does this kind of thing too, but with artists across Canada. Keep us posted on how it goes.